A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,202
Currently Running With Scissors:
542 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Women's t-shirt to little girls play dress  (Read 2062 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , dress , reconstructed  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jezebel_1982
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: May 02, 2008 05:51:18 PM »

So, my SIL has a habit of losing things. Any mom can identify with the "mommy-brain" I'm sure....I know I can. She has managed to misplace the only hat that fits my niece's giant head, however, and asked me to whip one up for her.
I went rummaging through my bins of fabric, and found this shirt that was bought for me, but I never wore. I decided that it was the perfect shade of pink to make into a little hat for her, and pulled it. Then I thought, "hey, why not turn this into a cute summer dress, too?"
So I sat down and got right to it, since my son was napping blissfully in his swing!

How did I do it, you might ask? Well, even if you don't, I'm going to show you, because I actually remembered to take pictures while I worked Tongue

~~~~~~~~~~
Mini-tute
~~~~~~~~~~
First, start with a cropped women's fitted t-shirt and a sizing reference. Since this was a surprise, I grabbed a pair of 18 month overalls that won't fit my son for ages.
Lay them out overtop of the t-shirt and trace the top of the overalls like so:

Continue the line outwards, in an a-line to the edge of the t-shirt, and cut out front and back. You will end up with something like this:

Pin the sides together, and trim the excess off the bottom of the shirt at the desired length. I was making this to be worn with a diaper shirt underneath, and short enough to crawl in without getting caught.

Then, take your cap sleeves (or whatever type were on your shirt) and trim off the edges on a slight angle, like this:

Don't forget to cut the seam off the bottom so they are no longer a round tube!

Sew the side seams together, leaving armholes. Take the edges of the sleeves that you trimmed off, and pin with small pleats to the tops of the armholes that you have left, like this:

Sew them flat, and finish the bottom edges of your armholes as well. I left mine larger than is necessary for a baby, knowing that my neice likes to fuss while getting dressed, so this will be an easy on and off for my SIL.

Finally, finish the bottom edge in whatever manner you choose. This was made out of a super-stretchy jersey, so I just left it and pulled on the fabric across the ends to make it roll.

Ta-da! You have now finished a beautiful little sundress!

It only took me about half an hour, and my sewing machine kept crapping out in the process. And as an added bonus (this was pointed out to me later) as she grows up a bit, this can become a shirt, since I did leave the armholes and neckhole rather large.

Enjoy!
~~~~~~~~

Criticism welcome, I'd love to know how to improve on this, since my SIL loved it and wants more.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
nataluna
living in the "before" picture...

strange is not a crime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008 05:57:29 PM »

maybe you could fill in the bottom of the armholes, so it doesn't flop to the sides and uncover her front?  although a baby won't care...

really cute, and do we get to see the hat?  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

creative criticism always appreciated!
my swaps and crafts
jezebel_1982
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008 06:02:53 PM »

haha! funny storry there...my sewing macing gave up when I was working on the hat (just a tube-style kitty-eared one that there is a tute for somewhere here on craftster)
So, I have to go get the timing fixed again before I can fnish it, or do any other sewing projects Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pink_ink82
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008 06:04:05 PM »

Thats cute jez
THIS ROCKS   Logged

have twins, need coffee
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Author Martin Lindstrom on Brand Sense
Mickey Rapkin Talks About His Book Theater Geek
Former Gladiator Dan Clark Discusses His Memoir
Interview with Painter Hugues de Montalembert
Sweater Quest by Adrienne Martini
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...