A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,704
Currently Running With Scissors:
676 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Anti-theft ideas?  (Read 895 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

motleycruiser
Anitsocial Butterfly

View Profile WWW
« on: May 10, 2008 07:35:41 PM »

I need help for all you craft peeps out there. My house is located on the corner of a street in a very quiet neighborhood. The problem is things keep getting stolen out of our yard. First it was a witch decoration around halloween. I wrote that off as a halloween prank. Then last spring I had a large yucca tree on my porch & someone walked up onto my porch & took it. Tonight we came home & they had stolen 6 solar lights.

Some things to think about when helping me with some anti-theft ideas.
1) we already have a sensor light in the back yarn & the exposed sides are under street lights so lighting is covered
2) we are pretty sure they stole the lights in the middle of the day so they have some nerve (as well as coming up onto the porch)
3) whatever the idea is it would have to cover a variety of things, since the items stolen are so varied
4) we don't have a bunch of money so alarms are out

some ideas we have gotten so far.
a) putting vaseline on everything....which is cool but kinda gross if you need to move stuff
b) installing fake cameras & a sign that says this house is under surveillance

So all of you wonderful crafty peeps what ideas do you have.

For reference this is what it looks like from the porch of the house to show you how close we are to the street. http://motleycruiser.blogspot.com/2007/07/rainy-day.html

THIS ROCKS   Logged

kittycitycrafter

The Clarks www.clarksonline.com

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008 09:14:01 AM »

Make a fake sign that says rotweiler, German shepard, or other dog with an undeserved rep puppies for sale. Then cross it out and post all sold, or something in that nature. Go to a friend with a dog, a vet, a humane society, etc. and record a similar dog's bark. Play this (not too loud) from  time to time at home. Place a big dog food bowl, viciously chewed toy, and large chain attached to the rails to make it believable. If you know someone that has a large dog, borrow it to walk through the neighborhood.

A tip I read a while back for women that live alone: Get a very large pair of work boots and leave them out on the porch. They should look used, so get them at a thrift store,etc. and put a bit of dirt/mud,etc. on them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If I had a magic charm
It would protect you from all harm
There'd be no sirens to alarm
We could stay here every day
And if I were a super hero
Good guys all the villains zero
I'd save you from all that is evil
So you can sleep at night"

by the Clarks
Report Abuse:
1-800-4-A-CHILD
akimbo
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008 07:41:12 PM »

For potted plants--put bricks or paving stones in the bottom before you put in the dirt.  Use enough to make the pot heavy enough that someone wouldn't want to carry it--but not so heavy that you can't shift it when you need to.

I feel your pain, I had someone climb up onto my fire escape/balcony and steal plants. Now at my house passersby occasionally try to grab a rose--but the thorns usually deter them!

Ak
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ollieorange
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008 07:53:17 PM »

Stake out the yard with a gun? JUST KIDDING! I had problems at one time. I just started acting like a crazy lady and all the neighborhood kids were scared to mess with me. I also had dirt on some parties that happened when parents were out of town... that came in handy.

Are you reporting the thefts at all? Maybe if they see cops at your residence they'll be detered a little. I know they are all smaller items taken, but they add up quickly. 

Someone recently had the balls to go into my backyard and dig up plants they wanted!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

freegrrl2000

Every time I blink I have a tiny dream....

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008 06:18:34 AM »

You can buy motion detector gadgety things that you hook up to your hose to keep deer out of the yard. When it senses motion it blasts water. Might be fun to watch! Not sure how much they are but I think a lot of garden magazines has them,and I know Cabela's does. Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Now when you're finished say, "MY, what a lovely tea party!"
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Obama Diaries Book Trailer
Al Gore Talks About Our Choice
Charles R. Smith Jr. Reveals His Most Noticeable Trait
Anne Canadeo Talks About While My Pretty One Knits
Indigo King Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...