A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,371
Currently Running With Scissors:
675 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fiber Friday 5/09/08  (Read 5022 times)
Tags for this thread: fiber_friday  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

astormorray
I love looms.

just spin the yarn.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008 01:47:12 PM »

so much pretty stuff!  Jazzturtle, as always, you make me drool (and feel under-productive!)  Cheesy

I made this for a swap, hand-dyed: pink, pink, pink

http://pics.livejournal.com/astormorray/pic/000872f3
sorry for the terrible pic!  It's 3 ply, merino, 5.5 oz, 117 yards

and here it is on the lazy kate, for a better idea about the color:
http://pics.livejournal.com/astormorray/pic/00088e7f
One ply was pink and peach, one was pink and purple, and the last a variety of shades of pink.

And this is from a while back, but I kept forgetting to post pics.  Roll Eyes
http://pics.livejournal.com/astormorray/pic/0007pxhz
Three ply, two plies are blended from five different shades of alpaca, the third is hand dyed green shetland.  Again, about 5.5 oz. (I forget the yardage).  I call it "Sherwood Forest" because we just watched the old Errol Flynn movie.  Alpaca is fun!  It's so lofty, that the two 2 oz batts I had blended up were mistaken for cats when I had them in my lap at spinning group!  Cheesy

here's an outside picture.  The truth, I think, lies in between... this green is closer, but the alpaca's got more red in it than this one shows.
http://pics.livejournal.com/astormorray/pic/0007y2sx
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011 11:32:04 AM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

kathleenalice
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008 02:16:29 PM »

Gah! all you guys are amazing!

Kayla - those colours are to die for.

Jazzturtle - that stuff looks so scrummy! How did the show go?

Dollface - it's pretty boring really - i just pre-drafted. i started with just purple. I drafted 21 times the width of my cushion sat on my lap, wrapped that round my wrist and spun it. then i put my spindle down and drafted 21 times the width of my cushion holding the purple and green together. then wrapped that round my wrist and picked the spindle back up and spun that. then just the green. then the green and blue. then just the blue. then blue and purple. and so on. and then navajo ply it to keep the colours in order. Does that make sense?

Anyway, here's some more. Back on the food theme...raspberry ripple! 50g, 53 yards, nummy squashy merino, navajo plied again.

It's still not as even as I'd like and I had hell trying to stop it tangling as I plied it. I don't care what my girlfriend says. I'm getting me a lazy kate. To be fair, she says she's getting a drum kit so I think that means I can get me a wheel!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

.:dollface:.
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2008 03:01:14 PM »

kathleenalice: yes, actually... it does make sense..  Grin 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pintrest
Wist

I do personal swaps!
Jadzy

a.k.a. Jadzeea

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2008 03:11:57 PM »

Everyones yarn looks beautiful, as always! Smiley
I love the Nice and Owly one! Those are my favorite colors Cheesy
I only finished one spinning project this week (Jazzturtle, how do you always get to many done Tongue )
This is from my first Spontaneous Spinning Batt from Steph of Loop.etsy
It was a lot of fun to spin... so many different things in it (merino, corriedale, mohair, kid mohair locks, firestar, silk noil, and glitz). I haven't set the twist yet.

Here are some pix of the batt!

You can see the glitz a little better on the bobbins than the skeins Smiley

Dusky Sunset  3.1 oz,  approx 470 yds
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Fabric

we are the blood of the beast

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2008 04:04:03 PM »

I suddenly realized I feel an irrational love for the shape and texture of hand spun yarn.
I love it more than the look of actual crocheted/knitted/otherwise "used" yarn.
It makes my heart pitter pat.
So smooth and soft and bumpy and linear...
I think I may have found a new obsession Wink

(Beautiful gallery)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

astormorray
I love looms.

just spin the yarn.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2008 04:39:44 PM »

Dollface - it's pretty boring really - i just pre-drafted. i started with just purple. I drafted 21 times the width of my cushion sat on my lap, wrapped that round my wrist and spun it. then i put my spindle down and drafted 21 times the width of my cushion holding the purple and green together. then wrapped that round my wrist and picked the spindle back up and spun that. then just the green. then the green and blue. then just the blue. then blue and purple. and so on. and then navajo ply it to keep the colours in order. Does that make sense?

It's still not as even as I'd like and I had hell trying to stop it tangling as I plied it. I don't care what my girlfriend says. I'm getting me a lazy kate. To be fair, she says she's getting a drum kit so I think that means I can get me a wheel!

Neat.  I had to read it twice to understand, but I think I get it.  I'll be trying this! At some point!  How hard is it to navajo ply?

Also, you should get a kate!  Mine, conveniently pictured above, totally changed my life.  For the better!  Cheesy  If you're going to buy one (rather than just using sticks in a box), get one with tension!   Wink Otherwise, you'll still have the same trouble. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kathleenalice
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2008 05:06:31 PM »

Navajo plying is eeeeeeasy. Fighting with a stick in a box is the hard part! I took some pics for a girl on Ravelry while I was doing the NICE and Owly. Here:

http://www.ravelry.com/discuss/uk-spinners/178243/1-25#16

Being called Kate and considering one of my most significant character traits is being bone idle, I think it only fitting that I get myself a lazy kate YESTERDAY. I'm kicking myself for not buying the one I saw at wonderwool for a tenner.

p.s. I've been at this all of two weeks so there may be easier ways to do the things I'm doing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cloudlover

I should be spinning...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2008 05:55:14 PM »

ooh ooh loop batts!  I just signed up for the SSB club so I will be joining you all soon in some spontaneous spinning!  In the mean time, I'm working with what I've got- baby cakes!

Moulin, 54 yards, shy of 2 oz, plied with black wooly nylon- consists of a baby cake, hobbledehoyy batt, and a batt from Mandalinn called "thriller" (I'm all about the mix'n match these days!) I LOVE how this turned out:

I spun this last weekend, sitting out in the backyard while the BF gardened.  It's superwash BFL handdyed roving from Allspunup and it is FANTASTIC!  2 oz, almost 100 yards- "Costa Rica":

Another pic cause I love it so much:

This is my first attempt at a TRUE scrap yarn- this is probably compiled of about 5-6 different batts and random add-ins (like cotswold curls!)  I call it Midgewater- 2 oz, worsted to bulky weight, 75 yards:

It is squishy and glitz-tastic!

This is "Poodle Skirt", spun from a pink and black batt from TheRanch, with some black angelina thrown in, then plied with clear thread (thanks to Ask the Bellweather for the awesome thread-in-the-baggy plying advice! it worked!)  This stuff is supah bulky, no idea weight or yardage:

And finally, a worsted weight yarn spun from  Hobbledehoy batts- "sugarcubes".  This will be turned into a baby hat/booties set for a coworker:

Ok.  Time to wind that yarn off the bobbin and get to work.  Said coworker delivered her baby last night   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jadzy

a.k.a. Jadzeea

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2008 07:08:53 PM »

Ooh they're all so pretty cloudlover Smiley I really like the first three!

I can't wait for my May Batt! It will be my first club one Smiley I picked summer, which season did you pick?

Here's another (much better) picture of my skeins Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
misfitknits
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2008 08:17:05 PM »

ok, so it's 10 pm here in texas, but there was no way i was going to miss out on another week of fiber friday! i have something super exciting to share *well, for me at least!* not only is this my first time posting for fiber friday, but this was my first time pulling roving from my drum carder!!! i'm so excited, i'm not a fan of spinning straight from batts, so this is essential to me!!! and, not to mention, i only picked this technique up today on the the spinning discussion board

THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitting and spinning and the hilarity that comes along with it:
http://www.thelandofmisfitknits.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Rock A Rope Braid Hairstyle
The Secret to a Perfect Topknot
Anti-Aging Hair Products to Start Using Now
Set the (Two-)Tone: Ombré Inspiration to Take to the Salon
Braided Headband Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Veggie Bolognese Sauce
Mountain Views
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...