A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,395
Currently Running With Scissors:
768 Guests and 50 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cheap beans and grains recipes?  (Read 1935 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bunsenhoneydew13
copacetic

superherogirl.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2008 02:58:26 PM »

Beware...I got way wordy when typing this, but I've got lots of ideas on this topic:

Simple black beans and rice, served with tomatoes, is amazing.  Or you can try coconut black beans with basmati rice, and serve that with mangoes, cilantro and avocadoes.  Also, try different sauces.  You can make pastas a zillion ways when you think outside of the marinara box...I like pesto sometimes, peanut sauce at others.  Try adding beans to your pasta sauce.  Chickpeas (garbanzos) go really well with tomato.   

I like to cook rice in a saucepan, only use interesting things as the liquid.  For example, I often use veg broth/tomato juice as the cooking liquid, then add pieces of tomato and some beans (black beans or kidney beans work really well here, as would lots of other stuff).  You can put veg in, too.  I've used carrots, onions, squash and corn.  As far as spices go, that's personal preference.  You can make it taste mediterranean or mexican, whatever.  I like garlic, turmeric, and cumin.  Then just cover and cook your rice like normal, making sure it doesn't burn on the bottom of the pan.

Couscous pilafs are super easy: put couscous, dried fruit (if you like it-try cranberries, currants, figs or chopped apricots), beans (I like chickpeas) and chopped veg in a baking pan, then top with tofu/portobello mushrooms/whatever you want (or don't...tastes great by itself.)  Pour in some type of liquid (you don't need a lot) and cover the pan with foil.  As you bake this, the couscous steams and the veggies get tender.  Try putting fresh herbs in at the end, so their oils and scents get released.  Yum!

This has nothing to do with beans, but it does feature rice:  I like to make "undone" sushi...basically, make up sushi rice and put it on a plate.  Then put veg on top (whatever you'd normally put into your sushi:  I like carrots, cucumber, squash-all types, sweet potato, fancy mushrooms, anything that's texturally interesting) and serve it with cut-up nori sheets (or other seaweed).  I like to sprinkle sesame seeds on top, and you could drizzle it with sesame oil and/or soy sauce (or shoyu, or bragg's liquid aminos) if you want.  Sushi, without all of the hassle!

Try buying beans, lentils and grains in bulk.  Throw barley into soups to give them more substance.  Try polenta (the dry kind...the already-prepared stuff is expensive) as a base for sauces or sliced and panfried.  You can puree/mash white beans and use them kind of like you would mashed potatoes.  It's a nice change of pace.  I also like bulghur wheat.  You can dress it however you like, and it tastes good both cold and hot.

As far as lentils go, try lentil stew:  I just throw some sliced celery, carrots, onion, garlic, and whatever else I want into a pot and cook them a bit in olive oil.  Then I add either veg broth or water, and some simple seasonings and lastly, about 2 or 3 cups of lentils.  You have to mess around with this measurement...it depends if you want things soupy or more stew-like.  I boil it until it's really thick, and eat it with either rice or crusty bread.  This freezes and travels well!

I've made lentil loaf before, and it was sooooo easy and good!  I remember that it had walnuts, carrots, onion, rice, lentils, and other yumminess and it made 2 big loaves that were ridiculously tasty.  I don't have a recipe, but you could easily find one.  Also, try black bean burgers.  I made those the other night and all of the prep was done in the blender...then just formed little patties and cooked them on a skillet until they were crunchy.  They were delicious! 

Best of luck with your budget and I'm sorry I typed so freaking much.  I fed my fiance this way all through college, and we were able to save TONS of money.  I also got to constantly mess around with different cooking techniques, spices and ideas, so that's why I have so many things to share with you Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BTStars
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2008 06:06:03 PM »

Something my bf and I always eat is Angel Hair pasta, some extra virgin olive oil, and some spices.  I really like it with oregano.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jennfair
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2008 07:14:10 AM »

Let's see.....

We make a lot of dried beans in the crock pot. Red or Black Beans with tomato sauce, goya seasoning, onion and hot sauce served with brown rice for latin style beans. We let that go on high all day.

Last night we make dried chickpeas in the crockpot with onion (sauteed before), indian spices (I am sure you could use anything if you don;t like those) and herbs. About half way through we added a can of diced tomatoes and pureed about half of them. It was really rich and creamy! Same thing, on high all day.

We also like a dish we call Chickies and Spinach. Onion and Garlic sauteed, add 1 can chickpeas, let it go for a whilt add one box of frozen spinach and 1 can of diced tomates. Sautee until soft and season to taste. We serve this with cous cous.

Overall really cheap eats, but pretty yummy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
heini
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2008 02:50:30 PM »

Lentil soup, which can be eaten with bread.

Veggie balls/burgers/loaf made of beans and cheap vegetables such as carrot. I may have posted some kind of recipe somewhere here, I don't remember. If you want to, I can post a new recipe tomorrow. 1 am isn't a recipe writing time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

krandui

I can be a complicated communicator...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2008 09:17:35 PM »

I've been making a really great bean salad lately:

2/3 cup of brown sugar
1/2 cup vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1 large can of lentils
1 "regular" sized tin of each of these beans:
green
cut wax
butter
red kidney
white kidney

Cook the dressing until warm and dissolved. Pour over the drained beans/lentils. This lasts well in the fridge and can be frozen. Before I serve it or prep it for lunch I add chopped yellow/red/orange pepper.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LeesaLove
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2008 10:16:45 AM »

I haven't read through all of these but one of my fav meals is stewed tomaotes with zuccini & rice or coucous.

I stock up on stewd tomatoes when they are on sale. I open a can of stewed tomaotes, add a little minced raosted garlic simmer. drain a can of chick peas to add. & slice in some fresh zuccini & or summer squash. I also like it with sliced fresh mushrooms. simmer. server over couscous or rice.l I prefer brown rice or whole wheat coucous.  (I'm not vegan or veg  but in the summer that wiht a nice glass of wine. Yumm)  You can top with some grated parm & or bread crumbs don't know if the bread cumbs are veg or not?

also roasted sweet potoatoes & onions with a balsamic wine vinagarette over rice or noodles.

I like toasted chick peas over salads or to eat as  a snack.

I LOVE grits with lima beans.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Early Production Meetings
How to Put together the 16mm Camera
Production Begins (PART 2)
How to Film a Teaser Film
Production Begins (PART 1)
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...