A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,683
Currently Running With Scissors:
476 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitting for the non-rear-end-enabled (don't worry; pics safe for all eyes!)  (Read 3396 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

FluffyMonkey
i feel my fate in what i cannot fear

The creative mind plays with what it loves

View Profile
« on: May 04, 2008 12:14:39 PM »

I thought I'd be "pc" with my title...  Cheesy

Last Christmas, I had emergency, life-saving surgery. The result was a temporary ileostomy, one of the things I had once viewed as my own personal version of hell on earth. It actually turned out fine, if uncomfortable, but I'll spare you most of the details (if you want to find out, hit up wikipedia, not a google image search. Trust me.).

My ileostomy is located in a different place most because of the extremely bad situation I was in, so I have some issues that most people don't have. My problem is mainly this: The bottom of the snap-and-roll ostomy bags have sharp little corners that poke my legs when I walk. Ouch!

Of course, we all know that the solution to all problems is knitting, so here's what I came up with:

This bag cover is way more fashionable and comfortable than the bag all alone. I also included an unused bag in the shot so you can see what I'm talking about.

Here it is modeled by my ever-patient Jeero:

I figured this was a little more polite than a picture of me wearing it, even though you wouldn't see anything but knitted item and a little tummy.

I don't know how useful this is for all of you, but I was pretty excited about it, even though I quickly realized that it is only helpful while I'm in pj's. I'm already planning its next incarnation.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008 12:15:05 PM by FluffyMonkey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"There are two kinds of strengths: the strength to lead, and the strength to follow; the strength to control, and the strength to yield. There are two kinds of power: the power to strip another's soul bare, and the power to stand naked."
~Yaldah Tovah

On Ravelry! Look me up; there I'm baela.
nataluna
living in the "before" picture...

strange is not a crime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008 12:17:06 PM »

wow, if they ever do the cozy challenge, you should win something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

creative criticism always appreciated!
my swaps and crafts
Tianas
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008 12:26:40 PM »

Wow! When I saw this I couldn't stop laughing.  I had a ileostomy about a year ago for about 6 month while I was having surgery and this would of come in very handy!  Having the clip rub against your leg was irritating.  Terrific solution.  My stomas name was Stomarama, lol. Does your have a name?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
missjulie
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008 12:33:52 PM »

That's awesome!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Thats because youre a part of something larger. Like
being swallowed by something larger.

http://shinyshiny.wordpress.com
FluffyMonkey

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2008 12:41:49 PM »

Thanks!

Wow! When I saw this I couldn't stop laughing.  I had a ileostomy about a year ago for about 6 month while I was having surgery and this would of come in very handy!  Having the clip rub against your leg was irritating.  Terrific solution.  My stomas name was Stomarama, lol. Does your have a name?

Yep. His name is Illie, as in, "Illie, be quiet! I need this bag to stick!!"

What is actually more practical is a little ribbed cuff I made the day after this cozy because the cozy was huge and won't stay on well. It's still funny, though. And uber soft and comfy whenever I can get it to stay for a few minutes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"There are two kinds of strengths: the strength to lead, and the strength to follow; the strength to control, and the strength to yield. There are two kinds of power: the power to strip another's soul bare, and the power to stand naked."
~Yaldah Tovah

Kookaloo_Starr

the best things in life aren't things!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2008 12:53:27 PM »

You're title had me intrigued and I had to laugh when I saw you cosy  Grin My hubby has made me promise not to crochet one for him when he has his op!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Use what talent you possess - the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best"

50 in '14
FluffyMonkey

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2008 01:17:09 PM »

If I were you, Kookaloo_Starr, I would go ahead and make a little cuff to go around the bottom anyway. He will thank you later, even if he doesn't know it yet!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Yaldah Tovah

Kookaloo_Starr

the best things in life aren't things!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2008 01:25:15 PM »

I think that's a damned good idea my dear!
and I forgot to add earlier that I hope you have a full recovery and remain in the best of health  Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Use what talent you possess - the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best"

50 in '14
angeltreats
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2008 01:50:57 PM »

What an awesome idea!  Well done for thinking of it. 

Also wishing you a speedy recovery  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hippiejo74
Life, liberty and the pursuit of craftiness.

Gotta go - kids chewed thru their straps...

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2008 04:20:08 PM »

Grin That is just awesome!! I hope you get to get rid of it sometime soon.... Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come check out my etsy shop - vintage, eco-friendly and all kinds of crafty goodness Smiley
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5029774

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud."
1 Cor. 13:4
colarific
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2008 05:01:03 PM »

Well I think there needs to be a "necessity is the mother of invention" challenge. This would definitely fit the bill!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
camilaustral

Saludos desde Chile!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2008 06:39:37 PM »

very creative Wink
and i think it would work perfect for a hot water bag? i don't know how do yoyu call them in english Tongue
in Chile we say "guatero", and they have the same shape as your bag
maybe you could share a little pattern or tut.

i wish you a speedy speed recovery Wink

THIS ROCKS   Logged

FluffyMonkey

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2008 07:11:19 PM »

Thanks for the well wishes! I'll be getting put back together sometime late in May or early June. I see my surgeon tomorrow for tests to find out when for sure.

very creative Wink
and i think it would work perfect for a hot water bag? i don't know how do yoyu call them in english Tongue
in Chile we say "guatero", and they have the same shape as your bag
maybe you could share a little pattern or tut.

i wish you a speedy speed recovery Wink

Actually, when I was trying to figure out how to make this, I started by looking through the cozy/cover pages on knittingpatterncent ral.com. There are a whole bunch of hot water bottle cozy patterns on there. My ostomy bag cover looks similar, but it has a hole on the back which corresponds to the hole in the ostomy bag in the picture. Also, I don't think a hot water bottle would fit in my bag cover because the hole in the ... I guess you could call it the neck of the cover is too small. You'd need buttons or something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Yaldah Tovah

camilaustral

Saludos desde Chile!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2008 08:04:20 PM »

great thanks!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BrookOwens
crafts made with love and lots of cussing...

I never knew why kid! I NEVER KNEW!!!

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2008 08:10:25 PM »

Thats a good idea. My friend got blown up in Iraq and he had to have one of these for 6 months... I highly doubt he would ever wear one though... Hes just a guy though... but i think its cute! and a good way to make something not so pleasant, cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://brookowens.etsy.com

http://brookowens.blogspot.com/

http://twitter.com/brookowens

If you live in So. California (LA,OC,SD) message me... I want to put a little craft group together!!!
nataluna
living in the "before" picture...

strange is not a crime

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2008 06:19:29 AM »

one could be sewn out of soft cotton camouflage material.  or maybe a grey t-shirt.  i bet a guy could use that.  guys like comfort, too...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

creative criticism always appreciated!
my swaps and crafts
joriwill
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2008 09:33:33 AM »

My mom had her perm. illie twenty plus years ago.  She had these covers in every color and pattern of fabric she could get.  Mom would even match them  to the outfit.  She liked them because the plastic against her skin would make her sweat esp. during the summer.  All of her were sewn.  I have never seen a knitted one.  Good Job.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FluffyMonkey

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2008 11:04:00 PM »

My mom had her perm. illie twenty plus years ago.  She had these covers in every color and pattern of fabric she could get.  Mom would even match them  to the outfit.  She liked them because the plastic against her skin would make her sweat esp. during the summer.  All of her were sewn.  I have never seen a knitted one.  Good Job.  

Very cool. Did she make them herself or could you buy them somewhere? I wish someone had told me about them... I went through four and a half months without one before I finally bothered to make it, and now I only have about a month left!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Yaldah Tovah

mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2008 12:36:22 PM »

that totally rocks...

by the way, I didn't dfollow your advice. I looked on google images... good luck with your recovery!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Meggs

Laugh Everyday.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2008 10:14:24 AM »

Good on you for making the best of the situation.  It looks comfy.  Best wishes.
Megs
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amymarie
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2008 02:11:07 PM »

That's fantastic!

I'll have to ask my niece what she thinks of it (she's 11 and has always had a bag). She has... very definite preferences, when it comes to certain things, so I better not race ahead without permission. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FluffyMonkey

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2008 07:51:37 PM »

Thanks, every one!

She has... very definite preferences, when it comes to certain things, so I better not race ahead without permission. Wink

I know what you mean. My husband is extremely picky when it comes to clothes. Even when he specifically asked for something knitted (a black skully), he still never wore it.

Now, the bag cover does have a few flaws that I intend to correct even though I have only 20 days left (yay!), so let me know if you do intend to make one. I'll be happy to give you my notes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Yaldah Tovah

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Style Council Ellie’s Top Beach Picks!
What To Wear: Summer Fashion For Kids That Can Transition Into Fall
Up-Close: Chanel Couture 2013 Collection
Three Adorable Summer Looks From Style Council Carly!
Meet 2013 Style Council Member Tonya
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...