A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 302,549
Currently Running With Scissors:
739 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My Skittle Wrapper Prom Dress-(updated)  (Read 169223 times)
Tags for this thread: craftster_best_of_2008 , anything_but_clothes , prom_dress , prom  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Theperilouspopsicle
Jack of all trades

I turn trash into trashy.

View Profile
« on: April 30, 2008 04:55:00 PM »

This year for prom i decided to make my own dress, something a bit more unconventional. I was thinking about the clothing ive seen people make from garbadge bags and decided to make my prom dress out of unconventional materials as well...however i wanted something bright and colorful which hadnt been done before.

for those of you who dont know (and that should be just about all of you) i happen to love rainbows. And seeing as i hadn't had a bag of skittles in awhile (and recalled them being far better than in actuality) I made my decision. it would be made of skittle wrappers.

I ended up wearing it to my school's film fest in which i accidentally won first place for costume (i hadn't even entered, they pulled me up on stage! ) Mind you i was also 45 minutes late because i saved most of it to be done the day of the event.

I'll definetly post lots of photographs of me in the dress for prom...it does look rather epic on. (i only had one photo before i rushed off to film fest and seeing as i had pulled an all nighter it was rather unpleasant.) I'll also tell you peoples reactions...because thats always fun as well...(i got alot of people asking if ive seen project runway...i dont have cable so i cant but im definetly looking to rent the dvds if they have them!)
EDIT: new photos!(and how prom went at the end)

http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/medium/skittles_dress_2.jpg
full dress hanging up..

and a closeup on the hem...woo for skittle fringe!

stats:
15 hours
101 skittle wrappers.

a rather neat thing about this project is that i posted ads on craigs list for wrappers and people actually sent me quite a few!

oh and yeah, turns out i don't really like skittles..only the red ones. and after this project i dont think i'll ever want skittles again (i had my friends eating most of them...hey! it was like a recycling AND a feed the hungry project)

New:
Prom went really well, my dress was a total hit and tons of people stopped to talk to me and take photos. Even during afterparty when i disguised myself in a tshirt and jeans there were still people running up to talk to me/ 'omg thats the skittles girl!'. So all in all it was a great night, and the dress was definitely a success...now i wonder what i'll make next seeing as i want to do more unconventional material work.

if you clicked this rocks it would be greatly appreciated <3
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013 02:13:03 PM by Theperilouspopsicle » THIS ROCKS   Logged
violentjayne
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008 05:04:26 PM »

very cool ! and wow thats alot of Skittles  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CaribouOnTheSea

I could make that.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008 05:06:23 PM »

WOW!!!  this is amazing and super-inspiring.... did you use the sewing machine to sew them together?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I log my tales of sewing, crafting, thrifting, and traveling over at  www.rtthvintage.blo gspot.com
Theperilouspopsicle
Jack of all trades

I turn trash into trashy.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008 05:09:17 PM »

WOW!!!  this is amazing and super-inspiring.... did you use the sewing machine to sew them together?
at first i was going to handsew them but then i did a bit with the machine and decided to continue with that (soooo much faster and sturdy...)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SmileOrphea
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008 05:13:55 PM »

This is wonderful! I love the idea, I have never seen anything like this before. And skittles was a great idea (they aren't very rainbow-y but they are bright).

"This rocks!"
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Elle the crafter teen
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008 05:18:06 PM »

This DOES ROck. Really spectacular.  I don't have cable either, but I know that you can rent Project Runway at Blockbuster.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You know me! I'm that musical loving, Wicked obsessed, knitting, aspiring crafter girl with that weird user name!
juliusmunki

I have no excuses for my behavior

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008 05:23:02 PM »

Shocked  WHOA - This totally rocks !!  I love skittles !!  You should update us with a prom night pic!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lucifers angel

craftster for life!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008 05:27:49 PM »

wow this is soooo cool! well done the dress turned out brilliantly!
oh..and welcome to crafster!!:D
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008 05:29:19 PM by lucifers angel » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Awesome Monkey
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2008 06:08:13 PM »

woah im totally impressed!! i cant wait to see the pics of you wearing it at prom! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheWomanMonster
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008 06:09:48 PM »

Wow!! This is amazing,
can't wait to see photos of it in action.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheWomanMonster. I'm crafty!
"You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star." - Nietzsche.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Fried Rice
How to Cook Wild Rice
How to Cook Teriyaki Sauce
How to Cook Brown Rice
Chicken Satay- Chicken Satay Peanut - Chicken Satay Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...