A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 299,126
Currently Running With Scissors:
632 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Chili Recipe?  (Read 2218 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Snowhite
« on: April 30, 2008 05:40:17 PM »

I am not vegetarian but do make vegetarian meals for my family several times a week.  Mainly because I can't stand touching meat and I am trying to work within a biweekly budget.

I have two kids..7 and 10... oh and my hubby... biggest kid of them all. 

I am looking for a good chili (meatless) recipe that will go perfect along side a baked potato or fresh baked bread.  I have tried so many recipes but they are either too sugary or too blah to actually add to my permenant menu.

Any recipes would be greatly appreciated... oh, and if it could be made in a crockpot.. it would be ideal.

Thanks In Advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jadegreen
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008 06:24:56 PM »

I make this chilli all the time, I like my chilli HOT so I add a fair bit of chilli powder and cayenne pepper but how much you add is up to your taste. My partner and I usually have enough leftover for lunch or dinner the next night so it should feed two adults and two children pretty easily.

Ingredients
4 soy sausages, chopped (optional, but I really really love using them in this)
1 med onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp tomato paste
2 cans crushed tomatoes
1 can black beans or red kidney beans or mexican chilli beans (whatever suits you)
1 tbsp ground cumin seeds
2 tbsp chilli powder (or less to your taste)
2 tbsp cayenne pepper (or less to your taste)
1 tbsp cocoa powder (this will take away the acidity of the tomatoes and give it a "meaty/hearty" taste)
1 bay leaf
few dashes tobasco
olive oil
2 cups small pasta (I use small tube soup pasta)

Method

Place oil in med-large saucepan and brown sausage chunks. Add onion and garlic and fry until onions brown a little. Add tomato paste and crushed tomatoes, make sure you add all the juice from the tins too. Add beans, spices (including bay leaf), tobasco and cocoa powder. Add 1 1/2 cups of water (or vegetable stock) and pasta. Cover and simmer for 10-15mins (or until pasta is soft). Remove bay leaf.

I like to serve this with some grated cheddar or parmesan cheese on top and some crusty bread rolls. It is such a hearty meal, it's great in winter. Hope that helps and you enjoy the recipe. It's a regular in this house.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008 06:27:22 PM by jadegreen » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Snowhite
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008 04:16:38 PM »

Hehe.. I had to read cocoa powder twice to make sure that is actually what it said.  TYVM for your recipe, it sounds delicious and like it will cook up quickly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bastelmutti
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008 05:26:12 PM »

My favorite, hands down, is Rae's Vegetarian Chili from Allrecipes.com. I have made it in a crock pot. The alcohol in the beer cooks off, but if you prefer not to use beer, I would add a touch of molasses or something similar for that depth of flavor. At first I thought the mustard powder was strange, but it works.

INGREDIENTS

* 4 cloves garlic, minced
    * 2 tablespoons olive oil
    * 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
    * 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
    * 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
    * 1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle beer
    * 4 tablespoons chili powder, or to taste
    * 1 tablespoon mustard powder
    * 1 teaspoon dried oregano
    * freshly ground black pepper
    * 1 teaspoon ground cumin
    * 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
    * 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
    * 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
    * 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
    * 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
    * 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
    * 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained and rinsed
    * 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese

DIRECTIONS

1. In a 4 quart pot, saute garlic in oil.
   2. Add diced tomatoes (undrained), tomato sauce, tomato paste, beer, chili powder, mustard powder, oregano, pepper, cumin, hot pepper sauce. Stir in the pinto beans, garbanzo beans, black beans, red and white kidney beans, and corn. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce heat, and let simmer for 20 minutes. Top each serving with cheese (if you'd like).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Snowhite
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008 04:32:33 PM »

Ty for your recipe.  I am making up my grocery list to go shopping this weekend.  I will let you all know how they turn out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lizlips
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008 09:04:33 AM »

I make veggie chili all the time, am always adjusting and re-working to suit whatever i have in my house. Basically I just take one or two cans of beans (usually a can of black beans and a can of Any's mixed chilli beans) and whatever veggies - grated carrots, tomatoes zucchini, corn, peas, whatever, really, that i have around, plus maybe a little bit of tomato paste for testure. I just saute everything really slowly, or i stick everything in the crockpot for an hour or two with chilli powder and whatever spices. It's always a big hit and a great way to use veggies up before they go bad if i have too many.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
heini
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008 07:59:41 AM »

We have made this couple of times and it's delicious.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

robosnail

80's Hairstyle Rock and Roll

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008 06:20:12 PM »

I made this a while ago, and it was pretty darn good.  (Keeping in mind that I'm from Canada, and we're not exactly chili experts up here.  So it might not technically be chili for all I know.)  Very hot though, you might want to cut back on the peppers if you're giving it to kids or non-spicy-loving husbands.  It'll probably work well in a slow cooker, too.

• A 600mL can diced tomatoes
    A 550mL can of beans (I used romano, but kidney would be good too)
    One small sunburst squash OR zucchini
    Half of one small butternut squash.  Or hell, use the whole thing.
    Four or five big button mushrooms.  I used brown, white would be fine.
    One big orange bell pepper
    One whole jalapeno, seeds and all
    A bit of vegetable oil
    A pinch of cayenne
    A pinch of paprika
    A pinch of nutmeg
    A pinch of  salt
    Zest of one whole, and juice of half one lime
In a medium pot, cook onions with vegetable oil until soft.  Chop the jalapeno into itty bitty peices, and the rest of the veggies into about 1/2 or 1 inch pieces.  Add all of the remaining ingredients to the pot, and stir together.  Cover and simmer for about 1/2 hour, or until the squash is soft, but not mushy.  It's really good with some cheddar cheese on top. 
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008 09:07:39 PM by hcaust » THIS ROCKS   Logged
krandui

I can be a complicated communicator...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008 09:04:56 PM »

I just throw in a few cans of whatever beans I have (usually using one can of beans in tomato sauce and either kidney, black or garbanzo) and then I add a can of tomatoes, a can of tomato paste, chili powder, and some salsa, and once that's all heated I add in corn (so it doesn't cook too long and get tough). It's so easy and makes some really tasty chili in just a couple of minutes. It freezes really well, so I always make a big batch and freeze it in individual containers so that it's easy for me to just take one out for lunch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Chicken Adobo - Part 1
How to Make Chicken Adobo - Part 2
How to Make Chicken Adobo - Part 3
Sauteed Salmon Salad Recipe
How to Cook Chicken Tikka Masala
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...