A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,575
Currently Running With Scissors:
681 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Old Children's Books / Hardcover Books  (Read 54115 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

eve
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2004 03:48:42 PM »

Wow, so many creative ideas! I am glad I found this board! Ill post pics of my book projects soon Wink
Thanks,
eve
THIS ROCKS   Logged
withoutAclue

Pippilotta in a jampot...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2004 08:15:03 AM »

Now I'm regretting the final heave-ho of my old Babar books. Gar.

This one begs to be reborn as jewelry.
*start with a chain of bronze or de-finished paper clips,
*cut wide strips from the pages of your books and coat them in Mod-podge, nail polish, or clear glue
*then wrap one strip around each paper clip and let dry.
Voila: A dangly, colorful necklace for when you're feeling 70s D.I.Y. chic.  Also, this project is wide open for creative tweaks: try accenting with origami paper or wrapping paper. What happens when you use thin strips? Or larger paper clips?

That gives me another idea along the lines of adornment- making storybook sequins!
*Carefully laminate your favorite pages or seal them with contact paper.  
*Next, either use a small/medium arts&crafts hole puncher to cut 3/4in to 1in circles, or trust your hand-eye skills and cut circles yourself.  Make as many as you like.
*These large, flat "sequins" now need only a tiny hole at the top, and they're ready to dangle from anything.  
These will make spectacular earrings if you layer and cluster them!

~wAc~
THIS ROCKS   Logged
seeshells

...a Picasso or a Garfunkel...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2004 11:02:47 AM »

There is a local girl in Seattle who rips all the pages out of hardcovers and then binds them with spiral binders and blank pages. Cutest journals....ever!! If you know anything about bookbinding, you could make some really cute stuff!
I don't know anything about book binding, but I did buy tons of plain composition books after the 'back-to-school' sales were over, for about twenty cents each! I'm working on decopadging and painting them for gifts. Now, I'll have to check out some of my kids' old books for more pictures!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
senor coconut

I've got a plan and it's as hot as my pants!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2004 01:38:31 PM »

I scored today with a Wolf cub scout handbook and a Bear Cub scout handbook from the late fifties---.29 each! The covers are awesome and just screaming to be made into purses.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Si Non Oscillas Noli Tintinnare
(If you aint swingin', don't bother ringin.)
BellaKarma

What Goes Around-Comes Around-So Make it Beautiful

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2004 07:44:19 PM »

I don't know anything about book binding, but I did buy tons of plain composition books after the 'back-to-school' sales were over, for about twenty cents each! I'm working on decopadging and painting them for gifts. Now, I'll have to check out some of my kids' old books for more pictures!

Ahhh! 20 cents each! I've become addicted to altering composition notebooks...wow...2 0cents a piece...

http://members.aol.com/jezebelsjeans/

There's a thread on composition books too:

http://www.craftster.org/yabbse/index.php?board=18;action=display;threadid=368

« Last Edit: February 21, 2004 07:46:42 PM by JezebelsJeans » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stix on the Beach: Tales From The Happiest Hooker!
www.bellakarma.com
seeshells

...a Picasso or a Garfunkel...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2004 12:57:35 PM »

Yeah, 5 for a dollar. I wasn't sure what exactly I'd do with them, but I bought 25 since they were so cheap.

JezebelsJeans, those journals are beautiful. I love the bird woman. And thanks for the thread. I'll see about posting some pix over there.

Another idea I just thought of for the kid's books is bookmarks. I'm going to take a favorite picture book page, cut it to bookmark size, and cover with clear contact paper. I just found some old torn-up Sesame Street books that were my favorites, so that's my first book mark project.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BellaKarma

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2004 01:40:02 PM »

Yeah, 5 for a dollar.

JezebelsJeans, those journals are beautiful. I love the bird woman. And thanks for the thread. I'll see about posting some pix over there.

Another idea I just thought of for the kid's books is bookmarks. I'm going to take a favorite picture book page, cut it to bookmark size..."

Good deal! I can't wait for the Back-to-School sales!

The bookmarks sound neat! I love bookmarks...but they are so darn expensive at the stores...I bought one a while back for almost 2 bucks. I'm looking at it right now...thinking..wit h 2 bucks worth of supplies...I could make a hundred of these!  Oh....you just gave me an idea!

I've been having so many ideas lately...last night while my daughter was online...and I was in bed...I was having her transcribe my ideas in e-mail so I wouldn't forget them this morning. I'm keeping track of them on index cards. I'm sort of a "late-bloomer" when it comes to mixed-media art..or art of any kind other than writing (which is my first passion)...my mom and daughter are both highly gifted artists...and I was always bummed that it skipped a generation.  Cry
Now...and I mean.. really recently...I'm starting to feel I'm in my element when it comes to arts and crafts.

Thank you for the kind words regarding the journals. A gal over at the other thread inspired me with her idea of decorating the covers. Instead of using them as journals, I have them placed like frames on my table. Which gave me another idea (one that must've been mentioned before) is to buy a bunch of cheap children's hardcover books (because they come in so many shapes and sizes..and less pages)...rip the pages out...so all I have left is the hardcover...and then design a front cover...inside (maybe one scene on both insides)..and the back...and place it as if a frame..that way you have an image every angle you look at it.

I know of some thrift stores/used bookstores where the children's books are 10-25 cents...much cheaper than buying frames..even cheaper than at the 99er  Grin

Thanks again for the compliments!

Jill
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.bellakarma.com
withoutAclue

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2004 01:34:24 PM »

jezebel'sjeans:

Oooo.  Me like. Shocked
~wAc~
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BellaKarma

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2004 06:47:29 PM »

jezebel'sjeans:

Oooo.  Me like. Shocked
~wAc~

Was it the boobies?  Grin
Thank you wAc...I truly enjoy altering the composition books...my mom just picked up two at Target for me...76 cents each...yay...cheape r than the dollar store! Right now I am working on an altered hardcover book. This one is a lot of fun...and after this one...I have an idea set for another altered composition book.

Jill

« Last Edit: February 23, 2004 06:48:16 PM by JezebelsJeans » THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.bellakarma.com
withoutAclue

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2004 04:31:43 PM »

Art is all about boobies, especially those with realistic droop factor.

I'm glad you've found a crafty outlet! And keep posting your work, I love it.

Bookmarks! Stellar idea.  I've been using playing cards lately, but my brother yanks them out to color on them.

~wAc~
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Apply Digital Makeup in Photoshop Part 3a
How to Apply Digital Makeup in Photoshop Part 2c
How to Apply Digital Makeup in Photoshop Part 1c
How to Apply Digital Makeup in Photoshop Part 1b
How to Apply Digital Makeup in Photoshop Part 1a
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...