A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,386
Currently Running With Scissors:
489 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Your LYS vs. Big chain stores  (Read 2238 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jessvict
« on: May 07, 2008 11:30:30 AM »

I was just visiting my LYS and I was just wondering where everyone buys their yarn?  I just found out that the store owner has to have a second job because her sales arent as good as she would like Sad. I understand that yarn at big chains (michaels, joanns, walmart, ect) are sometimes cheaper but I would rather give my money to the small business owner rather than give the big ones more money. Ive found that the quality and selection of the yarn is better at my LYS, also there is someone there to answer any of my questions or give me suggestions to yarns I would never thought of using. What are your thoughts??
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KidArtemis
Planet Express Delivery Gal

WE GOT MOVIE SIGN!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008 03:11:16 PM »

I agree about supporting the little guy instead of the megastores. Of the few times I was in my LYS (now out of business-probably due to lack of sales), they had the best selection of exotic and foreign yarns. The shopkeeper was knowledgeable mostly about knitting but inviting. I never did buy anything from their shop because everything was so pricey (the most expensive skein of yarn was $125) but it was nice to look around.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've always done what I do. I'm doing what I do, way I've always done and the way I'll always do it.
SpottedFrog
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008 04:43:34 PM »

I go to the LYS when I want something special, partly because they will have it where as Wally World will not. I know there are a few LYS's in my city because it's big, but they are all far from me (like 45 minute drive allll the way across town far). The one I have frequented the most is close to my mom's house.
But I am fearful when I go because some of their staff are nice, but some just glare daggers at my children, because they are children.  God forbid a customer walk through the door with two children, hands in pockets saying "where can I sit mommy?". This makes me not go there very often. [I have trained my children to find a chair & sit in any non-child friendly envirornment, I estate sale a lot and the ones I frequent know my kids and have thanked me for the way my kids behave]

I know exactly how inflated their prices are too (ok inflated isn't the best word, I know it's neccesary in a small business). The Peaches & Cream cotton yarn at Walmart? $1.87, at my LYS? $5.35, yeah ouch. So it's special needs only. But I do go there before shopping on line. I can't bear the thought of shopping for a special yarn or fabric without touching it. Practice yarn that might wind up a wash cloth? Wally world.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Homerof2
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008 06:58:22 PM »

I shop my LYS for most of the items I want if I'm buying in small quantity (like 1 ball of yarn) but if I want a lot of one kind, I head to Walmart in the city.  I don't mind paying a few dollars more for one item but not lots of dollars more to make an entire afghan.  Also, I find that my LYS seems to run out of stuff fast or changes brands and that does me no good.  I've purchased yarn there, made a small item and then decided I wanted to make something else so I go to buy another ball only to be told that they aren't carrying that brand anymore.  My LYS seems to be doing very well and I buy lots of other kinds of craft material there (if it's available) and so I don't feel bad buying in the city when I want to save some money.

If we were talking Local Quilting store, it would be a total different story - I buy almost exclusively from them!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008 06:59:57 PM by Homerof2 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
MandyLikesPie
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008 01:11:20 PM »

I tend to go to the LYS when I'm making a scarf for myself because (1) scarves don't take much yarn so it's not super costly and (2) I can't stand the way manmade fibers feel against my neck. For anything else, though--blankets, bags, amigirumi--I hit up one of the chains (there are 4 within a 3-minute drive from my office). My LYS is just too expensive to visit more than a couple times a year, and inexpensive yarn from a chain will usually work for what I make.

I'm also slightly uncomfortable going into the store because it's pretty elitist. Each time I've gone, there is a huge table of knitters that you have to shuffle around, and the owner knits at the table so you have to interrupt everyone and ask her to get up to help you if you want to pay for your stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jmeek15
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008 02:14:57 PM »

LOL! I just call my LYS to ask about a pattern, and she said, "no, I don't know what you're talking about, because we don't do anything with red heart." I just have to laugh. It's a cute pattern, there's nothing wrong with it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
megziewoodles

Yes. I knitted a webcomic.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008 01:00:56 AM »

There are no small yarn stores near my house. I'm stuck going to the chain stores.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
grandmaluvs_alex
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2008 05:48:39 AM »

There isn't a LYS near me either, so the chain stores are really my only option unless I shop online.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

itscribe
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008 03:57:06 PM »

My main problem with every LYS that I've been in is that they are often quite unfriendly and if you aren't there to buy 10 skeins of some $30+ yarn, they make it clear that you are in the wrong place.

I'm sorry, but sometimes I don't need a natural fiber and in fact I am just looking for a plain yarn for a plain project. I might even be willing to pay more for it in your shop but if I ask you for a simple white yarn for a giant doily/blanket for a stuffed Garfield (very long story  Grin) do not show me the $35 a skein hand-dyed, brushed Alpaca stuff imported from Peru that you just got in and that is decidedly not white nor suitable for a doily/blanket for a very large toy. Oh yeah, I'd only have needed 3 skeins of it to make a blanket the size I need. Sure, lady, not only am I not buying your Peruvian yarn, I will find someplace else to purchase my yarn.

The ones I've been in where I live now have yarns to die for but I refuse to be treated like I am trespassing because I dared to walk in their doors and not rush over to their most expensive wares. Oh, yeah, I also get treated like an alien because I only crochet and don't knit.

I have heard there's an awesome store over in Asheville (that's even friendly to us hookers) but I just can't get myself to fight the traffic and find parking in the city over there. And I think I would be crushed if they treated me as poorly as so many of the others have.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jessvict
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008 07:00:14 PM »

I must be lucky then, just the other day when i was there i saw a little basket of Red Heart. She also has some nicer yarns but i think the most expensive I've seen was $20 it think. Most of the prices range in between $5- $9. she probably realizes than being in a middle class town there wont be to much demand for that expensive of yarn. Everytime Ive gone in the owner always gets up and comes over and asks if you need help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
VF COLLECTIONS: Giorgio Armani - Fall 2015 - Milan Fashion Week - Runway & Interviews
FIRST LOOK: Nina Ricci - Fall 2015 - Paris Fashion Week
VF COLLECTIONS: Kenzo - Fall 2015 - Paris Fashion Week - Backstage, Runway & Interviews
FIRST LOOK: Vionnet - Fall 2015 - Paris Fashion Week
How To Make Your Own Deodorant
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Kitchen Dishtowels with Fabric Accents
Tomato/Tomahto
Meatless Monday: Veggie Bolognese Sauce

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...