A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 305,030
Currently Running With Scissors:
598 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Stretched Record Bowls -With Tutorial-  (Read 5549 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bella_domanie
« on: May 05, 2008 02:32:06 PM »

http://a550.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/62/l_798d909e635dd8cc5a936f6b03cb5e1d.jpg
http://a740.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/120/l_ba649778ef7ee115d4683fd0f5ad848b.jpg

(Make sure you have a few extra records because you'll be doing a big of experimenting to get it right)

What you need:
-A large metal bowl. The rim of the bowl needs to match up with the edge of the record.
-A smaller bowl for the center.
-Black triangle binder clips (you can get a pack of them from the dollar store)
-A heat gun
-Hands that can handle a bit of heat
-And a WIDE open window, this stuff stinks lol.

Precautions:
-The smaller bowls you will use on the inside will get pretty warm.  So will your fingers from pushing on it and from the heat gun going around them.
-Keep your heat and pressure even.  If you don't, it'll be lopsided.
-Make sure your clips are evenly spaced around and that you have about six or 8 of them.
-You will need to rotate the clips around as you go or they will leave indentions on the edge.
-Don't put the heat gun too close to the record or you will get a hot spot and it will bubble and be too thin in that part and tear.
-When you heat it with the heat gun, make full circles around it, evenly and only for short periods of time.

1. Line up your record with the edges of the bowl, make sure it's perfect, and place the binder clips, evenly, all the way around.  Take your small bowl and lay it top down ontop of the record.  Make sure it's evenly centered.  A good way to do that is to follow the rings in the record.

2. Turn on your heat gun and with the end of it about an inch or an inch and a half away from the record, make even rings around the outside of the little bowl but not too close to the edge of the record (trust me, it's bad to go to the edge).  While you're heating the edge, take one hand and put light pressure on the small bowl.  You will start to see that it's sinking.  Don't heat it for too long because the air inside the large bowl will want to push out from under the record and will ripple the edge.  If this happens, quickly put down the gun and move the clips around.  Keep them even.  

Let it cool between heating.

3. Keep repeating this untill you get it where you want it.  You won't be able to get it more than a couple inches deep because it'll get to thin and tear.  I suggest using a medium size bowl for the top so it's more like a tray.  Oh, and don't bother trying to use a potholder on the small bowl to keep your hands cool.... it'll just get in the way.

Good luck and have fun!!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012 10:17:26 AM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working image(s) to link(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged
bunsenhoneydew13
copacetic

superherogirl.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008 04:01:36 PM »

Wow!  Kudos to you!  I've never seen a smooth record bowl before.  The only ones I've seen were ripply and melted in the oven...you've just opened up a whole new world of possibility for me Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shastaw2006
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008 06:54:43 PM »

wow, thanks for this! i can't wait to try it out
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ChickLitWriterGirl
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008 02:52:01 AM »

I've been wondering how to make them smooth-edged! Thanks for the great tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...x... Measure Your Life In Love ...x...
jenna_alive
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008 05:07:23 PM »

Hahah, the box in the background cracks me up.

Protective ice glaze!  Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bella_domanie
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008 05:27:55 PM »

lol Yah.  My husband works at the Carl's Jr. warehouse and we get discounts and can buy the food they sell pretty cheap lol.  That was a box of Six Dollar Burger patties.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
polaris082411
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008 08:12:52 PM »

Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Make your home in oritental style!
http://www.discovery5000.com/chanpin.asp
sookie74
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008 09:32:00 AM »

that looks so much better than the warped ones you usually see! great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

empress_deva
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2008 05:07:04 PM »

This bowl looks so great, you can't tell it is a record bowl until you look in the center.  Very different from the other records bowls out there.  You have done a wonderful job and it looks so professional.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://devarocks.blogspot.com
http://www.myspace.com/deva5aaron

I feel like a hero and you are my heroine
Do you know that your love is the sweetest sin?
madeliefje
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008 08:27:19 AM »

thanks for the tut i  got a lot of records so i give it a try
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Style Short Hair for Men
How to Style Your Hair in a Perfect Ponytail
How to Style Your Hair in a French Twist
How to Straighten Hair
How to Use a Curling Iron
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Thrifty Dog Bed
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...