A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 304,766
Currently Running With Scissors:
491 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Banana Republic purse  (Read 791 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lolspeak
« on: May 04, 2008 12:05:29 PM »

Does anybody know of a pattern for a bag similar to this one ?:
http://www.bananarepublic.com/browse/product.do?cid=32966&pid=565909

I've looked at McCalls, Butterick, Vogue, and Simplicity and tons of places online but I can't seem to find a similar one.  Does anybody know of a pattern or tutorial for a purse that is similar to it?  I would try to make my own pattern, but every time i do that, it turns out nothing like i planned. Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DivastarMirna
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008 04:27:59 PM »

wow, the bag is cute. it's hard to find a similar pattern, but i'll search 4 it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

♥Mirna♥
threegirlsandaboy
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008 11:48:37 AM »

Well, it looks like a pretty simple a-line purse.  The vinyl/leather/whatever that is around the sides and top really make it look more complicated than it probably is.  I say probably because I haven't tried it myself.   Smiley  You could make a simple Jordy purse with the shape of the one you like.  Just cut the top narrower than the bottom.  Box the corners like in the Jordy tutorial and you're ready for the details.  If you can find some trim like that pictured, you could probably just sew it around your seam line for the sides and bottom.  Do the same around the top.  The handles would have to be sewn on to the front and back before you sew the whole purse together.   Make sure to use a pretty strong interfacing on both your outside and lining fabrics.  I usually use "craft fuse," but there are other choices out there. 
I don't know whether I've helped or not, but I'm throwing my ideas out there anyway.   Smiley Please let us know what you come up with.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewpink
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008 08:26:29 AM »

As I was looking through my del.icio.us bookmarks this morning I came across a pattern I had bookmarked and totally thought of this thread. I think this pattern would work great for recreating this purse!

http://machenmachen.files.wordpress.com/2007/08/machen-machen-wasp-bag.pdf

You could make some really simple alterations to it - like the handles.

Let me know what you think! I'm trying to figure out what fabric I'm going to use for this pattern right now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hat-and-bag-lady

Too lazy 2 work, too honest 2 steal, jst rt to sew

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008 02:56:26 PM »

Vogue Patterns has a pattern like that in their accessories patterns. V8439 is closest, I think. For your basic Tote and an Organizer: V8376. Ebay has probably several bag patterns available if you want.  Plus, here on Craftster there are many Tutorials that can be used to make something like that.
The main thing that many people don't seem to realize is that there are maybe 5 different types of bags. Totes, hobos, slings, duffels, and suitcases/messengers. The differences in all of them, from the $5,000+ ones (check out The Bag Lady [not me] on Google: she has reviews of bags like that) to the 99-cent ones is the details. If you have your basic Tote (Or on Craftster: "The Jordy Bag") and use 1" rings to attach the handles, and put many pockets on the inside, and add a button or a button-Tab to the top. you have a designer bag. If you use a basic Hobo Pattern and jazz up the exterior, you have a designer bag the best part is, unless you make one for someone else, the one you have is exclusive to you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A.T. Morel
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Style Long Hair with Mogi Hair Education
Tapered Hair Cut Tutorial
How to Get a Khloe Kardashian Wedding Hairstyle
How to Wash a Full Lace Wig
How to Create Fun New Hair Styles
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...