A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 299,178
Currently Running With Scissors:
631 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CraftiLineage - your own family's vintage crafts  (Read 3783 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kstaron
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008 07:20:58 PM »

I definitely have that lineage.

My mom did all sorts of things. I have still in my possession a lion costume that she made me when I was six that got passed down from cousin to cousin and finally back to me after I had my daughter.  When made holiday tree ornaments every year and I remember selling plastic canvas rainbows that she taught me how to make at one of our garage sales.  She mainly does watercolor now.

My grandma did plastic canvas and wove me a blanket that I still adore. 

My other grandma painted in oils, sewed clothes for my teddy bear, made quilts and such.

Mt grandfather was an amateur photographer.

My aunt was a great intuitive seamstress and I remember getting several handcrafted items from a great aunt as well.

I got my start through watching them and some of my most cherished things are the things they made. I have my grandfathers photos, my grandmothers paintings, my other grandmothers throw, a great aunts afghan, my mothers water colors.  It's all very much a part of who I am.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LadyFiasco
if theres only one truth that i know, its that the stitches that we've made are the best i've ever sewn'- Josh Pyke

No tv, i have a sewing machine and crochet hooks!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2008 02:27:31 AM »

alicia_policia, this is a fantastic idea, i LOVE CraftLineage!
My mum was a master! My sister and i never had store bought clothes as kids, mum would sew  or crochet any thing we asked her to (around working full time) until we were old enough to operate the sewing machine ourselves! She'd make amazing wall hangings and re-upholster thrift store couches and sand back and re-varnish tables, beds, dressers, anything she could get her hands on! Not to mention the hours spent making knockout birthday cakes!!!
My nana never understood where she got the talent from until my grandad retired and started woodwork in the garage, turning and carving and creating! Nana says thats when it all clicked, because it can't have come from her, sewing machines break when she's within a few feet of them and irons never work the same again!!

My gorgeous sister has gone on to be a florist and a hair and makeup design artist (and what she does is artistry, TRUST ME!!).
I just craft at home, for fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Make Ahead Gravy
Open-Faced Hot Turkey Sammys
How to Use Up Leftover Turkey
Shortcuts for Easy Thanksgiving Dinner Recipes
How to Make Shrimp and Grits
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...