A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 305,733
Currently Running With Scissors:
627 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Simple Poster  (Read 17194 times)
Tags for this thread: featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Greame
« on: February 07, 2004 06:43:43 AM »

Hey, all i did was scan the back of an A5 old 1960's comic onto my computer, i scanned it in at a wopping 360000 Pixils a square inch, This is the highest that my printer can print at and the bmp file took up 75mb's. Then beacuse the resolution was so much i could blow it up to A3 size without the quaility deterateing at all. At A3 the size of the image was around 260mb so make sure you have lots of space on your pc before you do something like this ^_^. Then i prited it off on A3 high quality photo gloss paper. The last thing i did was to stick it to my old cupboard Smiley

not very crafty i know.. but i am male lol

http://www.v0rt3x.me.uk/poster.jpg

This aint a very good photo but the finnished thing looks real clear.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010 07:47:45 AM by SevsOnlyGirl - Reason: fixed broken image link » THIS ROCKS   Logged
firefly

the giant tree starts as a tiny sprout.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2004 07:05:54 AM »

excellent-reminds me of the x-ray glasses and sea monkeys i had as a kid, from the back of my old archie comix. Grin
i miss my sea monkeys...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

leah
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

formerly "the craftster admin" - viva craftster!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2004 07:24:11 AM »

Hey, all i did was scan the back of an A5 old 1960's comic onto my computer, i scanned it in at a wopping 360000 Pixils a square inch,

wow. That's an excellent idea.  I find myself buying cleap old comic books whenever I can find them because the ads are just so freakin fascinating!

My favorite one so far is an ad from a comic book from the 60's where for a whopping $9.95 you could send away for your very own pet spider monkey! No joke! It was like "It eats what you eat! Dress it in your doll's clothes!"

Amazing!

Thanks for sharing this idea!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to support Craftster? Find out about becoming a Friend of Craftster!

{ craftastic.com | leahkramer.com | helloadorable.com }
Greame
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2004 08:29:45 AM »

heh cool  Grin , i used to have some sea monkeys to!

i followed one of the tuitorials on here to make a card holder to using card that i printed scanned comic strips on. Top site youve got here miss Admin.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2004 08:32:30 AM by Greame » THIS ROCKS   Logged
firefly

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2004 08:32:24 AM »

My favorite one so far is an ad from a comic book from the 60's where for a whopping $9.95 you could send away for your very own pet spider monkey! No joke! It was like "It eats what you eat! Dress it in your doll's clothes!"

holy cow-so i'm trying to imagine getting a monkey in the mail-i mean, was it just shipped in a box with air holes?!?  and what if the monkey was really freaked out-which it would be, after being in a box-did you just sort of open the box and stand back to see if he/she started flipping out in your kitchen?
wacky.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TinySoapyBubbles
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2004 11:23:11 AM »

Do you rember the episode of Leave it to Beaver (I swear I watched it in re-runs, not quite that old...) I think it ws episode 2, Capt. Jack Was the name. Beaver sent away for an ALIGATOR....  
It was histerical, he kept it in the bath tub & charged kids to look at it. HE said if you put your finger in ther it wan't bite it off so much as it'll ssaawww it off. LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TinySoapyBubbles
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2004 11:24:56 AM »

opsss ...
I forgot   Greame cool poster & card case.  =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cheesedip

Llama? Hmmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2004 12:56:04 PM »

Noice poster! Tres kwl, I looove old comics.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It is much more comfortable to be mad and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts."
- G. B. Burgin
Greame
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2004 01:31:55 PM »

Thanks bubbles and cheese dip Smiley

i just made this pen holder from an empty coke can, i copyed the tutorial on this site and then covered it in bits of newspaper then covered it with copydex glue and waited untill it dryed clear.

Thanks for writeing all these tuitorials guys, there are days of boredom free time in front of me now Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
indie anna 58
"I am for an art that is political-erotical-mystical, that does something other than sit on its @ss in a museum." Claes Oldenburg

No Beefcake Without Irony

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2004 01:36:59 PM »

Hey, all i did was scan the back of an A5 old 1960's comic onto my computer, i scanned it in at a wopping 360000 Pixils a square inch, This is the highest that my printer can print at and the bmp file took up 75mb's. Then beacuse the resolution was so much i could blow it up to A3 size without the quaility deterateing at all. At A3 the size of the image was around 260mb so make sure you have lots of space on your pc before you do something like this ^_^. Then i prited it off on A3 high quality photo gloss paper. The last thing i did was to stick it to my old cupboard Smiley

not very crafty i know.. but i am male lol

This aint a very good photo but the finnished thing looks real clear.

The poster looks great!! If anybody else likes these kind of images and doesn't have a mega-scanner, printer or spare pc memory (ahem...like me... Sad) to pull off a scan like this, you can download a set of free dingbats called Hey Kids! from a site called Letters from the Claw (just google the site). It has all these great 50s and 60s comix images in a dingbat font. Here's a couple more in case you're interested: (also free from Letters from the Claw): Horror Dingbats Eerie Edition (fab. Eerie comix grafix); B Movie Dings (scans from old b movie posters); another dingbat called Magic Catalogue (which is similar to the Hey Kids! dingbat only the images are like 60s how-to magic tricks!) by Daniel Gauthier (at Typoasis) and Monster Party by Mike Gaines (all your fave b movie monsters in a dingbat font!). (p.s.  Graeme: don't worry about it! crafty guys rock!)  Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Glitter on the mattress
Glitter on the highway
Glitter on the front porch
Glitter on the hallway
-LoveShack/The B52s
kayray
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2004 01:41:58 PM »

What an awesome idea!  I got a scanner for christmas and haven't done much with it yet, so I'm always on the lookout for ideas.  Jeeze I could make a poster out of any illustration in any of my favorite books!  Got any more fun scanner crafts, Greame?

Kara
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://kayray.org/

Mary wished to say something very sensible, but knew not how.
Greame
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2004 01:57:57 PM »

cool fonts indie anna 58 :-) you allways need good fonts.

Um.. The only other thing that ive done with my scanner reciently was scanning photos of my friends and family and making them look like wierd 80's or pop art kinda style drawings. For example this one of me with crazy hair.

You can do this with just microsoft word and paint, and is quite easy to do once youve figured it out. ill have to write a tutorial for it later.

Cheers

Greame.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2004 01:58:35 PM by Greame » THIS ROCKS   Logged
indie anna 58
"I am for an art that is political-erotical-mystical, that does something other than sit on its @ss in a museum." Claes Oldenburg

No Beefcake Without Irony

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2004 02:10:52 PM »

That self-portrait would make a great t-shirt!! Grin
I'm sure friends/fam. would love the "pop art" portraits as posters or on t-shirts as gifts. Looks like you're all set for next xmas.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Glitter on the mattress
Glitter on the highway
Glitter on the front porch
Glitter on the hallway
-LoveShack/The B52s
cloudbreakchick

We're all one of a kind, baby.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2004 05:10:41 AM »

I love the self portrait almost as much as I love the poster!

I wish I had a high quality scanner/printer/technological device.   Or I would so steal that idea.

But the pop art one, I can pull that off easy!

Thanks for the ideas, Greame!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's late, and I've been wondering...  How I can stay awake so long and miss so much...

http://www.groups.yahoo.com/group/CraftCycle
Greame
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2004 06:30:31 AM »

ta cloudbreakchick, you look alot like somebody i used to know, i had a crush on that bird for about 4 years and never got to courage up to ask her out  Cry

Anyway... i just made a clock and bowl from old records. Thanks to the people that posted those ideas.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2004 06:31:16 AM by Greame » THIS ROCKS   Logged
firefly

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2004 08:04:54 AM »

greame, i'm loving everything you've posted-and i'm waiting patiently for the pop art tutorial...nice to have another crafty guy on the boards (what are we up to, 2?)
i hope it's a good thing that you have a lot of time on your hands-you seem to be making good use of it.  i know we're all benefitting from it.  so, thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

subliminalpolka
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2004 10:02:16 AM »

"not very crafty i know.. but i am male lol"

Hush that mouth, boy...you're talking crazy-talk.  Smiley

Love, love the poster and the card case.  Kudos!  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

snoopendous
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2004 04:45:43 PM »

PLEASE write a tutorial for your pop art when you get the chance! I love it!  I have actually seen several business websites where people offer to do this type of pop art with pictures that other people send them -- of dogs or people -- for hundreds of dollars.  I have been thinking that I must be able to do it myself somehow, so whenever you get the chance, please post your secrets! Thanks!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cordeliapow
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2004 05:55:51 PM »

you are crafting up a storm. i await the pop art tutorial with anticip... ation.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cloudbreakchick

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2004 07:22:02 PM »

ta cloudbreakchick, you look alot like somebody i used to know, i had a crush on that bird for about 4 years and never got to courage up to ask her out  Cry

I think that's a compliment...   right?

I love the clock!  I want to make one!  Do you think it would be possible to make one using the record album cover, rather than the record?  

I have a guy's room that I'm decorating...   well, I'm "helping" decorate, which we all know means I'm doing it..   And I want to make him a clock!...   But I want to use the cover rather than the record itself.

Any ideas, anyone?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's late, and I've been wondering...  How I can stay awake so long and miss so much...

Greame
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2004 12:06:16 PM »

[quote author=cloudbreakchick
I think that's a compliment...   right?

I love the clock!  I want to make one!  Do you think it would be possible to make one using the record album cover, rather than the record?  

I have a guy's room that I'm decorating...   well, I'm "helping" decorate, which we all know means I'm doing it..   And I want to make him a clock!...   But I want to use the cover rather than the record itself.

Any ideas, anyone?

Hell yes its a compliment   Wink

Anyway.. You could draw faint diagonal pencil lines from corner to corner to find the middle of the record cover. Then you could stab the middle with a cake skewer or something to make a small hole, if you use a cork screw before this to make a small hole it stops the record case showing stretch marks. Then just rub out the lines and put a clock mechanism though the hole and gaffa tape it to the back: P

Amways, i had another idea today to make a calendar, I took a page that fell out an old 1940's bible (happened to be a scary revelations page) and glued it to a sheet of A4 then i put it through the printer and printed an old comic image onto it then I cut it back out. Next i am going to stick one of those little calendar books onto the front and hang it in my room.

You can see it below sorta but its a very bad photo. My cam refuses to take pictures at night and the flash is rubbish. It actually looks a lot better  Lips sealed honest! Ther another one on the right I did on a page of a school book, you can hardly see it though because of the flash back.

Much love

Greame
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MeOwZa
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2004 03:19:14 PM »

omgosh your ideas are fantastic!

another request for the 80s ish/pop tutorial

i am an 80s fan and i want to make one!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gagreel
snickerdoodle cookie

I heart Queen

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2004 07:43:10 PM »

1. I LOVE ALL OF YOUR IDEAS  Grin
2. I can't believe you came up with so many!!!!!!!!!

i myself am going through a crafting dry spell.....thanks for the inspiration
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I never paint my dreams or nightmares, I only paint my own reality"   -Frida Kahlo
cloudbreakchick

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2004 05:43:46 AM »

Okay, I really need to get my hands on some comics...  I actually tried to get some off of Ebay, but someone outbid me in the last few minutes...   boo buddy.

Yes, your ideas are absolutely fantastic.   I've just been able to come up with some candles and curtains...   no comics, though.  Have you tried the comic book wallets that someone posted on here?   They look fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crazyferret
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2004 06:23:43 AM »

Greame,

What tutorial did you use to make the card holder? and is that to hold credit cards? If that's the case, I would love to make me a nice one for my debit card. The envelope that it came in is all ugly now.

Please let me know.
 Grin
Katy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Greame
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2004 07:52:43 AM »

ok guys i gota be quick i am hopping off to school, just quickly though...

for those who have no comics here is a good page i found you guys

http://www.anthonysnyder.com/art/index.html

click on the art listings and they have full page black and white comic strips and art.

The card holder is acctualy for holding playing cards sorry Tongue but i did see a tuitorial on here for a card wallet. I tried to search for it but i think the search is broken.

Cya later !

Cheers, Greame
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TinySoapyBubbles
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2004 02:41:42 PM »

Greame: you really have your creative juices flowing...great ideas!!

IF anyone wants to TRADE some comics for other stuff please let me know! Please message me here ...  For mailing purposes I am in the US.
Stuff I am looking for:
POM POMS really thick ones to make a curtain for my neices room
Small scraps of fabric in pastel shades (esp greens, blues, purples) to make a yo yo quilt (again neices room)
LOTARIA (sp?) cards & game boards
old wooden games pieces to make jewlery
Interesting bits of old jewlery

Julie
Tiny-Soapy_bubbles@yahoo.com
« Last Edit: February 11, 2004 02:53:48 PM by TinySoapyBubbles » THIS ROCKS   Logged
oxfamglam
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2004 04:20:13 PM »

Yay! Another crafty English!  Grin
Love your ideas, if only I had a scanner and was more computer savvy...
I made a vinyl clock for a friend at christmas, it turned out great and he loved it. Everyone should have one Smiley
I havent been able to post recently cos of exams (yah boo sucks) and I've been desperate to show you guys stuff I've made but beleve it or not my camera got seriously broken due to a freak car crash Sad Any ideas for someone who is currently confined to the house due to whiplash?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
misplaced_freak
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2004 06:48:09 PM »

i like it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Luv-A-Lauren
(in stores soon)
iqjones
Who's house? Run's house!

Trying to keep it gold...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2004 07:57:57 PM »

I think that a similar effect can be achieved using any basic photo editing software and applying the same tracing method.  another quick way to do this in photoshop is to apply the 'poster edges' filter, but you do give up so control over the results.

J/A/S/O/N & others in the know-
I can't afford photoshop or any fancy programs (or anything at all, really). I have Microsoft PhotoEditor, any hints for doing cool stuff?

GREAMIE-- you are brilliant!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2004 07:58:40 PM by IqJones » THIS ROCKS   Logged

All the goo we use, reviewed!
http://brainybeautys.blogspot.com
BadKittyUSA33

I'm a kitty!!! A BAD ONE!!! meow...

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2004 03:11:14 PM »

wow greame i'd have to say for a guy your pretty damn crafty! i luv all of your crafts especially the first one with the comic book stuff. i have this one comic books that's in all spanish (it's indiana jones!yay!) that i think would be great as a poster! thanks for the inspiration to make it into one!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(`'.(`'.**.' ).')     
.*  MOLLYWOOD!!!!!  * .      
(. '(.'**`'.)`'.)   Rock on!
happycabbage
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2004 01:28:54 PM »

I, too, am a llama! Wow! Grin

Id love that poster print on my bedsheets! I dont know why. I just do! But until they start to manufacture those, I guess Ill have to cut it into pieces and make them into magnets. Yay!

And GREAT idea putting photos on bible pages! Smiley

Jessica
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i dont have a signature.....
StripeySocks

I will always be a weird, creepy mushroom girl.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2004 09:07:38 AM »

Greame, you ROCK my socks!!!
*breaks into song:
I think I love you...*
lol...craziness  Grin

'Lena
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"One is never as unhappy as one thinks, nor as happy as one hopes"
Goddess
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2004 10:55:41 PM »

shut up! you are WAY crafty....and artistic! Not to mention that I love all the men on this board, because guys take so much crap for being crafty or artists...so We, the chickies of craftster, applaud you thusly!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tatty Divine

Raindrops keep falling on my head..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2004 01:30:17 PM »

Shocked *love* all of the things here. Are you in the UK? If so, where did you get the clock mechanism from?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Greame
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2004 03:31:55 PM »

um that clock i acctualy stole from my little sisters old "my little pony" clock  Cheesy but i hear you can get them from hobbycraft.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2004 03:32:40 PM by Greame » THIS ROCKS   Logged
lover

I want to be a ninja when I grow up!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2004 04:41:46 PM »

i love your creations,  :oyour a master mind. Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I want a lover i don't have to love i want a boy whose to drunk he doesn't talk
Tatty Divine

Raindrops keep falling on my head..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2004 02:17:30 PM »

um that clock i acctualy stole from my little sisters old "my little pony" clock  Cheesy but i hear you can get them from hobbycraft.

Grin I dont think I have any spare clocks hanging around....No hobbycrafts in birmingham either, I think I will have to go and buy a cheap one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amelia bedelia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2004 02:33:17 PM »

Greame you should think about selling some of your stuff! it is really good looking and looks very professional!  Cheesy keep up the good work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Damn it feels good to be a gangster
cheesedip

Llama? Hmmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2004 08:50:26 AM »

Your stuff is really cool Greame.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It is much more comfortable to be mad and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts."
- G. B. Burgin
abbie

I didn't lose my mind... i sold it on ebay!!!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2004 05:38:36 PM »

cute poster!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hum

live | love | burn | die

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2004 06:12:54 PM »

Greame, will you make out with me?

Very cool stuff...I especially like the bible page/comic thing!

ciao,
cortnee
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sushimifune

Life is a gift-horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2004 11:26:21 PM »

Wow! i love men that can use hands and imagination!...
 Roll Eyes
Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
initforyourtouch

.im a sweetheart, thats what makes me so deadly.

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2004 06:12:12 PM »

.this was such a cute idea i love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

.a heart of stone to match the concrete wings.
.<3.
SpektrumFemme
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2004 05:18:34 PM »

about the poster...i want to make some giant posters and i was just gonna go to kinko's...so u scanned, enlarged, AND printed that GIANT poster on your home PC?Huh? how did u print it so large? is it on several pages?Huh?

please help
THIS ROCKS   Logged

6Kolors R Bettah than NoNe
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn how to Create a Fashion Forward Bob - Products Needed
Learn how to Create a Fashion Forward Bob
Learn how to Twist Hair - Finishing the Hairline and Styling
Learn how to Twist Hair - Learn how to Individual Twist
Learn how to Twist Hair - Learn how to Flat Twist
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Sherlock Matchbox
@Home This Weekend: Bottlecap Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...