A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,762
Currently Running With Scissors:
447 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: ami Q*Bert with pattern!  (Read 5579 times)
Tags for this thread: pattern , q_bert  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

JenGoPop
« on: May 07, 2008 11:26:05 AM »

So I crocheted my all-time favorite video game character!

Here's the pattern I made up.  This is the first time I've ever tried to formally write a pattern, so please let me know of any problems.  I'd really appreciate it! Enjoy!

Materials Needed:

size F crochet hook
tapestry needle
stitch marker (you will be working rounds in a spiral)
orange worsted weight yarn
small amount of white sport weight yarn
small amount of black worsted weight yarn
stuffing
metallic elastic cord
(optional) orange pipe cleaners or 24-gauge orange plastic-coated craft wire

BODY

Round 1:   With orange yarn, 6sc into adjustable ring.  Pull ring tight.
Round 2:   2 sc in each sc (12 stitches) (from now on, indicate first stitch of each round with a marker to keep your place)
Round 3:   *1 sc in sc, 2 sc in next sc* all around (18 stitches)
Round 4:   *1 sc in sc, 1 sc in next sc, 2 sc in next sc* all around (24 stitches)
Rounds 5-13:   1 sc in each sc around (24 stitches)

Pause here to sew on eyes, embroider pupils onto eyes with black yarn, and attach nose.  Knot all ends and hide inside body.  Partially stuff with filling.

Round 14:   *1 sc in sc, 1 sc in next sc, 1 sc in next sc, decrease (skip) next sc* all around (18 stitches)
Round 15:   *1 sc in sc, 1 sc in next sc, decrease (skip) next sc* all around (12 stitches)
Round 16:   *1 sc in sc, decrease (skip) next sc* all around (6 stitches)

Finish stuffing body, and slip stitch in each of the 6 remaining stitches to close body.  Finish off end and use embroidery needle to thread end through body.  Pull tight and snip off; end will retract into body and be hidden.  Attach legs and hide yarn ends the same way.

(Note:  On all parts from this point down, make sure your first end is long enough to sew and/or tie with (at least 2 inches)

EYES (make 2)

Round 1:   With white sport weight yarn, make an adjustable ring. 5 sc into ring.  Pull ring tight.
Round 2:   2 sc in first sc, 2 dc in next sc, 2 dc in next sc, 2 sc in next sc, sl st in next sc.  Finish off, leaving a sewing length. 

NOSE

Round 1:   With orange ww yarn, make an adjustable ring.  5 sc into ring.  Pull ring tight.
Round 2:   2 sc in each sc (10 stitches)
Rounds 3-4:   1 sc in each sc (10 stitches)
Round 5:   1 sc in each sc; sl st in next 2 sc (12 stitches) 

Finish off, leaving a sewing length.  Weave end down to the base of the schnozz.  Gently pull around the open end of the nose to flare it out a little.

LEGS (make 2)

Round 1:   With orange ww yarn, make an adjustable ring.  4 sc into ring.  Pull ring tight.
Rounds 2-8:   1 sc in each sc (4 stitches)

Finish off, leaving a sewing length.

FEET (make 2)

These may be a little tricky.  You'll be working on both sides of the chain (it ends up more or less down in the middle)

Chain 5, turn

Row 1:      skip first ch; sc in each of remaining 4 ch (4 stitches),  Ch 1, turn
Row 2:      sc in each sc (4 stitches); do not turn
Toe row:   working along short side of foot:  ch 2, sl st in the last sc you just did; ch 2, sl st in middle of short side; ch 2, sl st in same place as last time, do not turn
Row 3:      working down the unused loops of the original chain, sl st in each (4 stitches), do not turn

You should be at the original knot.  Jump over it, sl st in middle of short side (back of foot), then finish off, leaving a sewing length.

At this point, you can slip a pipe cleaner through the leg tubes, then sew legs (open end toward ankle) to feet, and bend the knees.

Alternatively, you could do the same with a piece of craft wire, and gently work the wire down into the stitches in the bottom of the foot before sewing leg and foot together (this is how the Q*Bert in the picture was done.)  You'll need to bend the ends and work them over and through a couple of stitches in the feet to keep them from poking out, which they might do anyway.  IF you intend your Q*Bert for a young child to play with, I would not recommend this method.

Alternatively again, you could leave the legs dangly, so your Q*Bert can sit down.  It's your call.  Smiley

Almost done! Using an embroidery needle, attach a short length of metallic cord through the top of Q*Bert's head.  Knot securely and hide ends inside.

(Note:  Feel free to do what you wish with your Q*Bert(s) , but please do not sell this pattern.  Besides, I don't own the rights to Q*Bert and you probably don't either Wink)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

No more blog + no more facebook = more time for crafting!

I'm also JenGoPop at Ravelry.
Orrkid
Crafty WICHITANS Unite!

I'm addicted to DDR. I need a 12-step program.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008 01:21:26 PM »

OH. MY. GOSH. I love it!!

Now that takes me waaaaay back. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

But we have flamethrowers. And what this indicates to me, it means that at some point, some person said to himself, "Gee, I sure would like to set those people on fire over there. But I'm way too far away to get the job done. If only I had something that would throw flame on them."
amber555
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008 11:53:12 PM »

Thanks for posting the pattern. That is very cute! It's been so long I barely even remember how you play Q*Bert, but at least I still recognized him in the thumbnail.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've started my own crochet blog, have a look...http://cthulhucrochet.blogspot.com/
kittykatt
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008 07:14:07 AM »

GOSH THIS BRINGS BACK GOOD TIMES BUT IT FEELS LIKE ITS BEEN SUCH A LONG TIME SINCE THEN....;THAT IS SO VERY CUTE...ITS NICE SEEING THE ORANGE GUY IN 3D Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
meekssandygirl
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008 08:14:52 AM »

Ha Ha! How funny! My mom used to play that game all the time! I'll have to make her one of these!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JenGoPop
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008 07:54:50 AM »

Thanks, everybody!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

No more blog + no more facebook = more time for crafting!

I'm also JenGoPop at Ravelry.
hheever
Hooked on Crochet worked for me.

Help, I started crocheting, and I can't stop!!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008 07:12:26 AM »

that is frickin sweet!  Would I be giving away my age to say I had the Q*Bert game either for my Atari 2600, or my Commodore 64 (I can't remember which one)? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Your logic does not resemble our Earth logic-Buffy Summers

Mine is much more advanced-Xander Harris

I-I like my women like I like my coffee, er, covered in bees! [to the bees] All right, back off, back off! Argh!" -Eddie Izzard

Forget regret, or life is yours to miss-Rent
angeltreats
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008 10:06:58 AM »

God that is so funny!  I love him.  I have orange scrap yarn, I have to make me one.

Funny that I'm the right age to have played Q*Bert (28 nearly) but I never have.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
4 Foolproof Ways to Jump on the Leather Shorts Trend
The Best Swimsuit For Your Body Type
You Can Do What With Double-Sided Tape?
Different Ways To Wear A Striped Shirt
The Mod Style Is Back In A Big Way
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...