A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,356
Currently Running With Scissors:
451 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A birthday Dora dress  (Read 1205 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

StacyCK
« on: May 12, 2008 11:39:35 AM »

Well, my little angel loves Dora so I saw this fabric and thought she would love to have it for her birthday.  I whipped this up Thursday night after the kids got to bed, so finished in time for her birthday on Saturday!   Cheesy  

I'm not a fan of commercialized clothing so this was a big thing for me to make her something with Dora on it.  Undecided

This was the first time I tried pintucking and just winged it for the most part.  I cut a wider piece of fabric and started ironing and sewing from the outside to the inside until it was the right width.  I used the basic dress design that I usually do (check my past topics for the tutorial if you are interested).  It is a little long on her, so hopefully it will fit her next summer, too.

(sorry these first pictures are a bit yellow)

« Last Edit: September 18, 2009 12:29:12 PM by StacyCK » THIS ROCKS   Logged
indywriter
I am my grandma's girl

The reason why.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008 11:54:08 AM »

That's really cute!

And I totally avoid Dora for the most part.  She shouts a lot.  But my daughter loves her.

The best part is that even though Dora got some of your money (for the licensed fabric), at least you have a quality garment to show for it (instead of something that will fall apart after a few washings).

I love the shape of your dress, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

indywriter 
http://www.haleycreations.blogspot.com
http://www.wists.com/indywriter

------------------<---<--<@
I know a little garden close
Set thick with Lily and red Rose
Where I would wander if I might
From dewy dawn to dewy night.

W. Morris
spicecarrie
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008 11:58:50 AM »

It's so pretty! I'm sure she was so proud wearing it! The little sweater with it looks so cute too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mummy to flo

Life without them is unthinkable!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008 12:09:58 PM »

Wow my daughter would love that, all I ever hear about is Dora, its totally fab Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

threegirlsandaboy
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008 12:11:02 PM »

How adorable!  All 4 of mine have loved Dora, so that would go over big here!  Beautiful work...again! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
miss_jms
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008 12:35:55 PM »

Ahahaha... that material makes me think of the Cowgirl Dora movie... thank goodness my daughter is FINALLY over Dora (now it's Thomas the Train... not sure if that's better or worse!!  Cheesy).  Totally cute dress!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dez-igns
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008 12:39:01 PM »

great work! she looks adorable in it...I am watching dora at this moment. ( I think I was watching dora the last time I replied to a dora project Cheesy)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So you, could spend the morning walkin with me, quite amazed. As I am unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed.
http://www.dezignsforkidz.etsy.com
StacyCK
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008 01:22:22 PM »

Thanks everyone!

The best part is that even though Dora got some of your money (for the licensed fabric), at least you have a quality garment to show for it (instead of something that will fall apart after a few washings).

You know, I really wasn't impressed with the quality of the fabric though.  It's pretty stiff and I like her clothes to be softer.  I know she loves that it is Dora, but I wish it were comfier for her.  Hopefully after a few more washings it will get softer.

It's so pretty! I'm sure she was so proud wearing it! The little sweater with it looks so cute too!

Thanks - it was cold and raining, so definitely not halter dress weather LOL!  Cheesy I put a cream thermal top underneath the dress so she would be warmer.

Ahahaha... that material makes me think of the Cowgirl Dora movie... thank goodness my daughter is FINALLY over Dora (now it's Thomas the Train... not sure if that's better or worse!!  Cheesy).  Totally cute dress!

I hadn't seen any of the Dora cowgirl episodes, but she got a DVD for her birthday that had the pony in it.  Serendipity!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Make An Asian Meatball Sandwich
How to Make Fragrant Chinese Chicken Wrapped in Lettuce Leaves By Gok Wan
Learn How to Make Coconut SPAM® Sushi!
Sunny Anderson Makes Fancy SPAM® Musubi
Healthy Prawn and Pineapple Curry Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...