A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,587
Currently Running With Scissors:
577 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Body Wash basics?  (Read 477 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Jeane
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: May 10, 2008 02:38:51 PM »

I don't use regular bar soap because we have a septic system and I would like to make my own body wash. I found one recipe but it calls for... bar soap that has been shredded. (the other soaps on this site smell good without even actually smelling them!)

http://www.make-stuff.com/formulas/soap.html

Will this harden back up after it is down the drain? Can I use a 100% glycerin bar instead of buying liquid? I know these are probably less than intelligent questions, but I just had this idea that I should make my own.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would love to get together with others in the area and have a day of crafting while emptying that "extra" (is there such a thing?) supplies! If interested PM me!!
AdorableAmy
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008 05:49:22 PM »

Hi Jeane,

I'm sorry, I don't understand why you can't use bar soap when you are on a septic system.  My parents have a septic system and they use my handmade bar soaps all the time.

I took a look at those recipes with grated soaps.  I've heard that if you try to dilute a bar soap, particularly a castile soap, you will end up with SLIME.  Smiley

Amy

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Handmade soaps, lotions, lip butters, and more!
Visit my new blog!
Jeane
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008 06:21:09 PM »

Hi Amy  Smiley

I could use bar soap but it builds up in the tank and after one cleaning you learn how important it is to not put hard soap (including laundry powder) in the system.

Slime huh? That doesn't sound so good either!! Smiley

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would love to get together with others in the area and have a day of crafting while emptying that "extra" (is there such a thing?) supplies! If interested PM me!!
gigiallin
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008 04:09:05 PM »

Bar soap and liquid soap are made using different catalysts. Sodium hydroxide is used for bar soap and potassium hydroxide is used in liquid soap. Grating bar soap and adding water will give you a slimy mess that  can separate and grows a funky skin on it. Tongue
Contrary to popular belief, glycerine soap isn't 100% glycerine. All soap has glycerine. The clear stuff you see at the store is made by mixing melted soap with alcohol, sugar and (sometimes) extra glycerine. All in all, it's really the same thing as regular bar soap. It just looks pretty and melts faster because of all the extras. http://www.millersoap.com/glycerinsoap.html
If you want to make your own body wash I'd recomend you buy an unscented liquid base and play around with scents and colors. Or... you could make you own liquid soap out of potassium hydroxide.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw the Joker from Batman
How to Draw Oswald Rabbit
How To Draw Panda Hinata
How to Draw Bubbles from the Powerpuff Girls
How to Draw Cosmo from Fairy Oddparents
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...