A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: It's time to vote for your favorite swapped project! Smiley  Vote now through Sunday, August 30th!
Total Members: 311,389
Currently Running With Scissors:
768 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: going to make the flower power sweater  (Read 3752 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

socomfyhere
« on: January 31, 2005 01:00:33 PM »

...but I have a few questions

I am going to make this sweater a little differently to suit my taste and budget, so I will be using Lion Brand yarn instead of what is recommended.  The problem is that I haven't really followed a pattern before so I'm not that clear on what yarns make good sweaters.  I am trying to decide between Wool Ease worsted (20% wool, 80% acrylic) and Cotton Ease (50/50 cotton + acrylic)

I am just looking for some input from y'all at Craftster as to which would make a better sweater (aka minimal pilling, lots of shape retention, ease of washing, etc.)

Thanks in advance!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Katydid
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2005 05:52:27 AM »

I have not made a sweater (yet), but I can tell you from wearing sweaters that I hate cotton.  It's too heavy for my taste - not in thickness, but actual weight.  Also, I don't think you can't block cotton.

Personally, I'd go with the wool blend.

Good luck!  That sweater is adorable, and definitely on my list.

Come back with pics,
Kate
THIS ROCKS   Logged
debacle
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2005 06:35:22 AM »

I also think you'd be best off with the wool blend, although this yarn does (in my experience) have a tendancy to pil. But the cotton may be too drapy for a shaped sweater like this. You're going to have to invest in some 100% wool for the flowers and leaves, however, because anything less will not felt. another option, i suppose,would be to knit the flowers and leaves from the head huggers pattern and sew those onto the sweater instead (in a slightly different configuration).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
socomfyhere
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2005 11:47:05 AM »

Thanks for the help!

Man, debacle, you must be psychic or something because that was exactly what I am planning to do! (the head hugger flowers).  I am also going to pretend that I am making the flowers but then start stockinette for a scalloped edge:
     vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
     vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
     vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
     \ /  \ /  \ /  \ /  \ /
I know that may not make sense, but once I make it (in wool ease!) I will post pics so y'all can see what I am talking about.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2005 11:48:40 AM by socomfyhere » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Duckie

Fifty-seven academics just punched the air.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2005 04:31:47 PM »

I'm making this too (I've finished the back and one sleeve and started the front). I subbed in different yarn and changed the pattern around with all the tricky math in the first part of the book. I'm not using Lion Brand, but I am using a 20/80 wool/acrylic blend ($22 each for a HUGE ball. I bought two but I'm more than half done and I think I'm not even going to touch the second ball). I live in Canada, and except for Noro and Lion Brand and Paton's, I can hardly ever find anything in my LYS (two independent, one Wal-Mart and one Lewiscraft) that the patterns call for, so I'm really glad to see those instructions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Treasure Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2005 07:04:08 AM »

I'm knitting this too!  I'm finished the front, back and one sleeve.  Hopefully I'll get the second sleeve done in a week or so.  I'm using an acrylic yarn because unfortunately I can't wear wool Sad
I'll post some pics when I get it done.  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
booglass
Coin Operated Crafter

I made a hell of a lot of crafts to get here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2005 12:07:15 PM »

Non-sweater related comment..............I love the festive cat pic. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Treasure Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2005 12:49:08 PM »

So I finished this sweater the other day and it DID NOT turn out at all Sad

It sucks because it took me about 2 months to make.  I don't know what happened, but it's about the right size for an orangutan... the sleeves are really long and the body is huge and short.  I substitued yarn and it was my first sweater, so I learned a lesson... I'm going to be very careful if I substitute yarn again!   Luckily I got all the yarn for $3.99 at VV so it wasn't a huge loss.  Anyway, I can't wait to see how everybody else's turn out Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
booglass
Coin Operated Crafter

I made a hell of a lot of crafts to get here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2005 12:51:11 PM »

Did you swatch the sub yarn first?  I always worry that even with a swatch as I go about knitting that the change in tension will cause problems.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Treasure Cat
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2005 07:57:02 PM »

I knit a small swatch and it was a little bit off on measurements.  I didn't think it was a big deal, but the small difference in the swatch made a big difference in my sweater.  I will be much more careful next time!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
I Wish I Had a Pet
Meet the Post: Q&A with WorldViews Bloggers
Break the Cycle and Never Go Back
What Does the Second Amendment Actually Mean?
Dr. Henry Cloud Offers the Key to Success to Continually Move Forward
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Paint Cans
August 26, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Flannel Hoodie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...