A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,571
Currently Running With Scissors:
657 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ballband Washcloth--What the eff?!  (Read 562 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thankyoulocust
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« on: April 30, 2008 08:30:58 PM »

So, I'm trying to do this pattern:

http://www.canadianliving.com/crafts/knitting/knit_a_ballband_dishcloth.php

and I'm having a hard time with these 2 rows:

Row 4: K4, yarn forward (yf), slip 1 purlwise, yarn back (yb), *k5, yf, slip 1 purlwise, yb; rep from * to last 4 sts, k4.

Row 5: P4, yb, slip 1 purlwise, yf, *p5, yb, slip 1 purlwise, yf; rep from * to last 4 sts, p4.

I must be missing something really obvious, but how in the crap do you do a "yf" and a "yb"?  I looked on knittinghelp.com and all it says is "yarn forward" and "yarn back", which obviously I could surmise myself.  So, when I do the yf and then slip 1 purlwise, then yb, what exactly am I doing?  Do I bring the yarn forward and go behind it to slip my stitch?  Or bring it forward and then go in front of it to slip my stitch?  Maybe I'm thinking too hard or something.  Any help?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Yeah we don't take orders well.  Unless they're to get on the dance flo'.  Or raise the roof.  Or make some NOIZE...with a Z!"
soozeq
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008 09:00:43 PM »

When you move the yarn to the front, then slip and bring the yarn to the back for the next stitch, it makes a little bar across the stitch you slipped as part of the design. Just move the yarn to the front, and let it lie there, slip the st, and bring it back. Just do what it says instead of thinking and it'll work out alright...   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
thankyoulocust
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008 03:55:46 AM »

See, but if I do this "bring the yarn forward and go behind it to slip my stitch", it makes an extra little bit of yarn next to my stitch.  Almost like a yarn over.  So, there's 2 bits where there would have only been one stitch. 

Whereas, if I do this "bring it forward and then go in front of it to slip my stitch", I don't get the extra bit. 

The extra bit begs the question...what do I do with it when I get to the next row?  Do I knit it with the stitch?  Ignore it?  Knit it instead of the stitch?  Maybe I should take pictures of what I'm doing, I don't know.  All I know is, it canNOT be as difficult as I'm making it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Yeah we don't take orders well.  Unless they're to get on the dance flo'.  Or raise the roof.  Or make some NOIZE...with a Z!"
ThreadOrYarn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008 05:50:01 AM »

Don't bring the yarn OVER the needle - it's not a yarn-over. You're just moving the yarn from the back of the needle to front.

Think of this -
1 -when you knit a stitch the yarn is in the back. when you purl a stitch, the yarn is in the front. (ok?)
2- when you're doing a knit stitch then a purl stitch, you have to move the yarn from the back to the front (ok?).
3- Then when finish the purl stitch and have to knit a stitch, you have to move yarn from the front to the back (ok?)   

The YF is the same 'move the yarn from the back to the front' movement as 2.
The YB is the same 'move the yarn from the front to the back' movement as 3.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

phoebefayre
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008 07:10:25 AM »

Little sister, you are making this way more complicated than it should be. You do the yf (as if to purl) and slip the stitch pwise when you're working on the wrong side. On the right side, you do the yb (as if to knit) and slip the stitch pwise. The point is to have one long slipped stitch without interruption separating the rectangles of variegated. See how long the orange stitch is on mine.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

That IS fresh to death.
El blog
thankyoulocust
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008 07:16:18 AM »

Ok, I guess I'm gonna try again later today.  I already started a different pattern because that one was pissing me off.

P.S.  Tell that dude in your avatar that his tribal is lame. Heehee.

Thanks for your help you guys! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

phoebefayre
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008 08:01:59 AM »

You're going to kick yourself once you realize how easy the pattern is to follow.  Heed the advice of soozeq and don't think, just do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

That IS fresh to death.
El blog
thankyoulocust
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008 09:00:20 AM »

I think I finally figured it out!  Check this pattern out:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=179540.msg1871014#msg1871014

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=179540.msg1879876#msg1879876

It's the one I started this morning and I think the yf is the same concept as the yf in the above pattern, and I'm doing ok with that.  I think I'm just too analytical sometimes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

soozeq
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2008 09:45:10 AM »

Yes, exactly. The yarn in front of the stitch makes the little bar across the stitch that you slipped.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Iced Pumpkin Mousse Pie Recipe
Crème Caramel Recipe
How to Make Brioche Bread and Butter Pudding
How to Make Homemade Peanut Butter Fudge
How to Make Hen Party Cupcakes in a Jar Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...