A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 298,632
Currently Running With Scissors:
692 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Scared to DEATH- clothing for me  (Read 1694 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

RockstarMom
Missing my crafting time

Shhhhh.... I'm using glue!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: April 30, 2008 02:41:14 PM »

Thought I'd post here since I am "above average" with my overall size. Grin

So where do I start?

Yeah, I am scared to make clothes for myself. I am top heavy (36DD according to VS) with a slightly above average middle area and no matter what- I always seem to end up making the tops of my dresses and shirts not large enough.

I got this pattern http://www.newlookpatterns.com/dv1_v4.cfm?design=6699 because it seems to be large enough to fit and I couldn't find the exact or close enough pattern in the plus sizes. Sad I know it's easier to size down where you need it, but I just couldn't find anything. *sigh*

I'm making the white dress and the purple one (but in this super flower print for the purple and a green gingham for the white one Wink ) and I am also making my 3yo matching dresses so I REALLY do not want to screw it up! I have a feeling I am going to have to make the bodice area bigger. Any tips on how I can do that? Words of encouragement? Should I match the bodice pieces of the pattern to a dress top that I know fits?  Huh

Undecided I am beyond nervous making myself a dress and I am hoping to have it done by Saturday so I can wear it to the Air Race this weekend.

Help? Please?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Spring semester is kicking my butt.
SpottedFrog
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008 04:15:54 PM »

There's a lot of separate pattern pieces that all need to get adjusted there:/ Unless you have the house completely to yourself I wouldn't pressure yourself to get it done by this weekend.

You need the "full bust adjustment" info, I don't have the link bookmarked (sorry) but it's here several places.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RockstarMom
Missing my crafting time

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008 07:36:03 PM »

There's a lot of separate pattern pieces that all need to get adjusted there:/ Unless you have the house completely to yourself I wouldn't pressure yourself to get it done by this weekend.

You need the "full bust adjustment" info, I don't have the link bookmarked (sorry) but it's here several places.
I'll search on here for that! I couldn't think of the words I needed. I'll also Google it. I am on HowTo.com right now trying to figure it out. I have spent all afternoon/evening washing, drying and ironing my fabrics. Once I get the top figured out, the rest should be gravy... right?  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kaitlinnegan
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008 09:36:59 PM »

A-line or full skirts are usually very easy.  As long as they fit in the waist, you usually don't need to worry about adjusting for large hips because they flare out over that area.  Full bust adjustments aren't that hard once you get the hang of it, but don't be discouraged if they leave you a little confused the first time.  Definitely worth it to get a nice fit in the bust.  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My sewing message board: Sew What's Up
RockstarMom
Missing my crafting time

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008 11:18:19 PM »

I think I did it right. I hope it's right. I have PLENTY of fabric if I screwed up the bodice, but I have it done, lined and straps on. When I tried it on it fit nicely too with enough room for the zipper! Shocked Shocking...

No worries about hips for me, I haven't really got them or a butt. Sad I am one of those super-unfortunate ones that carries a belly instead.  Cry I think the midriff will fit fine on this dress.

Quick question- The fabric I am using NEEDS a lining. I just do the lining the same way I did it for the bodice and midriff, right? Only sew the bottom of the skirt to the lining so I won't have to hem it? Just top-stitching after like the others?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kaitlinnegan
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008 06:11:31 AM »

Quick question- The fabric I am using NEEDS a lining. I just do the lining the same way I did it for the bodice and midriff, right? Only sew the bottom of the skirt to the lining so I won't have to hem it? Just top-stitching after like the others?

I would hem the outer skirt and the lining separately.  If you sew them together, the skirt might pull funny if the lining isn't *exactly* cut the same as the skirt.  Sewing them together will also change the drape of the skirt and might make it more bulky.  Hem the lining an inch or so shorter than the outer skirt, so it doesn't show - the good news is the hem on the lining won't really show, so you don't have to worry about it looking pretty, you just have to finish the edge.

Sounds like you are doing great.  Remember, we want to see pictures when you're done!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My sewing message board: Sew What's Up
RockstarMom
Missing my crafting time

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008 10:54:33 AM »

I would hem the outer skirt and the lining separately.  If you sew them together, the skirt might pull funny if the lining isn't *exactly* cut the same as the skirt.  Sewing them together will also change the drape of the skirt and might make it more bulky.  Hem the lining an inch or so shorter than the outer skirt, so it doesn't show - the good news is the hem on the lining won't really show, so you don't have to worry about it looking pretty, you just have to finish the edge.

Sounds like you are doing great.  Remember, we want to see pictures when you're done!   Grin

Oh good, you responded before I started on the lining! *whew* Okay, I am about to do the lining, skirt is cut, sewn and ready to be attached. I have to see it I have and cheat tape.... errr.... I mean read bias tape. I HATE hemming!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RockstarMom
Missing my crafting time

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008 08:56:13 PM »

It's done! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=243643.0  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SpottedFrog
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008 07:10:44 AM »

I'm darned proud of you too Smiley The way you wrote up your original post made it sound like you had a pattern 5 sizes too small, obviously it only needed a tiny bit of tweaking. It looks fantastic!

See? you really can sew for yourself Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RockstarMom
Missing my crafting time

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2008 10:09:01 AM »

I'm darned proud of you too Smiley The way you wrote up your original post made it sound like you had a pattern 5 sizes too small, obviously it only needed a tiny bit of tweaking. It looks fantastic!

See? you really can sew for yourself Smiley

It's scary when you jack up every pattern you buy to try again!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
AOL Motion Canvas: Dancers Man
How Practice Enables Mastery in a Creative Career - Bijoy Goswami
Are Butts The New Boobs?
Social Media, the New Movie Killer?
Follow Your Dreams or Get Paid?
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament
Falling for Autumn Crafts
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Roll with Maple Cream Cheese Filling

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...