A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 306,074
Currently Running With Scissors:
555 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Vintage Dictionary Illustration Magnets - Science and nature-inspired!  (Read 4864 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

antarcticraft
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Head Counselor of Camp Crochet

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: May 09, 2008 10:11:14 AM »

I made these for AlternaWidget in the Science IS Art! swap, and I'm so happy with how they came out! I used Diamond Glaze, with a cardstock backing on the paper to keep the ink from bleeding through and showing the magnet (I experimented a few times before I got it right!). These are from an old Webster's Illustrated Dictionary:

I decoupaged a metal biscuit tin to put them in (the stuck to the bottom, so it was the perfect packaging!):

Inside:

My favorite is the brain. Smiley

Thanks for looking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vote for the winner of Crochet Challenge 9, our first Stitch-Off! For this challenge, participants explored Shell Stitch. Vote here!
BrushfireFaeries
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008 10:17:34 AM »

Those are amazing!  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We do not know the true value of our moments until they have undergone the test of memory." -G. Duhamel
antarcticraft

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008 10:18:37 AM »

Those are amazing!  Shocked

Thanks - the images in the vintage dictionary are the exact right size for those large mermaid's tears (that's what I call them, anyway - they may have a more official name! Tongue). I can't wait to make more with different themes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vote for the winner of Crochet Challenge 9, our first Stitch-Off! For this challenge, participants explored Shell Stitch. Vote here!
acidtrix
hell yeah

To the Bat Tank!

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008 10:27:33 AM »

wicked! why can't i ever find dictionaries with cool illustrations like that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check me out at www.acidtrix.com
antarcticraft

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008 10:28:39 AM »

wicked! why can't i ever find dictionaries with cool illustrations like that!

Used bookstores (they're usually very cheap because they're "outdated!" and EBay! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT
There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008 10:29:09 AM »

These are fantastic!  I love that you made custom packaging as well!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy: http://suddenlytaxidermy.blogspot.com/
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/themistresst
http://www.etsy.com/shop/BubbleOffPlumb & http://www.etsy.com/shop/GreatBigBeautifulDog

2013 Projects Completed: 61
'14: 42 (at least)
'15: 67
'16: 24
antarcticraft

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008 10:30:27 AM »

It was completely accidental - I stuck them in a tin so I wouldn't lose them while I worked on other things, and then I realized it would make the perfect shipping package!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT
There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008 10:41:32 AM »

It was completely accidental - I stuck them in a tin so I wouldn't lose them while I worked on other things, and then I realized it would make the perfect shipping package!

Gotta love those happy accidents!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy: http://suddenlytaxidermy.blogspot.com/
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/themistresst
http://www.etsy.com/shop/BubbleOffPlumb & http://www.etsy.com/shop/GreatBigBeautifulDog

2013 Projects Completed: 61
'14: 42 (at least)
'15: 67
'16: 24
Pogo
Ardiente

Ready for something new...

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008 10:48:34 AM »

Those are unbelievably gorgeous!!!

Technique question - so you put a layer of Diamond Glaze imbetween the "mermaid tear" and the image, then the image and the backing, then the backing and the magnet? I've just been using "Tacky" glue so was curious.

Thanks! I'll be keeping my eye out for old books now. Cheesy (Actually, I've been debating cutting up my old chemistry book...perhaps I will now! Grin)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My little site about giving, with a splash of crafting: http://www.fierygivingtree.com
antarcticraft

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008 10:54:31 AM »

Those are unbelievably gorgeous!!!

Technique question - so you put a layer of Diamond Glaze imbetween the "mermaid tear" and the image, then the image and the backing, then the backing and the magnet? I've just been using "Tacky" glue so was curious.

Thanks! I'll be keeping my eye out for old books now. Cheesy (Actually, I've been debating cutting up my old chemistry book...perhaps I will now! Grin)

I traced the images for each individual tear (as they have different shapes), cut them out, and used a little drop of Diamond Glaze (which I like because it's clear and strong) on the image and pressed down the tear so that the entire surface was covered. I'd let it sit just until it almost stuck to the newspaper on my workspace, so I knew it was fully covered. Then I'd flip it over and let it dry, and then put a VERY light coating of the DG on a circle punched from an index card (too much and it would soak through the old paper, which is really soft and absorbent) and let that dry face-up so the weight of the tear would help it stick. When that dried, I used Gorilla Glue to glue the magnets to the card.

Sorry that's so complex - I experimented a LOT before I found a method that didn't make the ink on the back of the page bleed through, or didn't show the circle of the magnet through the paper. I was thinking of making a mini-tutorial for these, just because working with the older paper is a bit harder than glossy magazine paper, I've found. But then I thought it might be too "simple" to bother with a tutorial...I may do it the next time I make a new batch, though, just to save people the trouble and materials with experimentation.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Making Pom Poms
Your Dog Oughta Be In Pictures
Meatless Monday: Spicy White Bean Dip

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...