Several people requested that I post this after I posted the Brand New scrap box, so here it is, complete with materials list and tutorial!
my little homage to an artist that was vital in my early teenage years:
A couple of years ago, I received a batch of 4 or 5 David Bowie 7" records that had crossed a friend of mine's path. She sent them onward to me.
Unfortunately, all of the records had gotten so scratched they were virtually unplayable. To my sadness, my friend really hadn't known what to look for on a record and had purchased them VERY cheaply (for a reason!)...
I am no great shakes at heating up records and making bowls, so I pursued this route instead.
However, I had a spare box or two lying around that I had picked up at Michael's. And thus I made this box.
*2 David Bowie 7" records
*Cover Art to DB record
*A good knife
*1" foam brush
*Paper mache box, cream color
1. Clip out the cover art you want to use. In this case I used the cover of the Let's Dance 7" because it just had such great, classically Bowie type styling.
2. Using a thick amount of Mod Podge, you can flip the lid over and stick on a 7". It fit this box perfectly and although I don't have a picture of it, I used the 7" for Let's Dance. Wait for this to cure.
3. Flip the lid back over. Mod Podge the cover art on and apply a coat on over it for sealing factors.
4. Take your knife and score the bits and pieces you want on BOTH sides very well. This takes some strength and precision. Use the hammer to break apart the vinyl.
WARNING: USE GLOVES! Vinyl is very hard to break apart and can have many, many sharp edges. This really isn't an easy task, it is a LOT harder than it looks.
5. Use Mod Podge to decoupage the vinyl on.
I won't be attempting to do this box again, partially because I have no more 7"'s to destroy and also because it was pretty difficult to break apart the vinyl.
Also, the blue color around the top of the box comes from the fact that I had accidentally dropped some blue paint into my Mod Podge. Whoops! Not perfect, but I tried. :/