A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 304,766
Currently Running With Scissors:
521 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Jiffy Beach Cover-Up made from a Old Towel  (Read 5956 times)
Tags for this thread: towel , beach , flower , ribbed , used , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lancmaltby
Vintage collector and crafter!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: May 04, 2008 10:53:13 AM »

The Hug-Me-Tight Jacket with Flower Corsage

Do you have an old towel just setting about and don't know what to do with it. Turn it into this cute little jacket that you can wear over a bathing suit at the pool or beach. The Hug-Me-Tight Jacket is great against a sudden chill or too much sun on the back and shoulders. I even added a flower corsage made out of the left over towel to give it a vintage look.

For a bright touch, you might line the jacket with a happy summertime print.

I made a pattern to help out with the project.

Just print - cut out and follow the simple and easy instructions - If you have any questions please let me know.Jacket was cut from pattern *cut 2 - sleeve seams indicated by X and Y  were joined together at the dotted line and center
back were stitched prevent fraying. All outside edges can be finished by matching bias tape, then turn under and hemmed.

Sizes - Adjust to fit your size. Here is a possible set of measurements you can use.
Small
enlarge pattern so center back measures 15"
Medium
enlarge pattern so center back measures 17"
Large
enlarge pattern so center back measures 20"

Give me your feedback - this is one of many more sewing projects that I am going to create. Have fun turning a old or used towel into a ready to wear jacket for fun in the sun - Thanks so much.
Tissuepaper

Here is how I made the flower - It was so easy that I didn't even use a pattern - free form cutting. It took about 5 minutes to make the flower.  I cut out 5 circles ranging in different sizes - I think the biggest circle is about the size of a tea cup saucer. Once you have all of your circles cut out - just cut a basic daisy - kindergarden flower shape - don't make them all the same so that way you will have different ones. Once you have all of them cut out to look like a daisy - put all the flower shape on top of each other starting with the biggest and then ending with the smallest. Then I just sewed with needle and thread in the center of all the shapes and pulled tightly to get the layers to pucker around each other and then tied the knot off on the back. The leaves were free formed cut also and I just sewed them to the back. It was very easy to make - I hope this helps

Thanks so much for all of the comments - I had so much fun coming up with the pattern - you are all awesome!!!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008 08:56:04 AM by jungrrl - Reason: edited to comply with Craftster guidelines. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

MaryQcumberfairy
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008 11:17:41 AM »

Great job! I really like this jacket and I'd like to make one. Unfortunately, the picture of the pattern isn't showing up.  Maybe It's just this computer, but if you could check and see if there is a problem that would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
norahkate
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008 11:36:20 AM »

that's really really cute!  what a fun idea...and i just got a 30 gal garbage bag full of towels...some in some very um...retro, i'd say...prints.  thank you so much for sharing your pattern!  oh, and i love love love that flower you made!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will swap for baby food jars (or other small jars with lids)
thriftygoddess
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008 11:36:54 AM »

This is so cute!! i love it!
but the picture isnt showing up for me either and i would love to see the pattern so i can make one for myself! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spicecarrie
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2008 11:49:47 AM »

I love this!! I can't see the pattern either, and I really want to try this one out!!  Thanks for the pattern in advance, it's so cute!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lancmaltby
Vintage collector and crafter!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2008 12:13:45 PM »

Sorry about the pattern - I went back in a put in a new one! I hope this one is better!!
Thanks so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

veggie head 4 life

Chickpeas & peanut butter will feed the world!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2008 12:42:33 PM »

wow thank you so much for sharing! i can't wait to try this.......{planning a trip to the copy shop... Grin}
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dance through your days........

my fabric-tastic blog
http://agreenbanana.blogspot.com/

Let's be friends!!
http://www.myspace.com/greeeengoooodness
MaryQcumberfairy
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2008 01:29:43 PM »

Yay, I can see the pattern now! Thanks! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kiewiet
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2008 06:33:19 AM »

this is so cute! I want one in every color! Thank you for sharing Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tickleagangster
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2008 04:57:26 PM »

That's really pretty! I want to make one as well out of a retro towel! Do you mind explaining how you make the corsage too? The flower really makes the jacket. Thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Say hello to my lil' friend!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Master Leggings in 3 Looks
How to Wear Sequins Like a Boss
How to Look White Hot in White Denim
Trend Report - Prints
DIY Cut-Out T-Shirt
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...