A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 299,162
Currently Running With Scissors:
629 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Craft my religion? - SIGNUPS OPEN!  (Read 1561 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

instantkarma
« on: May 10, 2008 02:24:52 PM »

Edit: SIGNUPS HAVE OPENED! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=255834.0

I just got done with my introduction to religion course at college, and I absolutely loved it. I learned so much about different traditions and I really think I personally have benefited from it.

I came up with this idea when I was hanging up my earrings today (lol); what if we had a "craft my religion" swap where people swap items crafted either for religious use or with religious symbolism/icons on it? It could be both a learning experience and a swap all in one. Smiley

I realize that this would be potentially controversial, so I think there would have to be some regulation to this, but at the same time I think there are some other open-minded and interested crafters out there that might go for this idea.

Anyone interested or have suggestions for getting this off the ground? I'd especially love it if experienced organizers/mods could comment and let me know what to watch for and/or any flaws they can see with this idea. I feel like it could be a lot of fun, but I also don't want anyone to have their feelings hurt or beliefs offended in any way.

Best,

IK
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008 10:20:18 PM by instantkarma » THIS ROCKS   Logged

On a swapping hiatus due to college...

http://www.wists.com/cherryxantacids
craftykatt

Geek knitter <3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008 03:47:34 PM »

I think it'd be pretty cool, I would craft for any other Religion and it would be a chance to learn more. I'd be in!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
laughingsister
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008 08:20:00 PM »

I'd be interested in participating. It could be a lot of fun and really interesting if we got the right mix of people and religions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AmphipodGirl

More projects planned than executed.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008 08:15:14 AM »

I'm potentially interested.  I think this would call for a LOT of communication between partners.  Just because someone is Jewish/Catholic/Pagan/Muslim/Adventist/whatever, doesn't mean that they worship in the same way as all other members of that group, and religion/spirituality is really close to people's hearts.  But for that reason it would also be a very positive experience -- getting to communicate and learn like that.  And I really like connecting with other people around spiritual practice... I think this sounds great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PM me for a FREE vintage embroidery transfer of mushrooms (more info in profile).
madmommymia
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008 06:25:16 AM »

This could be good with lots of communication, since there is no cut or dry composition of each religion.  I should be in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My friends I am addicted to "crackster".  I think they might be right.
I am interested in personal swaps, just send me a pm!

I love my life, my hubby, my sons, and my 2 crazy dogs!  Isn't life grand?
Lmcbride
It's business time.

My place is usually tidier than this.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008 09:16:25 AM »

I agree with all of the above and will be watching this thread and hopefully participating if it gets off the ground.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Get rid of all your boring, tiresome friends. Make friends with cabaret stars, exotic dancers, and down-on-their-luck royality instead." Jonathan Adler
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008 10:41:23 AM »

So, would you craft something for your own religion, or your partner's religion?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

instantkarma
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008 10:44:42 AM »

I was thinking it would be for your partner's religion, hence all of the need for communication back and forth and making sure you have a good understanding of what your partner wants and needs (and probably more importantly, what s/he doesn't want or need or what s/he can't use due to religious restrictions). Of course, if you and your partner wanted to swap a little thing each pertaining to your own religion, that might be interesting too as long as you both agree so it won't seem "preachy" or anything like that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mountaingrrl
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008 01:45:23 PM »

I think this sounds really interesting! I made something as part of the OWS and learned so much about the Jewish religion and it was an awesome experience. I myself am Catholic and I was really fascinated to see how the original Jewish tradition is also so interwoven into my own tradition.

I agree it potentially can be controversial, but if it's set up correctly, I think it can be amazing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
instantkarma
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008 06:40:08 PM »

I agree with the need for a lot of communication and a lot of hashing it out between members...is there anyone else out there who would be interested? I'd love to start this up soon. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Vietnamese-Inspired Kim Family Wraps
How to Make Spicy Korean Pan-Fried Pork and Oreo Smores
Asian Hot Sauce Recipe
How to Make Vietnamese Pork Chops
How to Cook Maple and Soy-Glazed Flank Steak
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...