A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,058
Currently Running With Scissors:
668 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The "Running Away from Home" handbag!  (Read 1179 times)
Tags for this thread: jordy_bag  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

oneyedsally

Fabric is taking over my house!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: May 10, 2008 02:01:17 PM »

This bag reminds me of people on TV who wrap up all their belongings in a little bandanna sack and tie it to a stick to run away.

It's just a little denim Jordy bag lined with the bandanna fabric. There are a couple of pockets inside, and a magnetic snap.

I love these tie handles! They're just the right length for this to be a summer handbag.

This photo was me trying to be artistic and test out some features of my camera. I'm not a great photographer (obviously!)

I think it needs something more, my original intent was to do an applique on the outside with the light blue fabric, maybe like a horse shoe or something Western but I thought it might be too much. What do you guys think?  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you like handmade bags and purses, check out my etsy!

http://londonpurple.etsy.com

My blog http://londonpurple.blogspot.com
missdolly
Miss Dolly is my GreatDane

Dedicated dog walker

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008 02:25:46 PM »

I love that! i have a simplicity pattern that is very similar that i've been meaning to do for ages with the tie handles..

Have you got any sequins? that you could sew/glue on into a horse shoe shape? very las vegas bling i reckon!or use pinking shears to cut out a shoe shape and sew on..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The only hell my mum raised was me"

Personal swaps welcome...
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008 03:07:31 PM »

This bag is so cute! I love the lining fabric!

For the outside, how about a flower applique? You could use the lining fabric for the outside, with an inner shape of the denim. Then you could put a sparkly button or something as the flower center!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
angeltreats
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008 03:15:55 PM »

I really like this!  It's cute.  And I like it the way it is, to be honest. 

If I make a bag and think it's too plain I tend to either crochet something (like a corsage) and pin it to the outside, or find a badge that I like and pin that on.  Not sure either of those would 'go' with the bag though.  Or you could do a patch pocket maybe?  An applique might be good too, I don't think more bandana fabric would be too much.  Maybe some paisley shapes, or a star.  Or something silver, like some buttons or sequins like someone already suggested.

Oh by the way - any chance of posting a photo of your sewing machine?  It looks very cool from what I can see of it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

YukinaKipling
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008 03:33:16 PM »

oh, the tie handle is a greta idea. great job
THIS ROCKS   Logged
oneyedsally

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008 08:22:52 AM »

Thanks everyone! I just feel like the bag is a little plain.

I love that! i have a simplicity pattern that is very similar that i've been meaning to do for ages with the tie handles..

Have you got any sequins? that you could sew/glue on into a horse shoe shape? very las vegas bling i reckon!or use pinking shears to cut out a shoe shape and sew on..

Yes I've seen posts with that pattern. The bag does look pretty similar doesn't it. I agree, sparkles or sequins would really make it pop!

I really like this!  It's cute.  And I like it the way it is, to be honest. 

If I make a bag and think it's too plain I tend to either crochet something (like a corsage) and pin it to the outside, or find a badge that I like and pin that on.  Not sure either of those would 'go' with the bag though.  Or you could do a patch pocket maybe?  An applique might be good too, I don't think more bandana fabric would be too much.  Maybe some paisley shapes, or a star.  Or something silver, like some buttons or sequins like someone already suggested.

Oh by the way - any chance of posting a photo of your sewing machine?  It looks very cool from what I can see of it!

I love the idea of a star too. Actually I think I have a silver toy "sheriff's badge" in the shape of a star somewhere that I might be able to glue on.

I will try to get a pic of the sewing machine tonight!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

oneyedsally

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008 02:46:31 PM »

angeltreats (and anybody else who wants to see):

This is my sewing machine, it was my grandma's and I believe it was made in the 50's or early 60's. It's a Sears Kenmore Model 50.

I used it a lot growing up and really loved it (I made my first quilt on it), so when my great grandma passed away and gave her sewing machine to my grandma, I got this one! I'm so comfortable using it, I'll never give it up even though it doesn't have any fancy stitch functions and needs a lot of oil.  Smiley

And here's the instruction manual! I get a kick out of this just because it's so vintage looking. I don't know if you can read it but at the bottom it declares that this is a zigzag sewing machine! It even has 4 widths!  Cheesy

Hope you enjoyed, sorry to clutter up my post with pics unrelated to my project (although technically I make all of my projects on this baby so it's sort of related!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

angeltreats
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008 03:01:28 PM »

Thanks for posting the photos!  I really love your machine, it's gorgeous!  It reminds me of space ships.  I really think that new machines are nowhere near as nice to use as old ones.  (I sometimes use my old one to make manual buttonholes because they are nicer than the easy peasy automatic ones my newer machine makes.)  And I too love old sewing machine instruction manuals, they are just so POLITE! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Perfectly Poached Eggs
Amazing BBQ Nachos For Tailgating
On the Go Peanut Butter and Jelly Pancake Recipe
Fluffy Oven Pancake Recipe
Pull-Apart Butter Biscuits Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...