A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 305,018
Currently Running With Scissors:
418 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Yo-Saff-Bridge Shawl with Pattern  (Read 5837 times)
Tags for this thread: shawl , wrap , firefly , serenity , whedon , tv , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

chucklikesart
RADTASTIC!

Cross my heart and kiss my elbow.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: May 06, 2008 08:56:44 PM »

I went to Dallas ComicCon on Saturday the 5th of April, and I had a blast! I wore the Saffron costume that I had worked very hard on, which was great because Christina Hendricks, the actress that played her, was there! My experiance meeting her was priceless.

I'd never been to a convention before, so I was a little nervous. When I walked through the door, I approached a fellow dressed as Mal because he looked like a man who knew what I needed to know. Turns out he did, but his price for the information was a picture with this Devil Woman. He led me right to her table, where there was a relatively short line. I waited patiently for a few moments, listening while the lovely Miss Hendricks talked to the people in front of me. She is so beautiful in person! (she is my ultimate girlcrush). But, and this is where the really cool part starts, I kid you not, half way through a conversation with another patron she caught sight of me out of the corner of her eye. She STOPPED talking to the person, went "Ooooh!" took out her camera phone, and snapped a picture of me, them went back to buisness as usual.

I waited a few more minutes, and then finally it was my turn! She kept going on about my attention to detail and how accurate I looked! She loved my shawl-- I took it off so she could see it better and she just went on and on about it. She knits too! Hearing her compliment my work meant so much to me! She even signed my autograph to "my twin"! She really made my first convention amazing.
After posting pictures of my costume, I received an overwhelming amount of reqests for the pattern on livejournal and at Ravelry, so without further ado, the Mrs. Reynolds Shawl pattern.

(this is by no means screen-accurate, but if it's good enough for the REAL Saffron, its good enough for me Cheesy Oh, and I don't own anything related to Firefly, Serenity, or Mutant Enemy-- that's all Joss's territory. I just obsess over it...)

Mrs. Reynolds

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d50/the_knittymistress/IMG_6388.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d50/the_knittymistress/IMG_6384.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d50/the_knittymistress/IMG_6383.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d50/the_knittymistress/IMG_6380.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d50/the_knittymistress/IMG_6381.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d50/the_knittymistress/IMG_6378.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d50/the_knittymistress/IMG_6040.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d50/the_knittymistress/IMG_6039.jpg

Finished Garment Measurements:
Width across top: 65"
Height from center point:40"
Length of side: 55"

Gauge:
2 rows (one repeat): 1.5"
3 dc, ch 3, and 3 dc = 1 1/2"

Supplies:
3 skeins of Red Heart Super Saver <100% Acryilc/ Worsted Weight/ 4 Ply/ 364 Yards> in Ranch Red
I/9 /5.50mm Crochet Hook

Stitches:
Double Crochet:
Yarn over hook, insert hook in the next stitch to be worked, yarn over hook, pull yarn through stitch, yarn over hook, pull yarn through 2 loops on hook, yarn over hook,
pull yarn through last 2 loops on hook (one double crochet made)

Treble Crochet:
Yarn over hook twice, then insert hook into next stitch. Yarn over hook and draw yarn through stitch - (there are four loops on the hook). Loop yarn over hook and draw through two loops, (there are now three loops remaining on the hook). Yarn over hook and draw through two loops.

Abbreviations:
dc- double crochet
ch-chain

Pattern:
Just so you are oriented, you'll be starting with the back point of the shawl and working your way to the widest part.

Ch 6, turn. You are now working on the wrong side of the shawl. Even numered rows are the Right Side, odd numbers are the wrong side.

Row 1: Work one dc in the 4th, 5th, and 6th ch from hook. Ch 5, turn. You are now working the right side of the shawl.
Row 2:Work 3 dc in first dc of the previous row, skip 2 dc. In top of the begining ch6, work 3 dc, ch 1, and work one treble crochet. Ch 3, turn. Wrong side of work is now facing you
Row 3: Work 4 dc in ch-1, ch 4, skip 6 dc, 4 dc in next ch-loop, dc in 3rd ch of same loop. Ch 5, turn.
Row 4: Work 3 dc in first dc, in ch-4 work 3 dc, ch 3, and 3dc, skip 4 dc, in starting ch work 3 dc, ch 1, and tr. Ch 3, turn.
Row 5: Work 4 dc in ch 1 from previous row, ch 4. Skip 6 dc, 4 dc in ch 3 of previous row, ch 4. Skip 6 dc, 4 dc in next ch loop, dc in 3rd ch of same loop. Ch 5, turn.
Row 6: Skip first dc, 3 dc in next dc, (in next ch 4 work 3 dc, ch 3, and 3 dc) 2 times, skip 4 dc, in top of starting ch work 3 dc, ch 1, and tr. Ch 3, turn.
Row 7: Work 4 dc in ch-1, ch 4, * (4 dc in next ch 3, ch 4) 2 times, skip 6 dc, 4 dc in next ch loop, dc in 3rd ch of same loop. Ch 5, turn.
Row 8: Skip first dc, 3 dc in next dc, * in next ch 4 work 3 dc, ch 3, and 3 dc; repeat from * across, end skip 4 dc, in top of starting ch work 3 dc, ch 1, and tr. Ch 3, turn.
Row 9: Work 4 dc in ch 1, * ch 4, 4 dc in next ch 3; repeat from * across, end ch 4, skip 6 dc, 4 dc in next ch-loop, dc in 3rd ch of same loop. Ch 5, turn. Repeat Rows 8 and 9 until you have completed a total of 38 rows, ending with Row 8 as the neck-edge of your shawl. Do not cut yarn.</div>

Picot Border:
Turn to work across side edge in pattern as for Row 9. Continue around entire perimeter of shawl, creating one complete rotation, ending at the same place you started. Begin down side edge again: Slip stitch in corner, ch 3 for first dc, in same corner work 3 dc, * continuing along side edge in next starting-ch loop work 3 dc, ch 3, and 3 dc *; repeat from * to * to bottom corner, in each of two points at center bottom work 3 dc, ch 3, and 3 dc; repeat from * to * across next side edge, end 4 dc in last corner. Continue in pattern across neck edge. Cut yarn and weave in ends.

Tassels:
In groups of 3 18" long strands, create tassels in points of every third picot. Place tassels in all 3 points of triangle.

Now, go get yourself a husband to steal!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012 04:33:25 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working image(s) to link(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

MLJHydro
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008 09:20:58 PM »

I just watched Our Mrs. Reynolds (again) and when I saw your thumbnail I knew exactly what it was.
It looks fantastic!
I really like the lipstick picture, very in character.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AeonGoddess
Meme-queen

I dare you to make less sense.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008 09:22:51 PM »

Wow. That is a really awesome shawl, and I love the story to go with it! I wish I could get the hang of crochet so I could have a husband-stealing shawl of my own!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FarahAbood
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008 09:23:37 PM »

I like the color and your job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Solipsist87

I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008 09:38:42 PM »

I LOVE THAT!!
Although I must say that I love her most in Trash...mostly because Zoe punches her in the face. I digress, you look amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is one big road with lots of signs. So when you riding through the ruts, don't complicate your mind. Flee from hate, mischief and jealousy. Don't bury your thoughts, put your vision to reality . Wake Up and Live!
-Bob Marley
Lootyaj
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008 06:15:32 AM »

I really like your shawl.  The whole outfit looks very 'Mrs. Reynolds', I bet she did a double take after seeing you looking just like her:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Amy Jo ~
My Wist
Kookaloo_Starr

the best things in life aren't things!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008 06:37:07 AM »

OMG OMG OMG!!!  Shocked Shocked Shocked You look FABULOUS as YoSaffBridge  Grin and thank you for sharing your experience meeting Our Mrs Reynolds and your wonderful pattern too  Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Use what talent you possess - the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best"

50 in '14
Adaquinn
How beaded it is!!

Aren't I cute?!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008 06:54:50 AM »

Oh WOW!  You look AWESOME!
I love that shawl!  I'm glad you got to meet the actress and she loved your shawl. 
Thanks for sharing the experience and the pattern.
 Grin 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SidekickFancy
...and then there was Fancy...

Funny how it feels when there's nothing to say...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008 11:30:59 PM »

Haha, this is wonderful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Happiness can be found in the darkest of times...if one only remembers to turn on the lights.

You can lead a heart to love, but you can't make it fall.

http://www.wists.com/thegyrlwholived
heltonart
Art & More

Dollbabe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2008 11:33:49 AM »

I'm a crazy Firefly fan!  Your shawl is just awesome!  I'll be making one of those!  I already have a husband, but who knows once I make one of these!

Thanks for sharing your pattern!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Videofashion News: Marissa Webb Spring/Summer 2015 - NYFW
Product Review: Face Wipes - Dr. Murad Clarifying Wipes
Get Easy Dramatic Eyes
Perfume Pop Quiz
Shiseido, Beer Floats, and DIY Jewelry
Latest Blog Articles
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...