A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,526
Currently Running With Scissors:
463 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Petaluma Got Craft! The Crafty Gal's Guide to Petaluma  (Read 797 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Petaluma Craft Mafia
« on: May 11, 2008 06:09:37 PM »

Being a graphic artist and crafter, I get asked a lot by my friends in Petaluma where I go in Petaluma to find all of my crafty resources.

For those of you who follow our Petaluma Craft Mafia Blog, I posted a list several months ago, listing not only your usual crafty stores such as Michaels, and our local Petaluma Art & Earth store, but a few off the beaten path ones as well such as Craigs Warehouse and Heebe Jeebe for some of my personal and kitschy projects.

Where you go for crafty resources depends on what your craft is and on a particular project. Not being a knitter, I would rarely step inside Knitterly for any of my personal projects ... but that just may change as Im burning to learn this craft as well as wool felting. I also think Knitterly is gorgeous and a great resource for those who do knit.

Riley Street in Santa Rosa is one of my favorite places in the world. The folks know me and are always very good to me. Good news! Riley Street has also opened a second store in San Rafael. Im so happy to see them thrive, as theyve always been very accommodating to me since my student days.

Those into making jewelry and bling can look for beads locally at Beads and More and Natural Touch Beads. Aurora colors not only offers a gallery for many local arts and crafters but has classes in glass making as well. Pelican Art & Frame has just a fantastic selection of frames, and Donna is great to work with. Another favorite local source for more heavy duty materials for projects requiring assemblage or painting is Rex Ace Hardware and Orchard Supply Hardware. Yardbirds Home Depot also has a nice selection of items and tools that have come in handy as well,and a great staff. For some of my projects I also like what I personally refer to as Copperfields Underground. Most people know this bookstore for their great selection of crafty and artsy guides and books,but I also utilize the Underground for some of my projects, where I incorporate vintage books into my art.

We are sadly low on fabric stores in our fair town. For quilters the Quilted Angel might be a good stop. I also look to the Good Will store on Lakeville for some projects as well. There is so much you can do with Good Will offerings, its crazy. Recycle these items and give them new potential, from cutting up a vintage shirt into a sewn project or utilizing any of the ceramics and picture frames.

So much of our local resources depends on what the project is. How far can you stretch the limits of your imagination? Building a Kokeshi doll from the ground up? All kinds of places to look for parts and paints and fasteners. Making vintage inspired kitschy jewelry ... several places come to mind.

I will be updating this list. So look for more P-Town crafty resources here.

Cheers and Keep it Crafty in the North Bay!

Cheryl
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FaeoftheRoots
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008 12:38:22 AM »

Hi thanks for the great list!  Any advice on shops that may have metalworking supplies?  Think mini-blacksmithing, but turning out twisted metal bracelets and such.  I've checked out the general craft and bead stores, but can't seem to find heavy duty wire, semi-precious or otherwise.  I'm starting to think a hardware store/the web may be my best options.  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It's an age-old war. Like the werewolves and the vampires. I think Underworld was actually originally about crocheters and knitters but they thought it would be too controversial so they changed it to vampires and werewolves." - Joss Whedon
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Paper Gift Box
How to Make Handmade Christmas Ornaments
How to Make Felted Sheep
They Still Do That? Yarn Spinning
How to Make Valentine’s Day Cards With Kids
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...