A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,116
Currently Running With Scissors:
414 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My attempt at a Cheytown -- learned a few things!  (Read 1845 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

argwwo
« on: May 03, 2008 09:18:37 PM »

OK, so this is the dress that brought me to Craftster, so I've been dying to try it.

I bought this ugly shirt at a thrift store for $2:

And now it looks like this:

Next time I will select my starter shirt more carefully: the seam attaching the yoke to the body of the shirt is puckered, so it was a little hard to shape the bodice and attach the front of the dress to the back without it going all wonky. Also, the shirt turned out to be a lot dingier than it seemed inside the store. Though, since my daughter is sure to stain it with chocolate milk and/or paint the first time she wears it, how much does that matter?

The fabric was surprisingly heavy considering it was obviously a summer shirt. It seems to stick straight out. It is my inclination to rip out the side seams and re-cut it, but my daughter said, "Thank you for making me this beautiful dress, Mommy,"  Smiley and then refused to take it off until bedtime. Chances of me wrestling it away from her to rework it anytime soon are slim-to-none.

I decided to forego the fluttery sleeves and trim on bodice and hem since the pattern was so busy, so I took Cheytown's suggestion of making little arm holes (do you call them that when the dress is sleeveless?). I cheesed out and made them straight instead of curvy, but I think it works.

Thoughts/suggestions on how to improve greatly appreciated, as this is only the second piece of clothing I've ever completed!

Thanks,
Angela
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sactownsue
The world is a circle...

MrMiagi '01 - aka rascal - We miss you MissDaisy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008 09:32:12 PM »

You did great! I love it!
For a dress for someone her age the arms eye/hole doesn't really matter. For an adult one would usually use same fabric facing. I like the a-line. For her age you could put some elastic or leave it a little looser for growth along the top back. Maybe cut the back a little lower at top and cross the straps. Or button the straps. Or grip snaps. Even with all the sewing I've done I still dread buttonholes. If I had one of the newer machines it might be easier.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008 03:16:37 PM by sactownsue - Reason: correct terminology » THIS ROCKS   Logged

MAKE: something of yourself
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
"Everything is deeply intertwingled." - Ted Nelson, ca 1974
wists-fulness - http://wists.com/SacTownSue/

Rarely online these days. Will respond to PM when I notice them. AT&T SNAFU!
norahkate
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008 09:38:18 PM »

ooh, i really like what you did with the armholes!  combine how cute it turned out with the fact that i hate (i mean really really hate) bias tape...it's perfect Wink
and i love the look on her face in that picture - what a cutie patootie!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will swap for baby food jars (or other small jars with lids)
Rorbot
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008 09:50:42 PM »

that is so cute...so so cute. Man i wish one of my boys were a girl, lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shootingstar
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2008 10:55:43 PM »

Beautiful dress (and kiddo, too!)  Is my child the only one who will never stand still long enough to get pictures of all the details?  Congrats on a dress well done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lord, show me your ways. Teach me how to follow you.  Guide me in your truth. Teach me. You are God my Savior.  I put my hope in you all day long.
-Psalm 25:4-5

PM me if you want to swap!  I need some stitch markers...

Finally got one...
http://www.wists.com/shootingstar320
QuiltersBlock

She's the model for the :D emoticon

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2008 08:40:32 AM »

Great dress! I love what you've done with the armholes.

QB
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Under any other circumstances, an exuberant Roman soldier would be my idea of a perfect morning." -- Capt. Jack Harkness

Personal swaps? Absolutely!
photomommy

Sewing for my beautiful baby ballerina!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2008 02:47:22 PM »

Great summer dress!  Good job!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gwendolyn--Mommy to 3 active boys and a sweet baby girl!
grenouille78
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2008 03:34:41 PM »

You did well! I like that you took the time to topstitch it. Nice touch. And you know you did something right if dd won't take it off! Wink For two bucks, she has a great play dress and you've got that much more experience for the next one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

miss_jms
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2008 10:17:15 AM »

I have to say, you did a magnificent job for this only being your second!!  It's amazing!  Did you use a twin needle for stitching?  Also, did you use elastic for the straps?  I love the way they look.  And oh, well, if she loves it, who cares, right?  LOL  I adore it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

argwwo
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2008 02:06:35 PM »

Did you use a twin needle for stitching?  Also, did you use elastic for the straps? 

I didn't use a twin needle, but I certainly should have. (For some reason I haven't been brave enough to try.) The top stitches look neat and perfectly even in that picture, but they are a little wonky in some other spots!

And, yes, the straps are elastic. I made a the casing just big enough to fit the elastic so it would be gathered. Right now it's so big on her that it's purely decorative. Let's see if she keeps it stain free long enough to grow into it ... unlikley  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Creative Letter packaging Ideas
Wanda Wen Gift Wrapping Advice
Birthday Mini Album with Acrylic Cover
How to Warm Dry Polymer Clay
How to Wrap and Reduce a Butterfly Polymer Clay Cane
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...