A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,550
Currently Running With Scissors:
333 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What to do with an old 7" record? Make a box!  (Read 3138 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Bombshell
« on: May 21, 2004 06:50:24 PM »

Several people requested that I post this after I posted the Brand New scrap box, so here it is, complete with materials list and tutorial!

my little homage to an artist that was vital in my early teenage years:

David Bowie:

http://img54.photobucket.com/albums/v166/terriblething/P1010038.jpg

Back story:

A couple of years ago, I received a batch of 4 or 5 David Bowie 7" records that had crossed a friend of mine's path.  She sent them onward to me.

Unfortunately, all of the records had gotten so scratched they were virtually unplayable.  To my sadness, my friend really hadn't known what to look for on a record and had purchased them VERY cheaply (for a reason!)...

I am no great shakes at heating up records and making bowls, so I pursued this route instead.

However, I had a spare box or two lying around that I had picked up at Michael's.  And thus I made this box.

Materials:

*2 David Bowie 7" records
*Cover Art to DB record
*Mod Podge
*A good knife
*hammer
*1" foam brush
*Paper mache box, cream color
*Gloves!

Directions:

1.  Clip out the cover art you want to use.  In this case I used the cover of the Let's Dance 7" because it just had such great, classically Bowie type styling.

2.  Using a thick amount of Mod Podge, you can flip the lid over and stick on a 7".  It fit this box perfectly and although I don't have a picture of it, I used the 7" for Let's Dance.  Wait for this to cure.

3.  Flip the lid back over.  Mod Podge the cover art on and apply a coat on over it for sealing factors.

4.  Take your knife and score the bits and pieces you want on BOTH sides very well.  This takes some strength and precision.  Use the hammer to break apart the vinyl.

WARNING:  USE GLOVES!  Vinyl is very hard to break apart and can have many, many sharp edges.  This really isn't an easy task, it is a LOT harder than it looks.

5.  Use Mod Podge to decoupage the vinyl on.

----

I won't be attempting to do this box again, partially because I have no more 7"'s to destroy and also because it was pretty difficult to break apart the vinyl.

Also, the blue color around the top of the box comes from the fact that I had accidentally dropped some blue paint into my Mod Podge.  Whoops!  Not perfect, but I tried.  :/

« Last Edit: November 30, 2010 07:48:52 AM by SevsOnlyGirl - Reason: fixed broken image link » THIS ROCKS   Logged
crvgrl
Mother with Attutide

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2004 05:45:52 PM »

Yes, I love this one too! These boxes are really great, and it seems we have the same musical taste!

~bobbi
THIS ROCKS   Logged
graveflower
girl from 7-11

straight boys are such a drag

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2004 06:49:11 PM »

that looks so neat, but the last thing i need is more boxes laying around...haha
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bombshell
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2004 07:48:18 PM »

crvgrl, thanks!  i love all different types of music, but I think my next project as I stated before is a Misfits/B-Horror movie box, just because the Misfits just SCREAMED horror movies.  Wink

It's going to be more like a trunk, and a nifty little place to store all my craft things.  Now I just have to get the materials and the money together.... Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
avsceriline
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2004 08:07:09 AM »

I LOVE the record cover, and I love what you did with it even more. Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blog | staarlight: my Etsywistsflickr

I <3 personal swaps! Check out my flickr page to see what I can do.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Install the GIMP
Iron Man Speed Painting 2
Green Effects part 2 - Special Effects in Photoshop
Green Effects part 1 - special effects in photoshop
Iron Man speed painting
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...