A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 299,122
Currently Running With Scissors:
616 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Kombucha!  (Read 2434 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Uniqueworn
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2008 07:50:33 PM »

I have added just straight up ginger juice from a juicer, and that is yummers.

I am bottling tomorrow (two batches, one green tea, one black tea) I am thinking about adding freeze dried strawberries to my green batch.

I have also heard that you can just rip them up, the guys at Katalyst told me to never let the SCOBY touch metal, so I wouldn't cut it with scissors or a knife.

I have the perfect settup for my brewing, just by chance! The room where the water heater is stays about 82 degrees, a great kombucha temperature, so my tea only has to brew for about two weeks to get nice and sour, and my SCOBYs get real thick. The only problem is that its a small room and I have two batches going in there and its allready packed!

where do you guys brew? Do you guys sell it to your pals? And what flavors have you had success with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yaaaaay!
SuzukiBeane33
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2008 02:07:02 PM »

Yeah, I have my jar set up in a dark corner behind my fridge, and now that summer's here, it's probably about 80 degrees or so in my kitchen.  I definitely noticed that once it got warmer, my SCOBY got ridiculously thick!  It looks so creamy and wonderful (before it looked much gummier and thinner). I share the tea and SCOBYs with friends.

I've tried both green tea and black tea.  The green was brewed about 10 days, the black was about 14.  I brewed longer the second time because I thought it would help with sourness.  But as it turned out, I kind of liked the 10 day version better.  It was kind of yeasty, almost like a beer, plus the amber color from the green tea was nice.  The 14 day was a little too watery tasting, even though it was more sour.  I think I'm going to brew for 10 days and try adding some lemon juice along with the ginger syrup (the juice sounds lovely uniqueworm!  as do the strawberries!).  Do you just let the jars ferment on your countertop after you bottle it?

I never knew that about not cutting the SCOBY with metal- I wonder why that is?  Do you think it's just the possibility for contamination?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I am invisible, he thinks often.  And Exempt.  Immunity has been granted to me, for I do not lose my cool.  Polarity is selected at will, for I am not ionized and I possess not valence."
-Richard Farina, "Been Down So Long It Looks Like Up to Me"

www.baltimorediy.blogspot.com
Uniqueworn
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2008 05:16:45 AM »

I don't really know, Oh but i also no that when you make bread you shouldn't mix it in a metal bowl because it won't rise...I guess metal and yeast are not pals.

I bottle into old grolsh bottles, and they just hang out for a few days on the counter until i think to put them in the fridge, I am not exact about my brewing at all.

Two of the lovely ladies i work with brew also, and the best kombucha i had was Lisa's, she let it brew for a month in her kitchen in a green tea. It was awesome, somehow better than mine, it was really sour and a deep amber color.

I will let you know how the strawberries worked out. I haven't bottled yet because it has been too hot here to brew new tea.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yaaaaay!
SuzukiBeane33
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2008 07:15:51 AM »

I'm drinking the latest batch right now, with some of the ginger syrup mixed in, and it is delicious!  To make the syrup I peeled a ginger root, chopped it up, and then boiled it down with a bunch of water and sugar.  Then bottled it with the kombucha (about a 9 day batch, black tea) and let it sit on my counter for a day.  You could definitely see that there was more carbonation already, although it is still not like the commercial kinds.  Tastes like a mix between kombucha and ginger beer, although sadly, still kind of flat.  I think I'm just going to have to start mixing in some seltzer.
I'm still drinking a ridiculous amount of this stuff though- definitely going to be brewing two simultaneous batches from now on.  I've definitely got to drink some grolsh beer or other kinds with the cork that pops in.  The air escapes really easily from my re-used glass screwtop bottles.

I threw 7 or 9 dried apricots in my other bottle, and they have already completely re-hydrated!  It looks very cool.  I'll try it tonight and let you all know how it turns out.

Any other good flavors or tricks?  Unique, did you have any luck on craigslist?  I feel like SCOBY would make excellent items for trades. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I am invisible, he thinks often.  And Exempt.  Immunity has been granted to me, for I do not lose my cool.  Polarity is selected at will, for I am not ionized and I possess not valence."

Uniqueworn
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2008 08:29:14 PM »

SCOBY tragedy has struck! i had to toss two batches and scobys due to a very rare and really bad bacteria. it was traumatizing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yaaaaay!
SuzukiBeane33
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2008 07:00:25 AM »

oh no!  so sorry for the loss.  i had to toss one SCOBY, but i think that was because i had a very loose weave cheesecloth over the top, and it was easy for stuff to get in there.  do you think you know what caused it, or was it just contamination from some unknown source? 

i've heard that you can pour store-bought kombucha in a container and let it sit, and a new SCOBY will form on top.  do you think that's true?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

samann1121

samann1121.etsy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2009 08:49:26 AM »

I make kombucha!  OK, I did until I got my morning sickness about 9 months ago.  I could NOT deal with the SCOBY at that point, so it kinda got neglected.  But now that my daughter is a month old and I have a bigger house, I plan on starting up again.  Apparently you can grow a new SCOBY from kombucha you already have.
http://www.foodrenegade.com/how-to-grow-a-kombucha-scoby/
I haven't tried it yet, but I hope it works.

The way I brewed mine when I was making it was:
1. Make ridiculously sweet organic black tea, and let sit until room temp.
2. Put in large glass jar (with a little of the last kombucha batch), put SCOBY on top, cover with a clean dish towel, and let sit on top of my fridge for 1 week.
3. Bottle it in mason jars, with some extra sugar and some concentrated fruit juice (cherry is my fave).  Let sit at room temp. 1 week.
4. Refrigerate and drink at your leisure!

This method makes it a little sweet/not too sour and super fizzy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

markycantcraft
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2009 11:18:23 AM »

this just got me thinking about buying that home brewers kit. Looks delish!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get a Literary Agent
Marjorie Celona Discusses Her Novel Y
Lenore Appelhans Discusses Her Novel Level 2
Mini Biography of William Shakespeare
Iris Murdoch: The Life of the Mind
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...