A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,122
Currently Running With Scissors:
661 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Simple Poster  (Read 16849 times)
Tags for this thread: featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Greame
« on: February 07, 2004 06:43:43 AM »

Hey, all i did was scan the back of an A5 old 1960's comic onto my computer, i scanned it in at a wopping 360000 Pixils a square inch, This is the highest that my printer can print at and the bmp file took up 75mb's. Then beacuse the resolution was so much i could blow it up to A3 size without the quaility deterateing at all. At A3 the size of the image was around 260mb so make sure you have lots of space on your pc before you do something like this ^_^. Then i prited it off on A3 high quality photo gloss paper. The last thing i did was to stick it to my old cupboard Smiley

not very crafty i know.. but i am male lol

http://www.v0rt3x.me.uk/poster.jpg

This aint a very good photo but the finnished thing looks real clear.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010 07:47:45 AM by SevsOnlyGirl - Reason: fixed broken image link » THIS ROCKS   Logged
firefly

the giant tree starts as a tiny sprout.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2004 07:05:54 AM »

excellent-reminds me of the x-ray glasses and sea monkeys i had as a kid, from the back of my old archie comix. Grin
i miss my sea monkeys...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

leah
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

formerly "the craftster admin" - viva craftster!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2004 07:24:11 AM »

Hey, all i did was scan the back of an A5 old 1960's comic onto my computer, i scanned it in at a wopping 360000 Pixils a square inch,

wow. That's an excellent idea.  I find myself buying cleap old comic books whenever I can find them because the ads are just so freakin fascinating!

My favorite one so far is an ad from a comic book from the 60's where for a whopping $9.95 you could send away for your very own pet spider monkey! No joke! It was like "It eats what you eat! Dress it in your doll's clothes!"

Amazing!

Thanks for sharing this idea!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to support Craftster? Find out about becoming a Friend of Craftster!

{ craftastic.com | leahkramer.com | helloadorable.com }
Greame
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2004 08:29:45 AM »

heh cool  Grin , i used to have some sea monkeys to!

i followed one of the tuitorials on here to make a card holder to using card that i printed scanned comic strips on. Top site youve got here miss Admin.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2004 08:32:30 AM by Greame » THIS ROCKS   Logged
firefly

the giant tree starts as a tiny sprout.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2004 08:32:24 AM »

My favorite one so far is an ad from a comic book from the 60's where for a whopping $9.95 you could send away for your very own pet spider monkey! No joke! It was like "It eats what you eat! Dress it in your doll's clothes!"

holy cow-so i'm trying to imagine getting a monkey in the mail-i mean, was it just shipped in a box with air holes?!?  and what if the monkey was really freaked out-which it would be, after being in a box-did you just sort of open the box and stand back to see if he/she started flipping out in your kitchen?
wacky.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TinySoapyBubbles
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2004 11:23:11 AM »

Do you rember the episode of Leave it to Beaver (I swear I watched it in re-runs, not quite that old...) I think it ws episode 2, Capt. Jack Was the name. Beaver sent away for an ALIGATOR....  
It was histerical, he kept it in the bath tub & charged kids to look at it. HE said if you put your finger in ther it wan't bite it off so much as it'll ssaawww it off. LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TinySoapyBubbles
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2004 11:24:56 AM »

opsss ...
I forgot   Greame cool poster & card case.  =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cheesedip

Llama? Hmmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2004 12:56:04 PM »

Noice poster! Tres kwl, I looove old comics.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It is much more comfortable to be mad and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts."
- G. B. Burgin
Greame
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2004 01:31:55 PM »

Thanks bubbles and cheese dip Smiley

i just made this pen holder from an empty coke can, i copyed the tutorial on this site and then covered it in bits of newspaper then covered it with copydex glue and waited untill it dryed clear.

Thanks for writeing all these tuitorials guys, there are days of boredom free time in front of me now Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
indie anna 58
"I am for an art that is political-erotical-mystical, that does something other than sit on its @ss in a museum." Claes Oldenburg

No Beefcake Without Irony

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2004 01:36:59 PM »

Hey, all i did was scan the back of an A5 old 1960's comic onto my computer, i scanned it in at a wopping 360000 Pixils a square inch, This is the highest that my printer can print at and the bmp file took up 75mb's. Then beacuse the resolution was so much i could blow it up to A3 size without the quaility deterateing at all. At A3 the size of the image was around 260mb so make sure you have lots of space on your pc before you do something like this ^_^. Then i prited it off on A3 high quality photo gloss paper. The last thing i did was to stick it to my old cupboard Smiley

not very crafty i know.. but i am male lol

This aint a very good photo but the finnished thing looks real clear.

The poster looks great!! If anybody else likes these kind of images and doesn't have a mega-scanner, printer or spare pc memory (ahem...like me... Sad) to pull off a scan like this, you can download a set of free dingbats called Hey Kids! from a site called Letters from the Claw (just google the site). It has all these great 50s and 60s comix images in a dingbat font. Here's a couple more in case you're interested: (also free from Letters from the Claw): Horror Dingbats Eerie Edition (fab. Eerie comix grafix); B Movie Dings (scans from old b movie posters); another dingbat called Magic Catalogue (which is similar to the Hey Kids! dingbat only the images are like 60s how-to magic tricks!) by Daniel Gauthier (at Typoasis) and Monster Party by Mike Gaines (all your fave b movie monsters in a dingbat font!). (p.s.  Graeme: don't worry about it! crafty guys rock!)  Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Glitter on the mattress
Glitter on the highway
Glitter on the front porch
Glitter on the hallway
-LoveShack/The B52s
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Mexican Inspired Makeup at the Rebecca Minkoff SS 2014 Fashion Show
Modern Indigenous Makeup at the Nicholas K SS 2014 Show
Coral Lips at the Desigual SS 2014 Fashion Show
How to Make an Exfoliating Rice Face Mask
Age Defying Oatmeal Treatments and Diet Tips
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...