A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 302,560
Currently Running With Scissors:
689 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: scouring OLD GREASY FLEECE advice!!!  (Read 1559 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

FiberDogs
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2008 11:24:03 AM »

I recommend Orvis soap, or just plain 'ol synthrapol, although some people believe it can harm wool.
Orvis soap is often recommended by people who wash vintage doll clothes, quilts, lace and other vintage fabrics, whether they are wool, cotton or of an unknown material.
You can buy Orvis soap at a farm/feed store by the gallon, or sometimes at vetrinary/supply stores. Do not look for it at orvis.com.
Dawn dishwashing detergent was used on our search dogs when they got dirty and greasy after 9/11. but, it strips all the natural oils out of fibers (and dog hair) so dilute it a lot.

heres the bottom line on washing old greasy fleece: you might have to wash it multiple times. just dont use too much agitation! let it soak.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
misfitknits
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2008 10:14:22 PM »

ok, for those of you who may still be wandering what the heck i'm doing with that fleece, i have an update! i finally did the boiling water trick! and not only that, but before i added the fleece, i opened it waaay up, like i would if were going to card it, bc it was so bad it looked like huge clumps of solidified wool, and it was no easy or fun task either!! so i let soak, being careful not to leave it too long, spun it, and set it out to dry. i had high hopes upon putting it out to dry, bc it actually looked like wool *no more big hunks, and actually some locks, and little individual hairs* and i came away with only a little grease on my hands. but when i went back to check it, i was so let down to see that although it looks better, it's still not spinnable. i'm so frustrated with this fleece!!!! i wish i had a compost pile or garden, that fleece would've been mulch a looong time ago!

on the issue of soap, i have been looking into getting some orvus paste *i also need some for silk degumming* and i do have a farm supply store like two blocks away from my house! hooray for small town texas! but i have no money, and i'm honestly still thinking about getting that "ultimate fleece cleaner" stuff. i guess nobody else has heard of it? i mentioned it a few posts back. but it's only available at carolina homespun *literally the ONLY other place i've found it online other than the actual website* and if it was so magickal, i'm assuming everyone on this board would have some in their cabinets!

so what do you think? is it worth another try washing that damned fleece? how many washes can the stuff go through!?!?!?! or would you throw it out, all hope lost?

oh yeah, and i finally took some pics for yall to have something else to look at! Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitting and spinning and the hilarity that comes along with it:
http://www.thelandofmisfitknits.blogspot.com
mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2008 06:46:45 AM »

That doesn't look at all bad to me.  Definitely not a candidate for the compost pile.

The best fleece I had took only one wash and one rinse.  That was a very low grease fleece that was picked open before washing.

The worse was a CA Red fleece that I was told was covered.  Even after picking it open, it took 5 washes and a rinse.

For this fleece, pick open any tips that are still stuck together and repeat your scouring.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2008 06:47:52 AM by mullerslanefarm » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Select Calligraphy Fonts
How to Buy Calligraphy Paper
How to Do Lines in Calligraphy
How to Make Your Penmanship Better
How to Illustrate Anime Characters
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...