A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,057
Currently Running With Scissors:
595 Guests and 38 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: ribbon scarf - Tutorial  (Read 82003 times)
Tags for this thread: scarf , shawl , wrap , shrug , no_knit_scarf , tutorial , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Boho Babe

Follow your dreams and enjoy the trip

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2005 03:23:44 PM »

That is so fabulous!  I too have a large ribbon collection and until now no good brainstorms for what to do with it all, this is perfect!  Especially for thinner ribbon, the thicker stuff I've used up on picture frames.  I'm definitely going to make one as soon as I fix my sewing machine!  Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else, that is the greatest achievement. -Emerson
She's crafty, she gets around, she's crafty, she's always down!
-Beastie Boys
tinafish
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2005 04:00:59 PM »

i admit i'm not the person that's made this up...but i hadn't seen it posted yet. i'm so glad many of you have enjoyed it. it was really a fun and satisfying project. it also helps that it was so easy to make. Smiley maybe i should try strips of fabric next! haha.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nushybum
nushybum the magnificent

Masquerade!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2005 11:56:01 AM »

That's v. v. pretty. I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shock Paper Scissors - a modern magazine for contempory crafters

Magic Fingers - a craft blog
trufflegirl

chocolatiere extraordinaire

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2005 05:40:16 PM »

I've been saying ever since I first saw this thread that I wanted to make one of these scarves as a wrap to wear with my wedding dress. Yesterday, I finally got organized, and made it! I'm thrilled with how it turned out.

I used tear-away interfacing rather than solvy/sulky paper, because it was much more readily available. (Read: I got the tear-away stuff for about $3/m at Fabricland, down the street from my parents' place.) Here's a shot of the ribbons all pinned along the interfacing --- I don't think I've ever used that many pins for a project before!

Once the ribbons were sewn, and the pins removed, I just had to tear away the backing. Easy peasy! And in the end, I was happy not to have to get my beautiful ribbons wet --- I spent almost $100 on gorgeous ribbon, shopping at Mokuba and other trim boutiques in Toronto, since this is to be the showpiece of my wedding ensemble...

Some of the ribbons are solid, some are sheer, and I love the way the textures play together. (Note that the colours are really inaccurate here --- the shawl is mostly ivory, with accents of soft sage-y green, antique gold, and a little bit of lavender. It's not all peachy-pinky as it seems in these pics!)

I also love that this can be worn as a scarf, so it's really flexible --- it can be very formal, or much more relaxed.

(No pics yet of me modelling it with my wedding dress --- the only one around here to take pics of me is my fianc, and he's NOT allowed to see the dress!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. --- Dorothy Parker
quarkiegirl

Keep it loose, keep it tight.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2005 06:26:10 PM »

That turned out so pretty! I can't wait to see it with your wedding dress.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
theasparagusfreak

I'm studying craft at uni, how lucky is that?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2005 02:21:41 AM »

thats wicked. Unfortunately i live in the UK and don't know where to get the sulky from, so i'll have to improv (the way only crafty people can). my friend is a scarf whore, so i'll have to make her one as a surprise!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tinafish
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2005 07:03:08 AM »

it's beautiful!!! what a wonderful job. how odd, i was making mine originally for my wedding dress too, but i ended up not needing it because my designer did such a fabulous job on the dress i didnt want to distract from it in any way. Smiley i have a link to my dress on craftster too!

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=29739.0

again great job!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

trufflegirl

chocolatiere extraordinaire

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2005 09:24:16 PM »

Thanks, everyone --- glad you like the result. I can't wait to try it out with The Dress!

Thought I'd mention that I bought some beautiful ribbon yarn (can't recall the name of it at the moment, but it's wide, and silky) and used that in the shawl, as well as standard ribbon. I don't think the ribbon yarn is quite as durable, but it's lovely and soft, lightweight and floaty, and you can get a LOT of scarf out of a ball of it. It's a good way of stretching your ribbon supply, and it's not as scratchy/stiff as a lots of ribbon. Just a thought!

Unfortunately i live in the UK and don't know where to get the sulky from, so i'll have to improv (the way only crafty people can).

I had a hard time tracking down the sulky paper (also called solvy paper) in non-online stores too. That's why I ended up using the tear-away interfacing --- it's much easier to find. It's also cheaper, and doesn't involve getting your ribbon wet, and comes in great big bolts that can be cut to length rather than in little packages. I'd still love to see the sulky in action --- or the hospital laundry bags that someone mentioned earlier --- but for now, I'm happy with the tear-away interfacing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. --- Dorothy Parker
Crafty Kat

Hi, My name is Kathryn. Nice to meet you!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2005 09:52:29 PM »

Thanks for the idea!! I'm going to make my mom some for christmas (I know its early! but my goal is to  make more handmade presents this year than store bought). When I get the stuff to make them I'll show them
finished Cheesy

Thanks for the great idea tina! Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pink Hula

Shala for a week

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2005 10:02:24 PM »

thats so  pretty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shala shala shala
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Slow Food Fast: Dal with Poached Eggs, Cilantro and Yogurt
How to Make Rainbow Sushi Rolls
How to Make Kung Pao Shrimps
How to Make Raita Yogurt
How to Make Salmon and Yellowtail Sashimi
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...