A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,496
Currently Running With Scissors:
616 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Out of the Sewing Machine and into the Forge  (Read 13211 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

llisaredd
While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats. - Mark Twain

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008 07:01:10 PM »

You should be proud momma! You've done a fine job with that man of yours Smiley His work is amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PinFish
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2008 07:08:08 PM »

He's only 15?! And already that good? You'd better be ready for the first year he goes and works at a ren faire or similar- he's going to have women in bustiers ALL over him! That's absolutely amazing!

...*goes to convince fiance to learn blacksmithing on the internets*
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008 07:08:41 PM by PinFish » THIS ROCKS   Logged

BoredYetCynical
durka durka

Hey, Hey, I wanna be a rock star.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2008 07:08:22 PM »

Have you ever heard of a rendezvous? I read your post and couldn't find it in there... if you mentioned it I'm sorry for being a dolt, lol). He could actually make and sell stuff at these. They're Mountain men and native american re-enactments. My dad and brother participate in them. My brother does the black smithing thing too. He was inspired by a man who calls himself Buffalo Man... my brother got the name Buffalo Chip. If you'd like some more information on he Rendezvous and see if your son wants to participate here's a link to my dad's website that's all about them: http://www.wizzywigweb.com/longshot/

Rendezvous are how my dad and my brother learned how to sew... they've both made themselves several outfits.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"This is way beyond my remote concern of being condescending"

Baby Sean Born on Nov. 11th 2007
Songs4Drowning
lost soul livin' in a fish bowl

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2008 07:13:51 PM »

Your kid = my hero. I'm in awe of his ingenuity.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

narhloki
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2008 07:32:16 PM »

You must be an awesome mom.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lightninglacey

rock paper scissors

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2008 07:34:22 PM »

I had to call my mom and have her look at this, it is something my brother's would do. (I have one brother who became obsessed with vikings at age 16 and taught himself the Norse language, my other brother  participates in the randezvous that the previous poster mentioned and he has made himself several bows and arrows and sewn quivers and outfits, and he just turned 13) Tell him to keep up the good work! there are so many bad things 15 year olds can be getting into. It's so good that he found a great hobby
THIS ROCKS   Logged
waggonswest
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2008 07:53:07 PM »

Thank you all for your kind comments and helpful suggestions.  My son is the coolest. He was determined to learn how to do this and figured it all out on his own!  He'd appreciate it if you let him know what you think about the objects he's made.  He wants input on what to do next. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://waggonswest.etsy.com
25/12,  14/13
57/50 in 2010, 53/50 in 2011, 85/50 in 2012 83/50 in 2013 link, 12/2014
4/14
Vanyel
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2008 07:57:50 PM »

I actually have experience in the field of blacksmithing myself:) Being a crazy child, I decided at age 14 that I wanted to volunteer in a historical blacksmith shop. So, I contacted the parks service and did just that. For the past three summers ( I'm now 18), I've volunteered in a blacksmith shop, as the only female, and the only person under the age of 60. If your son has this opportunity, I'd highly suggest taking it. It's been one of the most rewarding things I've done (and counts as community service too). It's pretty impressive what your son has been able to do from scratch, especially the fire poker, which either required splitting or forge welding (kudos!), and the tongs. I've never been dedicated enough to make my own tools. I think the biggest improvement he could make would be to buy square stock- it makes everything a million times easier, and a million times prettier too, by allowing for even twists, etc. Not to mention you can get tons of different sizes, whereas rebar is pretty limited in variation. Steel stock is easier to come by than you might think- just snoop around. It would be a nice present for him, anyways. Gah, I've just realized how long I've been rambling on. Well, that's what happens when you're procrastinating. Sorry. Anyways, give your son my congratulations for taking the initiative to take on such a major project.
Oh, and as far as future projects, one thing that everybody seems to go apeshit over is copper ladles. It means hammering out sheet copper into a spoon/ladle form, and then attaching it to a smithed handle w/ galvanized nails. Feel free to have him contact me if he wants pics/ wants to know how to do it.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008 08:00:54 PM by Vanyel » THIS ROCKS   Logged
winter83
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2008 07:59:59 PM »

That is really awesome that he learned all of that from the internet. If he stays interested in blacksmithing he can go to college for it. I go to Southern Illinois University and it is one of the last colleges that offer blacksmithing. I am trying to decided if I want to go the blacksmithing rout or just metal smithing. I've just started the metals program there this semester.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SavoryxPie
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2008 08:10:57 PM »

Your son is so cute~ My boyfriend did that too (used the internet to be a blacksmith I mean) he's 20 and he's nowhere NEAR doing anything other than turning old files into knives.
lol, maybe he'll teach you? nothing like a new craft
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Get Beach Waves from the Kitchen: How to Make Your Own Texturizing Spray
Grab A Blowout At A Blow Dry Bar
How to Get Beach-Ready Waves in 4 Simple Steps
How to Do Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen-Style Hair
10 Frizz-Busting Products to Get You Through Summer
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...