A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 299,129
Currently Running With Scissors:
547 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I made a Vegbee peasant top -- Now with action shots and Qs  (Read 1098 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

argwwo
« on: May 09, 2008 10:25:28 AM »

My SIL is taking my 3 YO to a luncheon at some fancy-schmancy hotel in NYC tomorrow, and most of her clothing is stained with chocolate milk and/or paint.

So, I looked through my stash and found this hotpink linen left over from a ring sling I made about 5 years ago.

An hour later, she has a pretty top.

(Action shots will have to wait until she comes home from school.) And here she is ready to go to lunch:

Question re shape: Does it look so boxy because of the weight of the material, because I should have cut it a little wider ... or should I just make it a little more a-line? (I thought it was the shape of the skirt, but it looked similarly as boxy over a pair of leggings.)

I liked the fringed selvage so I decided to use that on the bottom and sleeves instead of hemming. It's been pre-washed, so I'm hoping it won't shrink unattractively as it gets washed, but it will certainly work for tomorrow.

And since I couldn't make a casing for the elastic in the sleeves, I attemtped zizzagging the elastic into place. It worked, but I had a very hard time keeping it straight. Is it easier to do this with clear elastic? The stuff I was using seemed like a little bit of overkill for what I was doing. Suggestions?

Thanks for any comments/suggestions.
Angela
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008 10:30:35 AM by argwwo - Reason: added action shots and questions » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Solitaire

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008 12:22:10 PM »

Very cute top. I like the selvage edges too. I've never made anything with elastic that has been sewn on .. wish I could help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Craft, Therefore, I AM!  )O(
vegasbrownsugar

Oatmeal on my face, why?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008 02:35:10 PM »

I don't like sewing with clear elastic.  But you are not suppose to sew directly into the elastic but basically you are sewing and encasing the elastic with the zig zag so you should not stitch into the elastic at all.  I have never had the pleasure of doing that I always manage to sew into the elastic.  Did you pin it in place?  That seems to help a little be more or even baste it in place before you zig zag.  Hey I am going to try that method.  I am cutting out a peasant top today, I will let you know how it turns out.  I hope this helps you.  The top looks great plus who sews a perfect line anyway.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vegbee
Tutorial Contributor

tip-toeing though the pixels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008 03:23:31 PM »

i love the edges!  looks great, and I like the sleeves.  vegasbrownsugar is right bout the thread casing.  dont worry, you'll find sewing with elastic easier every time
THIS ROCKS   Logged

argwwo
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008 07:45:29 PM »

hmmm. re the elastic ...

I was given "The Complete Photo Guide to Sewing" put out by Singer (copyright 2005, but good lord do most of these "fashions" look sooo out of date!), and in the "gathering with elastic/how to sew stitched elastic" section the picture definitely shows the stitches going through the actual elastic.

I guess if I'd used the 1/4" elastic like you suggested in your tute (thanks, by the way, forgot to say that in my post!), I could have made a casing with the zigzag stitch -- you know, providing I could have sewed a straight line while tugging on the elastic. But I used 3/8" because that's what I had. I'll play around with y'all's method and see how it does.

The cap sleeves were a happy accident. I somehow cut the sleeves an inch shorter than I meant to. Tried it on the girl tonight after dinner and it fit her perfectly. (I'll get an action shot tomorrow before she leaves for her luncheon.) Think next time I'll try to make it a little more a-line-ish. Either that or use a flowier fabric.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008 08:42:45 PM by argwwo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

miss_jms
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008 03:57:15 PM »

I love how that looks with the black skirt.  And the look on her face?  Priceless!   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Best and Worst Dressed of the 2014 Grammys
The Best Hairstyles to Match Your Prom Dress
The Michel Mercier Detangling Brush Review
How to Make Your Hair Color Last
How to Style Shoulder Length Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...