A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 304,877
Currently Running With Scissors:
756 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Book Reviews  (Read 4861 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2009 06:02:54 AM »

I remember, when first exploring the boards, that it was one the things I looked for and couldn't find. If a new board is not an option, maybe a pinned subject on top of each section?

Would tagging not suffice?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
Atrandom
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2009 07:24:14 AM »

I remember, when first exploring the boards, that it was one the things I looked for and couldn't find. If a new board is not an option, maybe a pinned subject on top of each section?

Would tagging not suffice?

I'm a good girl  Grin so I tried the method you mentioned earlier, clicking on the book review tag. It's not a bad solution but it brings up all books and not only the ones on the topic that interests you. For instance, i'm mostly into crochet so I don't really care about "Making your own soap" books. And vice-versa.

Let's say that this would be a "nice-to-have" feature rather than a "must-have" one since there are other options for those who want to look for a book review.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PimpernelSmith

I'm sooo over due to get over an ocean...*waves at far away places*

Jack of all Crafts -- Master of None

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2009 07:29:54 AM »

I don't think another board is necessary.  Each review can be posted on the appropriate/particular craft board and then tagged with "book review."

Then, if you go to the tag cloud (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?action=tags), you can click Book Review (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?action=tags;sa=showtopics;tag=book_review) and see a list of all book reviews.

Tag, tag, tag! Smiley

Okay, I know I'm dense and clueless, and this is probably obvious to others but: HOW do I get to the cloud?
Using Sweets link shows me that it would be uber-usefull, but I can't see how to get there from either the Home or Community pages...??  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.Dave Barry
leah
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

formerly "the craftster admin" - viva craftster!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2009 07:48:03 AM »

In the right-hand side bar on Craftster there's  button that says "View Topics by Tag."

I asked this in a different thread about product reviews but I wanted to ask here too...

What do you think of integrating Amazon book pages right into Craftster and using their review system? You wouldn't have to leave Craftster (because it would be embedded in Craftster) which is nice. But you would need to use an Amazon account to leave your own review.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to support Craftster? Find out about becoming a Friend of Craftster!

{ craftastic.com | leahkramer.com | helloadorable.com }
PimpernelSmith

I'm sooo over due to get over an ocean...*waves at far away places*

Jack of all Crafts -- Master of None

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2009 08:55:28 AM »

In the right-hand side bar on Craftster there's  button that says "View Topics by Tag."

*smacks self upside the head*  Grin  THANK YOU!!

I'm sorta indifferent to Amazon being included here, simply because I use it anyway; I like craftster reviews because I can see the poster's work and have a feel for how well their opinions align...if that makes sense?

*a tagging i shall go -- a tagging i shall go -- hi ho the craftster  oh -- a tagging i shall go!*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.Dave Barry
lil_abi
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2011 06:24:34 PM »

I was just glancing up at my bookshelf, noting with twinge of regret the craft books I've bought that have turned out to be disappointing, wishing I had been able to read a Craftster review by actual users.  I also know people often recommend books in the boards (like sewing instruction books).  Brainstorm!!

Wouldn't it be great to be able to read user-generated book reviews of craft books?  Wouldn't it be awesome to have a board where people could recommend books they love, and warn people about books they don't?

Example: I was looking forward to "Stray Sock Sewing", and purchased it on ebay, only to find out that very few of the adorable creatures in the beginning galleries were actually represented in the "instruction" portion of the book.  Disappointed!  On the other hand, "Generation T" has turned out to be a great book, full of wonderful ideas, easy-to-follow instructions, and variations you can do for each project. 

How about it, crafters?  How about it, Craftster?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mama to baby twins.  Frantic crafter while they nap!

My blog: http://SLiPsofthetongue.wordpress.com

DH's humorous and often offensive blog: http://mymasonicapron.blogspot.com
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2011 02:22:03 AM »

lil_abi totally agree, I cannot go into a bookshop and look at any of these books before buying as most of the ones that I like are simply not there..so a review would be great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Pulled Pork Sandwich
Cornbread Dressing Recipe
Grilled Miller Lite Brats
Citrus BBQ Beer Can Chicken
Miller Lite Prosciutto And Pepper-Stuffed Pork Chops
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...