A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 307,559
Currently Running With Scissors:
490 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Office Supplies Miniature Shadowboxes  (Read 1768 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SuzukiBeane33
« on: May 07, 2008 09:43:34 AM »

So I work in an office where the main job is filing lots and lots of records.  I have two students who help me out with this, and since this is the end of the semester, I wanted to make them a little present.  One of my favorite gifts to make for people are miniature shadowboxes- I cut out the top of a jewelry box, set in a piece of glass, and then make a 3-D collage inside. 

I work at an art school (trying to be non-specific here, since I think this is kind of unauthorized use of credentials.  I made sure there was no identifying information on anything though...)  So I cut up some of our file folders and folded up a lot of old credentials to put inside the files.  I also stuck in some slides to add a little interest, and covered the boxes with one of the main credentials that we file.  Attached some large magnets to the back, and voila!

Such fun gifts to give! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I am invisible, he thinks often.  And Exempt.  Immunity has been granted to me, for I do not lose my cool.  Polarity is selected at will, for I am not ionized and I possess not valence."
-Richard Farina, "Been Down So Long It Looks Like Up to Me"

www.baltimorediy.blogspot.com
darkladymajesta
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008 11:16:14 AM »

I can't believe that no one has commented! I think these are adorable and am amazed that you set your own glass. I just buy the pre-made shadow boxes  Roll Eyes Are they about 4" x4"? if so they would make an amazing series especially if you put about 16 all together on the wall.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Katxena
Gardening fool

Confused.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008 02:21:59 PM »

These are adorable -- what thoughtful gifts!  Smiley  Thank you for sharing this idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
batgirl
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008 02:26:06 PM »

These are really cute! I work in a slide library myself and have just made little graduation gifts for my 2 students! I wish I'd thought of this! I went with little camera themed pouches and retro jewelry. I hope they like them. I'm sure your students will!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
gardenpicnic
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008 04:25:42 PM »

These are really cool, i love this idea Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Linnybelle
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008 07:44:45 PM »

These are so cute!  I've been trying to do some shadow boxes, but I can't seem to find them anywhere near me.  It's such an interesting use of old files too and what a way to remember their jobs.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking for postcards from anywhere to use for RSVP cards for my 8/2012 wedding.  Have 80/200.
SuzukiBeane33
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008 06:00:34 PM »

Thanks everyone for your wonderful comments!  Glad I could give some gift ideas  Grin  These are definitely waay cheaper than regular shadowboxes (plus I can never find shadowboxes that are tiny enough).  Although they do require a bit more elbow grease (and a glass cutter. which is actually quite fun and gives you some crafty street cred as well  Tongue)

I've definitely been considering the idea of making a whole wall piece out of several of these boxes.  Perhaps a summer project?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I am invisible, he thinks often.  And Exempt.  Immunity has been granted to me, for I do not lose my cool.  Polarity is selected at will, for I am not ionized and I possess not valence."
-Richard Farina, "Been Down So Long It Looks Like Up to Me"

www.baltimorediy.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2016: Tutu Dress
Craft Challenge #117 Announced – Gingerbread House Contest!
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Tabletop Holiday Trees

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...