A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,157
Currently Running With Scissors:
532 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: No Bones About It!! ***** IMG HEAVY and Tutorial *****  (Read 16392 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , lampshade  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

smashergrl
Doing what you like is Freedom. Liking what you do is Happiness.

Procrastination: art of keeping up with last week

View Profile WWW
« on: May 05, 2008 09:00:51 PM »

I hope I'm in time!!

This was something that I've had in my head for a while, but just didnt know how to make it. 
I was inspired by this http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/cr_home_accessories/article/0,1789,HGTV_3255_2334731,00.html and this http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=68694.0 (can't see those pics though....)

The "shade" is made out of wooden frames from the dollar store and wooden dowels.
I used wire hooked into eye hooks to hold the shade on the lamp harp.  I used a large sized oatmeal container painted black for the base.  It's a bit wobbly because of the glass in the frames, so it needs a bit of work.

Materials used: 
4 black wooden dollar store frames
2 3/8-inch square wooden dowels, cut into 4 pieces.
wood glue
4 3/8-inch eye hooks

Start by removing the glass and cardboard backing from the frames.  Measure and cut the dowels to the long side of the frame. Glue one dowel to one frame with wood glue.  Clamp for 30 minutes, and then let dry overnight.

While the frames are drying, take a glass and use that as your guide to cut your image down to size.  I used my mom's MRI images.  Also make sure a plain white sheet of paper is the same size as the glass.

Now that your frame pieces are dry, start gluing them together to form a box.  Clamp for 30 minutes, then let dry overnight.  I painted the dowels and the outside of the frame box black.

You now have a box.  Here comes the harder part.  How to hang it on the lamp harp.   Take an eye hook and screw it into the frame, I put mine about 3 or 4 inches from the top.  I picked the same spot in each corner, so that there is one eye hook in each frame.

Take a piece of wire and lay it across your box diagonally.  Make sure to have about 2 or 3 inches extra on each end.  I used a heavy gauge annealed binding wire that my dad gave me.  I think you could probably use bailing wire.

Fold the wire in half to find the middle

Make a loop to fit around the screw on top of the lamp harp.

Bend the extra 2 or 3 inches of the wire down, so that you can put it in the eye hooks.  You want to hang the wire diagonally.

You want to try and get the loop in the center, so that your shade will hang evenly. 

Put the shade on the lamp harp, add the finial and you have a lamp!

While taking these in progress pictures, I discovered that if you are going to have a heavy frame, you might want to use a sturdier base.  My oatmeal base broke  Sad    Next time I am going to try pvc pipe.

Edit: 
Thanks to tara472.  She made me remember a step.  When I put the images back into the frame, I also used the glass.  So here is how the items go into the frame:  MRI image, paper, glass.  I wasn't sure if anything was going to melt.  I will call a hospital and find out more info. 
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008 05:21:43 PM by smashergrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

katiekutthroat
one sassy southern crafter.. not for the easily offended

Thin line between adorable and appalling!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008 09:11:58 PM »

thats cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bloodybella
I craft out of neccesity

Well...here I go!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008 10:11:44 PM »

very cool. I just had a thought...this would be a neat thing to do with a sonogram.  like a lamp to put in a nursury. When I was pregnant they gave us like a million pictures. But they are on paper that will eventually fade in the light. But if you could get around that, or if your doctor gave you a real printout (like on the xray type plastic) that could be really cool.
but anyway....yeah
 smashergrl that came out really good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ashes, ashes, we all fall down.
aliens_in_red
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008 12:14:55 AM »

Awesome!  But... I feel hurt just looking at the pictures... Lol... it's why I never could be a nurse or doctor. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Reunite Gondwanaland!!!
Rorbot
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008 12:22:16 AM »

thats rad. I have always, always wanted to do something with x-rays. I don't have any in my possesion. I've had x rays done many a time but have never got to actually hold them...i suppose printing on clear sheet would work to, like overhead stuff... Anyway, love it
THIS ROCKS   Logged
timid_gothica

I will spray paint your face!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008 01:19:13 AM »

industrial...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat shit and die
- Hunter S. Thompson

my etsy!
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5779650
smashergrl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008 06:21:32 AM »

very cool. I just had a thought...this would be a neat thing to do with a sonogram.  like a lamp to put in a nursury. When I was pregnant they gave us like a million pictures. But they are on paper that will eventually fade in the light. But if you could get around that, or if your doctor gave you a real printout (like on the xray type plastic) that could be really cool.
but anyway....yeah
 smashergrl that came out really good.

Thanks bloodybella!  You know, some copiers will print out onto transparency film.  you could put a bunch together and print them on that.  I'm going to edit my entry with some instructions.  I was in such a hurry to get it finished and posted before midnight... 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kitschkween
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2008 07:02:17 AM »

that lamp is so cool! it looks like like it would make a good night light.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

smashergrl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2008 09:52:34 AM »

that lamp is so cool! it looks like like it would make a good night light.

it actually give off a good amount of light, it probably could be used for a night light.  bloodybella has my wheels turning now!  a sonogram night light....   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tara472
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2008 10:13:28 AM »

fyi - xrays emit fumes that can be hazardous to your health, according to the radiologists i worked with. this was a few years ago so the composition of the film paper (mri, ct, xrays are all printed on same paper) may have changed but i just wanted you to be aware of that. plus the films contain trace amounts of silver which can be dangerous to touch as well, but that could just be in large amounts?  anyway, awesome lamp!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use a Makeup Sponge to Apply Foundation
How To Make Your Own Face Mask At Home Using Fruit Juices And Sugar
How to Do a Marbleized Manicure
How to Do a Great Gatsby Look For Halloween
Josie Maran Talks Style and Finding Her Passion
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...