A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 305,735
Currently Running With Scissors:
643 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Parts of speech puzzles  (Read 3965 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Redforkhippie
Red Fork Hippie Chick

Prone to creative outbursts.

View Profile
« on: July 28, 2009 08:15:56 AM »

More preparations for the start of school: This is a little game to help the kids review their parts of speech. I started with some precut jigsaw puzzles and some markers, colored pencils, and an extra-fine-point Sharpie.

On the flat side of each puzzle, I used markers and colored pencils to write the name of a particular part of speech ("adverbs" or whatever). On the glossy side, I used the Sharpie to write an example of that part of speech on each individual puzzle piece.

Here we have prepositions, pronouns, and interjections. (Walter the kitten is not part of the lesson plan; he just doesn't trust me to do anything right without feline supervision.)

I found a set of cheap nesting boxes at the craft store a couple of months ago and bought them with a sense of blind faith that they would be useful for something. The biggest one accommodated my puzzle collection quite nicely. I labeled it so I wouldn't forget what was in it:

And your free grammar lesson for today: Remember when your fifth-grade teacher told you a preposition is "anywhere a cat can go"? Walter helpfully demonstrated that by jumping ONTO the coffee table, climbing INTO the box, walking IN FRONT OF the camera, wandering ACROSS the table, and stepping ON all the puzzles while I was trying to take the picture:

When the kids come in, all the pieces will be mixed up together in the box. I'll hand each student a few pieces, and then they'll have to work together to sort the pieces and solve the puzzles. (The colorful labels on the back are so they can match up the pieces and work the puzzles once they've sorted them.) The idea is just to get the kids up and moving around the classroom and thinking a little bit.

If any other teachers are interested, you can get the puzzles for 50 cents apiece at Hobby Lobby and Mardel. They have bigger ones with more pieces, too. I could see this same basic project being useful in a lot of different disciplines -- maybe verb conjugation in foreign language classes, geographic locations or names of historically significant figures in a social studies class, elements and their symbols in a chemistry class, algebra problems and solutions in a math class, etc.

I didn't get too fancy with the image on the back, because I didn't want to invest a lot of time in something with a lot of small pieces that are easily stolen or damaged, but if it goes over well and the kids don't mess it up, I might do a new set next year with Schoolhouse Rock characters on them.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We are all capable of more than we do."
-- Mary Baker Eddy

http://redforkhippie.wordpress.com
fabricfriend
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009 08:31:43 AM »

i am a music teacher and i think i can get this to work in my classroom. notes,rests,terms etc... thanks for the idea Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amalgam
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009 09:13:24 AM »

Hooray for the Schoolhouse Rock references! Although I wonder how many kids these days know/like them. Either way, this is super cool project. I've been trying to teach myself Japanese for some time now. Maybe some games like this would help. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009 09:54:53 AM »

Oooo.  I can see this working in many different applications.  I'm going to borrow on your idea.  Great job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Redforkhippie
Red Fork Hippie Chick

Prone to creative outbursts.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009 09:34:48 PM »

The Schoolhouse Rock references were for my own amusement. My kids are too young to remember them. Somebody must have been selling Conjunction Junction T-shirts a couple of years ago, because I saw kids wearing them at the mall.

Out of the 150 students I taught last year, I could name six who would probably get -- and appreciate -- a reference to Schoolhouse Rock. Four of them will probably grow up to be either A.) indie record store owners, B.) indie bookstore owners, or C.) herb farmers. The other two will teach either English or social studies.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We are all capable of more than we do."
-- Mary Baker Eddy

http://redforkhippie.wordpress.com
heathereff
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009 01:06:21 PM »

This is awesome! I've seen a few of your other classroom crafts, and they are just as amazing. I start student teaching in two weeks, and you have given me some inspiration! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TroubleT
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

No try, just do.

I'm the Irish Latina Ninja!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009 08:12:52 PM »

Those look great redforkhippie! I'm a high school Spanish teacher and I do vocab. puzzles similar to yours, even my Seniors fuss when I don't let them work puzzles from time to time. I have a set per unit for my 4th year class and they make a wonderful review for final exams. We do races with small prizes for the top 3 that finish first. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Whitney Port Shares Her Hair Secrets
Ponytail 2008 Spring Trend
Jason Wu Hairstyle Trend - Fall 2009 Hairstyle
How to Style a Chic Ponytails
Short Hair Spring Trends
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Sherlock Matchbox
@Home This Weekend: Bottlecap Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...