A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 312,063
Currently Running With Scissors:
711 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: tumble dryer fluff/lint?  (Read 4095 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists

will work for yarn

View Profile
« on: May 03, 2008 04:56:46 AM »

Can the fluff from a tumble dryer be felted in the same way as wool fibres (wet felt)?!
I'm very into experimentation so if nobody can give me a yes or no, I'll just go ahead and experiment and get back to ya.  Smiley
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008 06:23:09 AM by mrsflibble » THIS ROCKS   Logged
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008 11:09:22 AM »

Dryer lint with a bit of wax makes a great fire starter.  I wouldn't use it in felting.

All I wish is that my side of the story may be told. Kintpuash of the Modoc tribe, 1873

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008 03:49:16 PM »

You know, I've often wondered what that stuff could be used in.  Well, my hope is you do go with the experiment.  I want to see the results.  Of course, let me warn you that many fabrics we wear are processed in formaldehyde.  The stuff that dryer sheets are soaked in is also in many ways very harmful to us.  Don't use them if you can help it.  But, back to the fluff.  Please let me in on your ideas!  I have wondered at using it in paper-making.
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008 09:53:30 AM »

I once saw a project in a children's craft book to make flower pots out of lint. Now I can't remember where I saw it, or the process they used. I do know dryer lint can be used in a process like paper making.

I think the problem with felting lint would be that synthetics and cotton do not felt. So unless you are drying loads of sweaters.. which would probably cause most of them to shrink.. I don't think it would work like wool. Maybe if you were able to stabilize the process with some sort of screen (like the process of paper making) it might work.

Let us know how it goes if you do try it out!

Love, doyouloveanapple

New items added to my Etsy!

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008 10:52:46 AM »

Well this got me thinking, so I did a little research.

What I was remembering is apparently dryer lint clay (http://www.trainingwheels4ece.com/art/lintart.htm)

New items added to my Etsy!

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008 04:46:33 PM »

Almost all of your dryer lint is cotton fibers.  Cotton can be CAREFULLY needle-felted to a wool base, assuming the fibers are long enough, but lint fibers are way too short.

However, you can use it as a core for 3-D needle-felted stuff.  (say you're making a large ball and don't want to have to use three pounds of good wool for the center... you can use lint or other scrap fabric to make the core-- just make sure it's completely covered with roving).

Don't use lint to stuff anything you mean to wash.  It will squash up into a nasty hard wet mess and will never fluff back up properly.

Makes a pretty decent modeling substrate when combined with a smooth flour paste or white glue.  You'll need to seal the finished piece pretty thoroughly if there's any chance it'll get wet, though.
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009 04:06:10 AM »

i've been doing a little bit of experimentation and found that cotton wool doesn't work (not sure if everyone knew this or not) but i like the idea of playing around with other fibres finding out what does and doesn't work. let us know if you find any good materials Smiley
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009 07:18:17 PM »

In girl scouts the girls took dryer lint and put them with raffia in the bags oranges come in.  Hung them outside in the spring to help the little birdies build their nests. 
But this board is called CRAFTSTER, so I remembered a piece of artwork in Ripley's Believe it or not made of lint. 

Google dryer lint art -- it's amazing!  Here's one to check out:

Looking for your extra inventory for a silent auction to help my sister.  See my post in "crafting for good..."
Jane Doe
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009 09:36:02 PM »

, but lint fibers are way too short.

That was my first thought too.
For both wet felting and needle-felting, I can't see lint working.
I like the paper-making idea better

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009 04:05:50 AM »

I wouldn't think you could felt it since the fiber legnths may be too short and that's why it broke off from the anchored source. Could be fun to try and let us know what you find.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Royal Sunrise Pattern Part 1/8
How to Crochet a Royal Sunrise Pattern Part 2/8
How to Crochet a Raised Ridge Chevron Part 2/5
How to Crochet a Raised Ridge Chevron Part 5/5
How to Crochet a Royal Sunrise Pattern Part 3/8
Latest Blog Articles
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Spooky Halloween Decorations
Craft Challenge #110 Announced - Halloween Costume Contest!
Tute Tuesday: Witch Hat Fascinator

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...