A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,189
Currently Running With Scissors:
513 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help with applique etc.  (Read 712 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Camellia_Ruth
Hypnotised

Fuelling obsession that borders psychosis

View Profile WWW
« on: May 07, 2008 05:37:58 AM »

Hiya... hopefully this question is in the right place... I'm making a costume for akon and I really need help with trying to do an applique (?)

I'm going as Linka from Captain Planet. I've painted the planeteer shirt earth thing on some tan fabric so the colors would show up and not look crinkly on the shirt fabric... I want to move the painted design to the shirt... I'm not sure how to cut out the design and sew it to the shirt without the fraying and stuff like that... I've tried a few how to links and just get lost... can someone help me if I post up some pix of what I am working with and maybe someone here in Houston that can meet up with me some where and teach me or something like that..

THIS ROCKS   Logged

You came in from the darkness and held the door open wide
You stood there like a vision before my unbelieving eyes
I believe in what I see and also what I hear
But did the night play tricks on me or were you really there.
SpottedFrog
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008 06:34:29 AM »

Here are some written instructions. In the strp where it says to draw/ trace your shape? cut out your already painted piece, about 1/4" wider than the edge of the paint. That way you don't cover your paint with thread when sewing.

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=239026.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Camellia_Ruth
Hypnotised

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008 11:52:25 AM »

Thanks for much for such a prompt reply Penlowe!
  I think I'm going to try the link you gave me info on... I got a little lost on the second tracing bit.... so after I cut out the first shape I can then cut it smaller or something? >.< Would you or anyone know if the fusing stuff is available at joanns or like walmart?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Zelda.Suicide
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008 12:01:17 PM »

The "fusing stuff" I usually use is Heat and Bond, you can get it at Joann's (I don't know about Walmart, I try never to go in there), you can either get a prepackaged amount (which should be plenty for you), or you can buy it by the yard (I just got some by the yard at my local quilt/fabric/sew-n-vac store).  It comes in either Lite or Ultra, Lite is sewable, the Ultra not (though I have sewn the Ultra with my machine, because I like to break the rules, and it's never been an issue).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SpottedFrog
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008 12:19:32 PM »

Haet n Bond & Wonder Under are the same thing, just different brand names Smiley If your Wally World sells fabric still, it should have some sort of heat fuse stuff, it's usually with the innerfacing and plastic sheeting.

You globe looks nice:) That is your shape with extra waiting for WonderUnder  right? you are doing good, (get the heat fuse) cut a piece bigger than the globe but a hair smaller than the whole rectangle.
 Iron it onto the rectangle.
[NOTE: you are working with heat on the back of a painted surface, just to be safe, cover your ironing board with either some paper towels or a dish towel just in case the paint gets tascky during the ironing process]

Take your WonderUndered globe & trim it to size. You will notice cutting when it's stiff like this is easy Smiley
Peel the paper off the back, place where you want it & iron.
[Again, working with a painted surface you need to protect your iron, especially this time ironing directly on the painted side. Dish towel is probably vest]
Use a zig zag or satin stitch to sew around the outside of your applique. You want the stitch to be 90% (or better) on the applique & just barely off the edge into the tee. If you go 50/50 it'll pucker the tee.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Camellia_Ruth
Hypnotised

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008 06:52:49 PM »

Cheesy Wow! Thanks so much for alllll the information!!! I really can't express how happy I am that I can now finish my costume in time for akon!! 

I live in Houston, trying to even get into the walmart is difficult and only if I desperately need something they might only have!! -sorry off topic. Cheesy

Again Thank you so much for the help and I'll try to get up a complete post/pix in a completed topic. Cheesy 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SpottedFrog
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008 06:19:03 AM »

Houston hosts the most fantastic humongous quilt show every year, Houston has good fabric stores!! I'd avoid Walmart too if I had the quantity and quality of fabric stores like you do Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Style Council Nataliee’s Summer Beach Haul!
Under $20 Spring/Summer Finds
Style Council Ellie’s Top Beach Picks!
What To Wear: Summer Fashion For Kids That Can Transition Into Fall
Up-Close: Chanel Couture 2013 Collection
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Ticket Stub Shadowbox
Fishy fishy fishy...
Tute Tuesday: Fascinators

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...