A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,040
Currently Running With Scissors:
690 Guests and 37 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Star of David pattern where in Jerusalem  (Read 2216 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

elisha

if not now, when?

View Profile WWW
« on: February 02, 2005 06:39:22 AM »

I am in Jeruselum and need to find a pattern for a six pointed star. I am thinking of using applique to get around the problem,  but haven't done much of this before.  I usually strip quilt, but have not been able to figure out a clever way around all the odd angles.  I could use a pattern or the name of a shop in Jerusalem where I could buy a book with a pattern in it.  In fact, for future use, it would probably be good to get a book with Jewish patterns. My daughter would love it for her baby. Don't have much time before the baby is born and I go back home. ANy help will be appreciated. Thanks. 

(posted for a friend)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2005 11:16:43 PM by elisha » THIS ROCKS   Logged

...the whole world is a narrow bridge, and the main thing is to have no fear at all...
cmoore
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2005 04:00:45 AM »

If you want to just do a 6 pointed star, the way to go about it is by using 60 degree diamonds and triangles for the setting. Most quilting rulers (the clear ones) have a 60 degree angle line on them, or you can even use a drafting 30-60-90 triangle.
Okay I tried to explain this with words alone, but I am way too visually oriented. So I drew a diagram  Smiley. Also included a pic of a block from a quilt I just finished.
Here it is:

You can make templates of the diamonds and the triangles if you like, but this is the way I did it:
First cut your fabrics into strips (I cut mine 3"wide by width of fabric I believe). Then using the 60 degree line, make cuts every three inches (or the same measurement as the strip) along the fabric. you will have diamond shaped pieces. For the background cut those in half and you will have  smaller triangles.
You need 6 diamonds and 12 triangles for a block.
To make a unit, sew two triangles to the diamond, one on either side (see pic). Then make two halves by sewing three units together (again see pic). Finally sew the two halves together, and you have a complete block.

ETA: I totally forgot this, but when I constructed my quilt, I did not finish each block individually. I left them as half blocks and then sewed these together in rows.The rows were then sewn together, completeing the blocks. of course I have to do another picture to clarify (I don't draw well with a mouse  Wink ):

I do hope that was not hopelessly confusing. It really is quite easy once you get used to the 60 degree angles.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2005 06:23:16 AM by cmoore » THIS ROCKS   Logged
elisha

if not now, when?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2005 11:11:26 PM »

thanks for your thorough and prompt reply...i emailed it to my friend, and here is her response:

Thank you so much. I think I get it. I am going to cut out a template on paper first so I can handle the pieces. I have wonderful hand dyed vibrant primary colors for the star and a washed deep blue backing. The front is a great vibrant print with lots of animals hanging out in the jungle. I just finished making sure the dyes are set and can now get going. Thanks again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...the whole world is a narrow bridge, and the main thing is to have no fear at all...
cmoore
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2005 01:03:38 AM »

I hope it works for her! The colours sound great  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn the Basics of Beading
How to Make a Backup Paracord Bracelet
How to Tie a Military Bugle Braid
How to Make Earrings - Advanced Earrings
How to Make Earrings - Basic Earrings
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...