A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,092
Currently Running With Scissors:
627 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Attempts at crafty organization  (Read 7467 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

broadwaybabe_4

I'm in love! (With the right One.)

View Profile
« on: December 23, 2003 01:11:09 PM »

i am a self proclaimed procrastinator, which is why i wait until i have two weeks off of school to organize my room. with that in mind and the fact that i am a DIY freak, i am also a pack rat. does anyone have suggestions about organizing my 9'x11' room? please? it looks like a bomb went off in there. i need a clean sweep episode major! help? suggestions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Celebrate we will, for life is short but sweet for certain. Climb on two by two, to be sure these days continue.
divasteph

The crafty diva is on the loose!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2003 01:26:09 PM »

shelving - often people forget you can store on the walls verticially - and too make the shelving fabo-liciously cute - add cute baskets with bows

now if i only had money so that i could take my own advice....  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

comfits
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2003 03:08:18 PM »

me too.  my crafting area is always a total wreck!!!  i don't have the extra cash to buy any type of storage units or whatever either.  right now, i make due w/ what i got.  bookcases, cardboard drawers, tupperware boxes, you name it.  it's all good & grand, but it's still a wreck.  it's organized, but a wreck.  i'm looking forward to suggestions, too.  or maybe crafters' areas are just meant to be wreck??  surely not??
THIS ROCKS   Logged
broadwaybabe_4

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2003 01:24:02 PM »

someone help us please! the messiness of our areas is similar to the bermuda triangle. it could be our demise! help if you wish for us to stay on the site!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Celebrate we will, for life is short but sweet for certain. Climb on two by two, to be sure these days continue.
thixle
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2003 03:14:42 PM »

I think we are supposed to be "messy."
How can you get inspiration in a clean room???
THIS ROCKS   Logged
singtotheskies

I, too, taste like chicken

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2003 03:21:40 PM »

yes... my room/craft area is a terrible mess, too. Undecided But strangely enough i know where everything is.(ex: i know my marble magnet stuff is in my sock drawer, my shirt that i'm wearing on new years is on my desk, etc,etc) It kinda works though.

If you have enough money you could tell yourself that as soon as your room is organized, you will paint it a pretty color. Go to the paint stare and get samples so that you can dream about how beautiful it will be when it's clean!! Smiley

well... good luck w/ getting it clean. Besides maybe messy is the way it's suppose to be.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.
crazy_bout_you11
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2003 07:56:15 PM »

my craft room is a mess too. but one thing that does help me get organized is a file cabinent. i stick things in envelopes, then in a hanging file folder. like i put my marble magnent pictures in a envelope, then in a hanging folder. same with instructions, scrapbooking stuff, stickers, stencils, etc. my actual supplies are in the clear drawers, well, my paper and stamps and sissors/tape, and markers. everything else in is plastic baggies in a cardboard box. another thing that i recommend is go to wal-mart in the bead aisle. they have like a four circle screw together storage thing. they are perfect for safety pins or other little things like that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MeOwZa
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2003 09:20:11 PM »

i was in target today looking for bins to store my christmas stuff in and i saw these craft furniture organizer type thingies.

i think i am going to buy one (the one with the big door with drawer on bottom. it has shelves in side & hooks on the door to hang stuff)

here are some pics and the link to the target site.

$80

$60

$60

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=pd_ecc_rvi_2/601-0312674-4342574?asin=B0000D14MV
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sparky
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2003 10:40:27 AM »

OK - I'm a nerd and naturally a kind of messy one. But I have become a failly tidy person by making sure I have a place for everything.  I use the walls as much as possible.  Some ideas for using the walls:

- Use shelves up to ceiling height.  High shelfs can be fairly deep.  Consider putting a 12-16 inch deep shelf all the way around the room at just above the height of the door/window frames.  Have a sturdy chair you can stand on to get things down.  These kind of shelves are best used for things that are decorative or you don't use every day.  Just make sure you are attaching your brackets to the wall studs).
- Use shelves over dead floor space (i.e. shelfs on the wall above a bed, just make sure you start high enough that you won't hit your head getting out of bed).
- Once you have shelves everywhere, put boxes of stuff on them.  I have two different ways of dealing with boxes.  If they are somewhere I want to look cool, I docorate plain old cardboard shoe boxes with vintage looking wrapping paper.  I don't have many of these, so I pretty much know what is in them.  In other places, I use either clear plastic bins (usually about $1 at Target if I wait a couple of weeks - they go on sale all the time) so I can see what I have or I actually take and print out a digital picture of the contents and attach it to the box.  Lame, but I can find things quickly.
- Hooks rock.  Attach them to walls or the under side of the shelves you know have hanging all over your room.  I have a friend that searches vintage stores for old glass door knobs and uses them as wall hooks.  Or be super crafty and make cool hooks.  
- If you need more hanging clothing storage space, consider attaching a bar to the bottom of some of your high shelves.
- If this is a bedroom, try elevating the bed a bit.  This should not be done without thought and planning.  You can buy risers that prop up the bed 6-8 inches so that it is easier to get at boxes stored underneath.  If you are mechanically inclined (or know someone who is), it really is not that expensive or complicated to prop up a bed 2 or 3 feet - it is still easy to get in and out of, but now you can have dressers and drawers underneath.

This sounds super nerdy, but it is the only way I can discipline myself to stay neat.  I make sure things go back into to correct place by labeling everthing.  I put labels on the bottom of boxes and corresponding labels on the same sopt on the shelf.  It seems incredibly anal, but that way, I never have to remember where things go and I actually put things away.  I really like my label maker (under $20 at Target).

Ikea has tons of cool stuff.  There is no Ikea in my area, but I use their catalog for ideas all the time.

Good luck.
S
THIS ROCKS   Logged
broadwaybabe_4

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2003 07:16:25 PM »

you all have inspired me! thank you so much. target, here i come!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Extreme Website Makeover - Opening a Photoshop File in Fireworks
Extreme Website Makeover - Altering Some Design Issues in Photoshop
Extreme Website Makeover - Making Slices with Fireworks®
Extreme Website Makeover - Tidying Up Photoshop® and Saving Your Project
Extreme Website Makeover - Using Blend Modes to Add Graphic Highlights
Latest Blog Articles
April 17, 2015 Featured Projects
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Mini-Cabinet
Laundry Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...