A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 299,170
Currently Running With Scissors:
513 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Where Do You All Host Pictures?  (Read 38384 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PurpleHeather
« Reply #90 on: December 13, 2005 01:09:08 AM »

Flickr is great, but you have bandwidth limitations for one, and size limitations unless you get a Pro account.  (We are talking about free services, right?)   So for that reason, I think Imageshack is a better source for this sort of thing.

I use Flickr because it makes the resizing for thumbnails easy, and still allows someone to click through to get to the original image.  Also, like slackferno I use Picasa (Google's free image editing software) to crop, resize etc many of my pictures.  I *am* a pro user, but that is because one of my other hobbies (LARP) means that I often upload a couple of hundred pictures in amonth, so I did go through the bandwidth limit.  I wasn't aware of a size limitation on the free service.

My main reason for recommending flickr is that I've never had any problems with their service.  Images that I've seen on Craftster hosted with photobucket, imageshack, etc quite regularly come up with red X's due to the high bandwidth of people looking at the photos.  Flickr doesn't restrict the number of image views.

It's also basically ad free.  It has a policy where in times of high bandwidth demand it may put ads on non-pro pages (looked it up - "we reserve the right to serve ads on your photo pages when viewed by non-members of Flickr in extreme cases"), ), but I've never heard of an ad on the site, in nearly a year of using it.

It has a fantastic, simple uploading tool, allowing you to drag & drop images to be uploaded, rotate them, and resize the uploaded versions.

It has good methods of organising photos, allowing you to put photos into sets, and apply tags to individual images.  So while I may have my finished objects in more than one set, I can find all the skirts by ckicking on a'skirt' tag.  My only criticism of the sets organiser tool is that it is quite graphics/flash heavy, but there is a way to add images to a set wthout ever going into the Organizr tool.

Flickr also allows you to grab a thumbnail, square, small, medium, large & original of an image, in either HTML or the direct link for BBcode.  Just click all sizes above an image.

Lastly, I adore flickr because it has a sense of humour.  No boring dialogue boxes.  Because I signed up for the service a long time ago, I "must be Old School.  Rock On."  *grins*

As an aside, I'm a pro user because I like supporting online stuff I use regularly.  (Those people noticing a lack of Friend... status <-- can take heart that it'll be remedied when the stupid bank finally fix my not having a credit card situation)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2005 01:19:05 AM by PurpleHeather » THIS ROCKS   Logged

ERPilly
« Reply #91 on: December 15, 2005 12:31:57 PM »

Many ISPs allow each user to have their own website address.  You may have limited space, but it's usually enough for quite a few photos.  Ours provides us with I think 1 G of web space, and I've never exceeded it, even with tons of high-res photos online.  It's your own address, so it's free.  You'll have to know basic coding, to create an index page, but that's easy to learn.  Just check with your ISP, it doesn't hurt to ask!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
slackferno
« Reply #92 on: December 15, 2005 02:48:56 PM »

Does anyone have any experience using LiveJournal's My Scrapbook?

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sarahs_Crafts

Llama, llama, llama, duck.

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 05, 2006 10:41:11 AM »

I upload mine at a teen forum I visit. They have an 'image basket'.

It is really great. You upload your picture, and then when you go to reply or make a new topic, you get a drop down menu with all your pictures and it adds it for you.

Greatest thing ever. So I upload there and then just link it here.

If you want to see it, it is at

Simply go into the forums and look in the right toolbar, it says Image Basket.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
funkyhooker
« Reply #94 on: January 09, 2006 08:29:05 PM »

I've been using photobucket for their html practice page but I just signed up for the photo hosting and I'm not real sure I like it.  I tried reducing my image size to like 200x200p  and when I posted it, it still came out GIGANTOR!  I know I've heard a few other people say that they never know what photobucket is going to do to their pics.  Just for general info--  for those who only need a smallish amount of pics posted (like 30 or 40 ?) I use Geocities.  That's the Yahoo one.  I pay for space now so I've got tons of space but it worked just fine for me when it was free.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I wist! http://www.wists.com/savagerabbit

-----BEGIN KNITTER'S GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
K E R Exp+ SPM Wood+ Bamboo ++ Steel+++ Baa+++ Syn-- Nov Lux+ @ Stash+++ Scale+ Fin Ent- FI- Int- Tex+ Lace-- Felt++  Flat Circ+ DPN+++ ML-- Swatch-- KIP+++ Blog SNB+++ EZ? FO? WIP3 F-- DK++ ALT Cr X Sw  
-----
roxkitty
« Reply #95 on: January 14, 2006 08:33:17 AM »

Does anyone have any experience using LiveJournal's My Scrapbook?

I host some of my pictures at LJ's My Scrapbook. It shouldn't be a problem to have the pictures show up here (I've just tried) if you set the security to public.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Addicted To Beads
dgjert
« Reply #96 on: January 14, 2006 01:50:07 PM »

I've used flickr to host photos for a variety of purposes.  It works well for things like images in forum posting, and it's a cool, user friendly-site.  Very fun to flip through when you're bored too...It's free, with a limit on how many images you can upload a month.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
daydreamer
Dream dreams. Always.

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 04, 2006 08:16:18 AM »

Flickr,

Webshots,

And/or

Photobucket.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
angiebanangie
« Reply #98 on: February 12, 2006 03:05:29 PM »

www.uploadit.org

20 PIX FOR FREE!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tartan_skirt
« Reply #99 on: February 15, 2006 11:21:40 AM »

I agree with the *counts on toes* six other people who said imageshack. I had some problems with photobucket before but I've hardly had any problems with imageshack. Maybe when I need more space for uploading images I'll make a photobucket account (or revive my old one), but for now I'm sticking with imageshack.

www.imageshack.us (for the lazy people who don't want to look back over pages to find the link)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Creating Mood with Gaussian Blur in Photoshop
Understanding Aspect Ratio for Printing
Windmill Post Processing
Color Range in Photoshop
How to Use Fit Image in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...