A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,633
Currently Running With Scissors:
453 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Old Children's Books / Hardcover Books  (Read 54239 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

devmo
« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2007 07:41:21 AM »

This thread has me so inspired and excited! I can't remember where all of our old childrens books have gone to, but now I must find them and craft away!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A_Boiled_Lobster
Hero for the NerdCore

Hero for the NerdCore

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2007 03:07:43 PM »

make some of those really nifty secret stash safes by cutting out the center of all the pages!
you could also take the covers and replace the inside with envelopes for cds, DVDs, coins, cards, or whatever you use those for. that would be good for the thinner books.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DisneyMommyMichelle
« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2007 09:17:23 PM »

THese ideas are fabulous!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dare to Dream!
Check out my stuff!
www.michellescharmw orld.com
kellen46
« Reply #63 on: August 15, 2007 03:01:35 PM »

I have been taking old hardcovers and turning them into journals.  I take out the old text block and make a new one. I get paper scraps from the local printer and mostly they are the right size but any good 24lb paper will do. I then collage the outside with bits and pieces from my stash.   I don't throw anything away, illustrations are saved for collage and the text pages as well. http://[http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd19/kellen46/DSCF0102.jpg[/IMG]
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xnozomix
« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2007 11:15:29 AM »

You could use the covers and make them into a little box somehow, or laminate the pages into placemats, (so if you have a kid you can subliminally encourage reading (hehehe being sneaky is fun))
_nozomi_
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jaw827
« Reply #65 on: October 07, 2007 04:55:38 PM »

you could just keep everything in tack and collage other clippings and photos and stuff over parts of the pages and make a collage book. good activity for kids.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Chanel
« Reply #66 on: November 23, 2007 09:56:59 PM »

I once made flashcards for my son using old children's books and cardstock. Cut a page of the book with a picture and cut a matching piece of cardstock. If the picture is of a cat write the word cat on the cardstock. Put the 2 together so that the picture and word both show and then laminate them together to make the card. You could also do # cards or use an old deck of playing cards with the # side showing and a picture from the book on the other side to make a deck of playing cards. Or if you can match together enough of the same type pictures you could make a matching game.

Or laminate the pages and punch holes around the edge or around large areas of the picture and make sewing cards for young kids.

Or glue the pages onto heavy cardstock and cut them into pieces to make puzzles.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kleighcrafts
« Reply #67 on: January 21, 2008 04:08:05 PM »

Make a purse. Right now I'm making a purse out of the last Harry Potter book, although im not sure how. haha just an idea
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ursulaandolive

ursulaandolive.etsy.com

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #68 on: March 11, 2008 10:36:47 AM »

I make all sorts of items with the pages of old children's books.  I have a pin maker and I cut images out of the books and make pins, pocket mirrors and magnets with them.

I also make bookmarks - where I type a quote on a piece of pretty cardstock on one side and put a picture from a book on the other and then I laminate it.  I call them my no-frill bookmarks because I always hated using bookmarks with tons of beads and ribbon on them - the ones I make are about the size of a business card and fit in small paperbacks or large books just perfectly.

I also make notecards  - I simply cut the illustration out, mount it on a coordinating piece of cardstock and mount that on a blank notecard.  They turn out so lovely and make much nicer (and cheaper) cards than Hallmark.

I've made envelopes from the pages (I think someone earlier in this thread posted a link for instructions).  I ended up making mini-envelopes which were perfect for putting my business card in when giving them out to customers.

I've just recently tried taking a page from a book, sewing it with some vinyl to turn it into a business card holder.  It looks cute but I need to learn how to sew a straight line before I make one for someone else.  Smiley

So, get out those kids books and start crafting!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Grok Spock!
DancinInTheDark
Klutzy Paparazzi! ;]

Yeah, Train rocks. Best band ever!

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 09, 2008 03:24:44 PM »

There is a local girl in Seattle who rips all the pages out of hardcovers and then binds them with spiral binders and blank pages. Cutest journals....ever!! If you know anything about bookbinding, you could make some really cute stuff!
I don't know anything about book binding, but I did buy tons of plain composition books after the 'back-to-school' sales were over, for about twenty cents each! I'm working on decopadging and painting them for gifts. Now, I'll have to check out some of my kids' old books for more pictures!

I do that all the time with composition books. Cheesy I love to decorate them and make them interesting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Me + Craftster = LOVE. Wink
Hey soul sister, ain't that Mister Mister playin' on the stereo, radio? -Train
http://prodegebanners.sitegrip.com/images/swagbucks-173x63Alt1.jpg
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tips for Finding the Perfect Swimsuit Fit
Three Ways to Nail the Peplum Trend
What 21st Century Librarians Are Wearing
Lana Del Rey Styles Up a Summer-Perfect Mini Dress on Stage
Tips for Flawless Fourth of July Looks
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...