A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 298,094
Currently Running With Scissors:
660 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: weighted pin cushion and thread catcher  (Read 8628 times)
Tags for this thread: pincushion  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Bee_U_Tiffle
« on: February 02, 2005 02:49:14 AM »

OK, these things are for sale all over in quilty type shops so i thought i would make my own.  The celtic knot done in red backstitch on calico has been in my sewing box for more years than I care to think about!  So a UFO finally finished  Grin

A tile weighs down the pin cushion top which is stuffed on top of the tile.  the bag has a channel with a wire cord so it stays open.  The bag on this one has a tab and button for removal and emptying.

These are very handy for by the sewing machine and on the ironing board.  I also use it on the chair arm when I cross stitch.  This one is small enough to take with me to quilt group as well.  I'm going to make one to leave permanently with the ironing board.  This time I will put a strong magnet inside the pin cushion to hold my scissors.

Bee
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009 01:11:49 PM by rackycoo » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Fury-inc
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2005 02:56:10 AM »

Very nice...I like the weighted pincushion.  Mine is always flying across the table..

Very useful and cute!
M
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Between two evils, pick the one you haven't tried before
Bex
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2005 08:23:32 AM »

One more thing to add to my things to do list! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Guys I've made an awesome new discovery! Blue and yellow mixed together makes an entirely different color... I'm gonna call it, BLELLOW!!!!
carlyleech
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2005 11:46:27 AM »

Trs cool!  I didn't even know these things EXISTED!  I need to go to quilty type shops more!!!  Yours is fantastic!!!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"A grass-blade's no easier to make than an oak."
                  -James Russell Lowell
Bee_U_Tiffle
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2005 12:51:55 AM »

Thanks!  I see these all over - quilt & sewing machine shops and craft type shows.  At $30 a pop I thought "no way, I can make one of those"  and they are pretty simple.  You can also make any shape of pincushion - it just needs something heavy inside to weight it.  A small bag of sand works OK apparently so don't be limited by the square tile idea.

Bee
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ilovepaper
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2005 03:36:04 AM »

What a great project! I love easy and useful crafts and yours came out so nice, thanks Bee.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JLBUCHA
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2006 07:34:22 PM »

WOULD IT BE POSSIBLE TO GET THE PATTERN FOR THIS WEIGHTED PIN CUSHION WITH THREAD CATCHER
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mintlatte
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2006 08:06:50 AM »

I need to make me one of these...plus I just wisted it so I won;t forget...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jenne_girle
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2006 08:52:35 PM »

What a neat little tool! Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TreeCactus

www.needlenthread.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2006 04:31:45 AM »

This is such a great idea! I've never actually seen anything like it (I guess I don't get out much??!) I love the celtic knot! I think I want to try one of these!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tree
x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
http://www.needlenthread.com
tejer
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2006 09:27:33 AM »

I've never seen one of this either. It is a wonderful idea and your version of it looks fantastic!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kaos
A random assortment of artistic delicacies.

Photo editors are dangerous...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2006 09:50:00 AM »

I just made one of these too...with a plastic shopping bag and a coathanger...needless to say, yours is much better! Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

GOD LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!

need me email me! jat42171@yahoo.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2006 09:55:13 AM »

great!!!   will you do a  picture tut?Huh   that is  great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
Bee_U_Tiffle
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2006 12:52:12 AM »

Wow,  not been on for ages and I find my old project is still getting comments.  Thanks.  I'm not able to do a tute with pics right now.  I got a pattern somewhere online and had seen some to get an idea of size etc.  So um... do a Google?  sorry can't find the site myself anymore.

Basically the pincushion is two squares sewed cushion style then stiffed, with a weight base (tile).  The bag is just a bag with a channel for a stiff bit of plastic coated wire or similar.  make a band to attach the two,  The bag willl hang open nicely and the weight stops it falling off.

Bee
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aliwa
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2006 03:54:37 AM »

I love this idea!! There are usually threads everywhere when I'm done sewing. Which is kind of impractical as I don't have a vacuum, and beige rugs... I've been thinking for a while about doing a small-ish embroidery, but I had no idea about what I'd use if for, so this is absolutelly fabulous.

And the idea of using a wire hanger was awesome Smiley I was just thinking about where I'd get stiff cord... Now I know! I never get around to throwing the wire hangers out and I never use them since they wreck the shoulders anyway.

/Aliwa
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mary Bell
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2006 03:03:02 PM »

cool...I've been meaning to make one too...haven't though - so many other things on the roster but it would save a lot of thread mess all over the hosue...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TreeCactus

www.needlenthread.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2006 05:28:52 PM »

Ok I'm trying to work out a pattern for this, because I think it would be such a great thing to have for embroidery meetings, when you're working around a table with people, and trying to avoid threading up the floor!!!!

My question - what size tile did you use, and is it just a tile like the kind you'd buy loose at a place like Lowe's? Or is it something else?

Thanks for posting this - I think it's a grand idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tree
jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2006 05:34:03 PM »

treecactus if  you figure it  out  will you psot a  tute  for  me? I am intellegence challenged!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
TreeCactus

www.needlenthread.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2006 04:18:18 AM »

Yep, if I get it together - which may not be "right away" but should eventually happen - I will post a tutorial...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tree
jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2006 05:12:43 AM »

great thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PinkyK
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2006 09:31:11 AM »

This is just what I have been looking for only didn't know it! I am always sticking my needles in the couch, chair, my clothes....etc and leaving little piles of embroidery floss every where!

Oh ya, I see one of these in my future! What a great idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miss Violaceous

Condones Flashing

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2006 09:34:49 AM »

The idea of a scissors magnet is BRILLIANT. I need to do this, whether with a thread catcher or  just on its own. This past weekend I was sewing up a storm for the DIY kit swap and I kept losing my scissors... at one point I was ranting to a friend that I was sure the cat had eaten them, as he was giving me one of those smug looks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fidget
You have my undivided atten...Look! A bunny!

la-da-dee la-da-daa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2006 08:23:41 PM »

Basically the pincushion is two squares sewed cushion style then stiffed, with a weight base (tile).  The bag is just a bag with a channel for a stiff bit of plastic coated wire or similar.  make a band to attach the two,  The bag willl hang open nicely and the weight stops it falling off.
When I make these I thread aquarium tubing into the channel to hold the bag open and join the ends together with a 1 inch piece of 1/4" dowel rod.   Poke the dowel in one end of the tube and then the poke the other half into the other end of the tubing.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I feed my soul with the stitches I sew.
My Wists
I practice random acts of kindness at random moments for random reasons.
TreeCactus

www.needlenthread.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2006 08:42:12 PM »

The aquarium tubing is a brilliant idea - I was musing and lamenting over the wire coat hanger idea, because I just can't get a smooth circle. The fact that the tubing is somewhat flexible is great.

Where would be a good idea to mount a scissor magnet on this? And what kind of magnet would you suggest?? That's a great idea, too. I wonder if you could mount it right in the top of the cushion part, so you can stick needles in the side, and put your embroidery scissors on top. They must sell those round really strong magnets somewhere....??

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tree
Miss Violaceous

Condones Flashing

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2006 08:58:05 PM »

Lee Valley Tools has great magnets for cheap. I bought some as a birthday present for my geeky techie boyfriend once. Google the site.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fidget

la-da-dee la-da-daa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2006 05:54:08 AM »

The aquarium tubing is a brilliant idea - I was musing and lamenting over the wire coat hanger idea, because I just can't get a smooth circle. The fact that the tubing is somewhat flexible is great.

Where would be a good idea to mount a scissor magnet on this? And what kind of magnet would you suggest?? That's a great idea, too. I wonder if you could mount it right in the top of the cushion part, so you can stick needles in the side, and put your embroidery scissors on top. They must sell those round really strong magnets somewhere....??
The way I make the platform is a bit different in that I make a separte little pincushion pillow that's glued down and then put a magnet strip on the other end for quick-parking threaded needles.  For a scissor park, you could probably hide a few neodymium (rare earth) magnets between the pillow pincushion and the magnet strip.  Hope this is a good enough description for visualization, if not, I can get pictures this evening.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists
Fidget

la-da-dee la-da-daa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2006 04:34:24 PM »

Here's the platform of the thread catcher I use the most:

A scissor magnet could easily fit between the pincushion and the magnet strip.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Homemade Bows
Pat Mitchell: Policy Comes from the Top
Pat Mitchell: The Audacity to Take Risk
Pat Mitchell: Everyone Needs a Rabbi
Pat Mitchell: One Woman Per Station
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...