A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,704
Currently Running With Scissors:
619 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bleh Ceiling Fan to Working Model of the Solar System  (Read 11910 times)
Tags for this thread: solar_system_crafts  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

degenecle
djrk

I wanna be a professional grandma

View Profile
« on: May 04, 2008 10:35:03 PM »

Whew! So, I promised myself that I would finally enter a challenge. After many set-backs (a few things left undone - grr...), I'm making myself post this, cause a promise is a promise.

Anywho, teaser pic for the thumbnails:

And here's the before:

My wife is an astronomy buff. She adores everything space-related. Myself, I've always been absolutely fascinated by models of the solar system. Scale models especially. Looking at my ceiling fan in the "study" (supposed to be the dining room, but books take precedence over eating in my household), I was struck how the blades revolve around a central light - much like a solar system! Yay!

So I took apart the fan and base,

flipped and painted the blades,

painted the ceiling black,

and sprayed it with glitter (I will be finding glitter in my house for the next year, but it was worth it)

The four innermost planets are made of Styrofoam and glued to the fan blades,

four outermost are made of paper mache (good old paper mache...)

Better shot of the glitter ceiling:

I harvested a rubber ball to act as my sun,

Unfortunately, as I'm sure you noticed, Saturn exploded when I tried to remove its ballon, and so Saturn is a barren paper planet until I can redo it.

Also, I ran out of paint a third of the way through Jupiter (which gives me huge amounts of "I told you so!"s to use against my wife the next time we're craft shopping. She swore we had enough. Pft.)

And, finally, my wire brace for the inside of the sun buckled and broke. I had to improvise a different one for the picture. It ends up being round, though the pics don't look it.

Positives! The planets are all to scale with each other (not with the sun, however.  It had to fit in my study). The distances from the sun are to scale with each other. However, distances and sizes obviously aren't. Neptune isn't visible in the pics because it's in the furthest corner from the fan. It wanted to be included, so here it is:

The best part, this is the project that never ends! We plan to add moons, the asteroid belt, and nebulae. Hurray for nerdy spousal bonding time!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Burningrubber
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008 11:32:20 PM »

Thats a cool idea. I wouldn't do it but I think it's great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KMOM13
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008 06:33:51 AM »

What a cute idea!  Would be a good learning tool in a child's room or any astronomy buff...if we didn't rent, I would try this in my son's room; especially like the idea that it could be an ongoing joint/family project as the universe is vast.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Layering Effect in Graffiti
How to Draw the Graffiti Letter R
How to Draw the Graffiti Letter U
How to Draw the Graffiti Letter S
How to Draw the Graffiti Letter V
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...