A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,543
Currently Running With Scissors:
698 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: You've Got the Button: From Yard Sale Find to One-of-a-Kind, a Side Table  (Read 46751 times)
Tags for this thread: craftster_best_of_2008 , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

onceupon
« on: May 06, 2008 06:57:39 AM »

If I were going to write an article for a craft magazine about this project, this is how it would go:

One Saturday afternoon, at a yard sale, I had one of those moments. One of those moments when the heavens parted and a ray of sunshine fell on an item I just couldn't leave behind. Sometimes this happens to me at yard sales.

This particular ray fell on a small side table, about knee-high, with angled legs and a slightly recessed top. After some smart bargaining, the table went home with me for the low, low price of $5.

My next step was to start combing ebay for buttons. Buttons can be purchased in bulk lots for between five and twenty dollars, plus shipping. I ordered two bulk batches for a total of 1600+ buttons in a green and white mix. Always order more than you think youll need for a project like this. The table I was working with had about 2 sq feet of surface area and I had around 100 buttons when I finished.

When youve picked a color scheme for your buttons, and you are waiting on them to arrive, take the time to sand and paint your table. I used a white semi-gloss spray paint and applied three thin coats. Thin coats are always better!

Once the paint is dry and your buttons are in hand, its time to start applying the buttons. I used a basic tacky craft glue to affix my buttons. Spread a thin layer of glue on your surface and start applying your buttons. Nestle them up close to each other, but dont go too crazy. Its easy to get a bit obsessive with this sort of project but the random spacing is part of the charm of the finished object. Make sure your buttons, if you are using a table with a recessed top, do not rise above the top of the lip that goes around the edge of the table. Snip the shanks off of any buttons that do not have flat backs.

It makes life a lot easier if you start at the corners and work your way in to the middle. Cover small areas at a time and take breaks if you start to feel a little crazy.

When you have covered the surface of your table with buttons, allow the glue to dry at least overnight. The glue must be totally dry before you move on to pouring your resin.

Resin can be a little tricky to track down locally. Try your major craft stores and home improvement stores. You are looking for casting resin, not fiberglass resin. I use a brand called Envirotex because it is super easy to mix and use.

Youre going to need resin, catalyst (sold as part of the Envirotex kit), two containers, and a mixing stick. Add you resin and catalyst in equal parts (or according to the directions that came with your kit) to one of the containers and mix vigorously, as if you were mixing cake batter. Because it is essential for the resin and catalyst to thoroughly mix, pour the mixture of resin and catalyst from one container into the other. Use your mixing stick to continue vigorous stirring. After about a minute, you should be ready to pour.

Ideally, you will pour your resin in thin layers (just like with spray paint, thin layers are better with resin, too). Dont pour layers that are more than 1/8 of an inch thick youll wind up with improperly cured resin and a lot more air bubbles.

Make sure, as you pour the first layer, that you use your mixing stick to spread the resin out like cake frosting just dont lick the spoon. Air bubbles will begin to rise to the surface. As they reach the surface, blow on them. The carbon dioxide in your breath will help release the bubbles. Just be careful not to inhale the fumes.

Allow your resin to set for a few hours. The setting time depends on temperature and humidity. Hot, dry climates will need less time than cool, damp ones. It isnt fair, but it is true. When your first layer has set, pour a second layer. Continue this process of pouring layers and allowing them to set until your resin is at the level you desire.

Once you have all of your resin poured, allow the table top to cure for 72 hours. When youre done waiting which is the most difficult part of this project you will have a beautiful and level table top encasing a colorful array of buttons. A one of a kind side table is all yours! Now put it to good use.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

mamafox
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008 07:07:48 AM »

this is sooooo
sooooo
soooooo
cute!
I love it!
Thanks for your directions and play by play!
It turned out way better than i would have guessed.
Did i say I love it!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
maria isabel
blah blah blah

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008 07:08:03 AM »

This is the most beautiful table ever!
*Im so hitting the this rocks button  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Too many ads ruin a mediocre site.
socalgirl

Momma by day...Crafter by night

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008 07:22:22 AM »

This table is amazing! Yahoo for garage sale finds! You did a great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

GOD LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!

need me email me! jat42171@yahoo.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008 07:22:52 AM »

well  this is  fabulous!  great idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
LeapFeetFirst
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008 07:46:49 AM »

thank you so much for your in-depth explaniation on how to make a button table. I love how yours turned out. I especially love the green and white color combo. This rocks!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PoodlyBooty
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008 07:54:00 AM »

WOW, love what you did with all those beautiful buttons! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nofury

With every breath of honesty, I strip before you.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2008 07:54:49 AM »

That is incredibly beautiful! I love the simplicity of the table, and GREEN!!! Beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2009! 26/50
Flickr!
Wist!
"We are all trapped in the amber of the moment. There is no why." --K. Vonnegut
HippieKender
The most precious thing one can make is a friend.

I tend to lick circular things.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2008 08:05:56 AM »

I am in LOVE with this table!!  I can't wait for yard sales to start up!
I'm bookmarking this so I can make one for my new house (if I ever get one)!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crappiefisher
Crappiefisher

I just LOVE craftster!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2008 08:07:22 AM »

awesome idea!
I have an old, folding card table that my husband has been carrying around since he was a kid. This poor table, although very sturdy, is in need of a refinish. I'm thinking of tiling the top, but I like the resin idea.

Question: If I were to apply resin to the top of the table, I would need to create a frame to create on the edges on the table top to contain the resin. Would the resin stick to wood, or should I use some other material? What can I use to allow the resin to release free from the frame after it dries?

I seek your resin knowledge.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Don't you let nobody tell you that you can't do nothin. You can do whatevah you put your mind to!" - wise words from my Granny when I was 5 years old.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Whispered Lies Book Trailer
Tom Pelphrey on Playing Jonathan Randall in Guiding Light
Mary-Ann Tirone Smith Discusses Girls of Tender Age
James Scurlock Discusses His Book Maxed Out
Where Valerie Fitzgerald Would Like to Be Right Now
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...