A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,060
Currently Running With Scissors:
466 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: semi-quilted circular needle holder, tutorial! huge with pics.  (Read 2246 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , needle_holder  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

astormorray
I love looms.

just spin the yarn.

View Profile WWW
« on: May 08, 2008 07:12:33 AM »

I made this for the knitting swap, for pinkyswear, but since I couldn't find a pattern, and wrote my own, I thought I'd share.

If you have any questions, PM me or post here.  There may very well be mistakes!   Roll Eyes
Also, if the images don't match the text - go with the text!  I re-did the first few steps entirely, but didn't take new pictures.... Tongue  I should just make another one just to check that the pattern works out better this time through.

finished product:

materials:
-at least three FQ of three different fabrics, plus 1/2 yard of a fabric you don't care about to put in the middle.
-interfacing!  ( I used the non-fuseable kind, because I'm cheap, but whatever's cool.)
-quilt batting
-sewing machine with quilting foot  
-elastic
-button

outside:

cut 1 front piece 20.5X11 inches
cut 1 piece batting - 21.5x12 inches
cut 1 piece random fabric - 20.5X11 inches

here is the time to put on any appliqus, or whatever on your outside piece.  Once that's done:

make a sandwich of your fabrics (batting in the middle!), sew a line to anchor the batting on the right side (starting and stopping 1/2 inch from the sides! - this is so you can easily trim the extra batting later), and quilt loosely (not going over the lines too much).  set aside.

inside:

back Im using what was left from the FQ, after cutting the pockets, plus muslin to make up the rest of the distance
1 interfacing piece - 20.5X11 inches with lines drawn on it - these must face out! (From left: 1/2 inch, 1 1/2 inch, 5 inches, 5 1/2 inches, 9 inches, 12 1/2 inches, 13 inches, 16 1/2 inches, 20 inches)
pockets: 4 pieces 20.5X5.5 inches
pocket interfacing: 4 pieces 20.5x4 inches

1. place a pocket piece right side down on a piece of interfacing, matching edges.  Sew with a 1/4 inch seam allowance.  Repeat for rest of pockets.

2.  iron pockets so that the interfacing remains flat, but the fabric is folded.  

Then fold the fabric over the interfacing and iron again.  Topstitch the fabric in place.

3.  fold over whatever fabric is remaining at the bottom of the pockets, iron in place.  (omit this step with the last pocket!)

4.  baste back fabric to the large piece of interfacing using a 1/4 inch seam allowance.

5. place top-most pocket 2.5 inches from top (seam allowance is already figured in!), pin, and sew across bottom using a 1/4 inch seam allowance (I also used a zigzag stitch, for extra insurance.)

6. place each subsequent pocket 1 1/2 inches lower than the last, and sew as in step 5.  The last pocket, because its bottom edge hasnt been folded under, will line up with the bottom of the back piece (actually, it may be a bit longer... if it is, trim off excess and continue).  The seam in this case will be 3/4 inch.

ta-da!

7.  Sew (from bottom up) a number of vertical lines, as you've previously marked on the back (in the pic, they're green!).  From left: 1/2 inch, 1 1/2 inch, 5 inches, 5 1/2 inches, 9 inches, 12 1/2 inches, 13 inches, 16 1/2 inches, 20 inches.  Trim threads!

Now we just have to get inside and outside together...  And this is where my directions diverge most from what I actually did.  Um.  Here's the deal - I didn't leave enough fabric for the top seam to be where it should be, so I took a strip of blue and bound them off that way.  However, the directions have been changed so that you will have enough fabric to put the seam across the top properly, and do the final seam on the left (when pockets are facing you.)

8.  Place inside and outside together, pockets facing outside fabric.  Sew around three sides with a 1/2 inch seam, leaving the left most side open.  Trim off excess interfacing and batting.  Turn it right-side out.  Iron!

9.  Using the iron, fold down the fabric on the open edge, and stitch shut.  If you're clever, you'd sew the elastic into the seam at this point.  Just a loop, to go around a button.

10. Using a quilting foot, free stitch (pocket side up) between the edge and the 1 1/2 inch seam, between the 5 inch line and the 5 1/2 inch line, and between the 12 1/2 and 13 inch line.  Trim threads.

11.  Close up holder, folding at the 1/2" stitched areas.  

12.  Sew a button on the right side of the front, making sure that youre not inadvertently sealing up a pocket on the other side.

13. Add needles!

« Last Edit: July 30, 2012 09:16:05 AM by jungrrl - Reason: inserted full size pictures instead of thumbnails. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkyswear
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008 01:31:24 PM »

awesome tut! i feel lucky to have this.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

julie1964
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008 03:51:10 AM »

Thank you for posting this.
Just what I need for my circular needles. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Integrate Lightroom 2 with Photoshop.
How to Use Keywords in Lightroom 2
Portrait Retouching with Photoshop Elements - Sample Clip 3
Portrait Retouching with Photoshop Elements - Sample Clip 2
Lightroom 2 Quick Tip
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...