A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 306,352
Currently Running With Scissors:
451 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Captain Jack Sparrow Costume  (Read 1818 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fluffypants
« on: April 30, 2008 08:59:52 PM »

Okay, first off, I'm not a big fan of the PotC movies- but seeing Johnny Depp's costume- well- I had to attempt it! I did this for Halloween 2007, I'm still working on it bit by bit. I got a compass tonight, I'm hoping to make a coat and hat for the next time I use it. Smiley
One of the big tips I found on many websites was to 'dirty up' the clothes, but I couldn't bear to rub dirt all over my brand new pirate shirt and boots after they'd cost me $25 each. Hehe.

I only got one decent pic (which unfortunately doesn't show off the boots I made Sad )

Let's see here, I'll have a brief little breakdown of what I made and what I bought.

Bought:
Renaissance shirt
Men's pants

Made:
Boots: from a pair of black square toed dress shoes, covered in ultrasuede, and made into about knee-high boots
Sash: from a pillowcase, painted stripes with acrylic
Belts: bought belts, made buckles from Sculpey (night before Halloween, haha). I hung some things from the belt like Captain Jack had in the movie; some little furs and things.  Didn't have a compass, but I just found one today in a mega blocks playset, hehe!
Bandana: made from pillowcase
Wig/facial hair: Wig was store bought, but I cut, styled, etc. it all myself. 
Beads were also handmade from Sculpey, and the stick was one I found and carved to shape. Facial hair was extra clippings from the wig.
Vest: from men's dress shirt

I think that's it!  If anyone has any tips on a pattern that would be good for a jacket, I'd really appreciate it--- and any tips on making a hat would be awesome!  I found one tutorial, but it would be about $80 to make their hat.... money I don't have... heh...

Any questions/comments greatly appreciated and welcome- I'll post pics of the boots when I get home if anyone's interested!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008 10:17:06 AM by sweets4ever » THIS ROCKS   Logged

missriss

it smells like crafts in here...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008 09:15:02 PM »

wow! that's pretty rad!  i like the sash thing....  but the facial hair is definatly creeping me out!  how did you do it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fluffypants
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008 09:18:56 PM »

wow! that's pretty rad!  i like the sash thing....  but the facial hair is definatly creeping me out!  how did you do it?
Haha, thanks!  It was such a pain in the butt.  I had a little bundle of long clippings from the wig; I made the braids ahead of time, and stuck them on with spirit gum. Then I did the outline of the beard part on my face in spirit gum, bit by bit, and patted on some of the long pieces of hair, and trimmed them to shape.  It was SO itchy; and so painful to take off... and I did it three times... twice in one day.  It left my skin really dry; but the costume wouldn't have been the same without it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

piaochong
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008 10:43:34 PM »

haha thats awesome! i love the fact you did the facial hair, your right, it wouldnt look the same without it!
absoloutly love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mirthgoddess
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008 11:21:58 AM »

Great job! Very good likeness there!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fluffypants
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008 06:54:50 PM »

Thanks folks! I had fun stumbling down the halls tossing candy at people, hehehe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Green.Fuzzer
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008 01:57:45 PM »

I love your outfit. I need to make something similar for my son though I don't think it will be as elaborate, unless he puts in some effort to help.  Smiley Though we can't see your boots I was wondering if you could explain how you did them or give a link or perhaps know how to make spats that would look like the boots?

Thanks. Again Love the outfit.
Tammy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tammy aka Green Fuzzer
fluffypants
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008 02:30:45 PM »

Thanks!

There are some more pics of my costume here:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=255230.0

I used this tutorial for the boots, but it was a lot of work, and it wasn't really easy, nor am I completely happy with the results.  I'd advise getting a pair of boots and just throwing some extra fabric around the top for the folded down part if you can.

http://www.sithcamaro.com/boottut/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Dress for Extreme Heat
3 Creative Outfits for Summer Weddings
3 Ways to Wear Co-Ords
3 Stylish Ways to Wear a Crop Top
How to Wear Basketball Shorts
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...