A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 300,901
Currently Running With Scissors:
441 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Vogue Stitchionary vs. Harmony Guides?  (Read 770 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

peps

Knits with Cat.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: April 02, 2008 10:11:13 AM »

I'm thinking about investing in a stitch dictionary set and I'm curious if anyone has an opinion on which is better: the Vogue Stitchionary series or the Harmony Guides?  Both claim to be the definitive stitch dictionary...

The cost difference is only about $4, so that's not a big factor.  I guess what I'm interested in are opinions about readability and variety/usefulness of the stitch patterns.  (Usefulness: I don't really need a whole bunch of crazy elaborate stitch patterns I will probably never use, but I'd like to have more patterns that I can get in my general knitting reference books and on freebie sites online.)

In terms of knitting magazines, I prefer Interweave Knits to Vogue, but I don't know if this makes much of a difference here.  Maybe it does?

All insight is much appreciated!

Also, does anyone have an opinion on investing in a set vs. just buying a single all-in-one stitchionary?

What I'd use it for: I don't really design a lot of my own patterns but I like to swatch out different stitches just to learn something new and hone my skills, maybe make a scarf or pillow and test out a new yarn.  But who knows what the future holds?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my etsy
my knitting blog
my ravelry
Any B or C liners in the Boston area up for a knitting circle?  PM me.
Teresa_T
Without Cats I'm Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008 11:07:06 AM »

I don't have any of the Vogue books but I love the Harmony Guides. I have two in knitting:

450 Knitting Stitches

440 More Knitting Stitches

I can't say one would be better than the other. And I have yet to knit anything from either of these books. I have, as usual, enjoyed looking through them. I have made things out of the Harmony Guides for crochet and have been very pleased with that crochet book. It's my favorite in fact.

Not sure if this helped.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
megziewoodles

Yes. I knitted a webcomic.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008 05:55:09 AM »

I have the Harmony Guide to Knitting Stitches (1983) and I love it.

I've never even seen one of the Vogue ones.

I like my harmony guide because it has all of the instructions written down, rather than as charts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
peps

Knits with Cat.

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2008 05:48:50 PM »

Thanks for the feedback!  I'm still completely undecided.  Maybe I'll just have to spend a good long time at the bookstore looking at every single page of all the books... ha ha.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my etsy
my knitting blog
my ravelry
soozeq
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008 07:01:30 PM »

See if your library has one or the other, or can request them on loan.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
elkaro
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008 09:08:20 AM »

This is not the exact answer you are looking for but I have another stitchionary suggestion -- I really like "Beautiful Knitting Patterns" by Gisela Klopper -- http://www.amazon.com/Beautiful-Knitting-Patterns-Gisela-Klopper/dp/1402722265

It's a beautiful book, and the stitch patterns are interesting.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
peps

Knits with Cat.

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008 06:56:41 AM »

Thanks for that recommendation elkaro!  That looks like a good "beginner" book for me to maybe see how often I actually use a stitch guide.

I'll also check out the library.  For some reason the Boston library system really sucks, you wouldn't think so, but it does.  So who knows if they will actually have it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my etsy
my knitting blog
my ravelry
Mojen

What perfume am I wearing? It's called Febreze.

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008 04:50:13 AM »

Just to add to your undecidedness, I have the 3 Vogue books and I LOVE them!

They're not small, I went out and bought a book stand for them in fact, but they're very clear (and pretty!) and once I had the 1st one I knew I had to have all 3!

I'd be happy to take a picture of a page for you if that'd help?  So you can judge the layout etc (too out of focus for copyright to be an issue, obv  Roll Eyes)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

saradarling
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2008 03:08:52 PM »

One thing you may want to consider is whether you prefer working from charts or written instructions.  I'm not too familiar from the Harmony Guides but I have the first three Vogue Stitchionaries and quite like them; they use written instructions instead of charts. 

The Vogue books are not comprehensive by any stretch of the imagination (for that, investing in the Barbara Walker stitch dictionaries is probably the way to go) but they do have a very nice selection of stitches, many simple and a few quite complex ones if you're feeling ambitions. 

The swatches in the book are very well photographed and the instructions are simple and easy to read.  I've never had any trouble understanding the instructions or replicating the pattern shown in the book.

I've used the books for adding patterns to scarves and socks and the like and been very pleased at the ease of use and the end product.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
diykitten
Tina

I craft, therefore I am.

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008 12:51:52 AM »

I have the Harmony Guides: 250 Stitches to Knit and Purl, 250 Lace and Eyelet Stitches.  They are fantastic and very easy to read.  I prefer them to the Vogue Stitchionaries.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Peachpit TV: Photoshop CS3 - Happy Little Tree
Peachpit TV: Photoshop CS3 - Make It Rain
How a Pixel Gets its Color - Bayer Sensor
Overlay Adjustment layer in Photoshop
How to Edit a Composite Image
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...