A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 296,697
Currently Running With Scissors:
455 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Book Reviews  (Read 4759 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nyssa1231
« on: April 30, 2008 10:25:13 AM »

This isn't a new topic suggestion, but I really liked it when Craftster had a "Books & Magazines" topic.  I think the threads were merged into the relevant topics, like sewing books under sewing, etc.  It was so much easier to peruse the threads and see what sewing books people were talking about.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008 10:33:34 AM »

I think you mean the Reviews, Recommendations, Dissuasions Board, right?

Yeah, it really didn't get as much use as we would have liked it to, though. Sad  Lots of the books & magazines were already getting posted in their relevant categories, so we thought we'd go with the flow, so to speak.  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=199316.0

Maybe we'll come up with a better solution/format in the future.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
smittenheart

Let go of what's already gone..

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008 11:27:06 AM »

it would be a great aspect(in my opinion) to have a book review section of each category..like knitting-knitting books etc..

I am a book junkie and it would help alot if I could get feedback before buying..or even a faves..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

its ME!!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=327537.0

http://cowandpigdesigns.etsy.com
http://cowandpigdesigns.blogspot.com
Soap licking is dangerous..please dont try it at home

will trade some soap for a superhero cape which will be used by the kid in my avatar ^^
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008 11:28:27 AM »

Members can definitely post book reviews within each category.  It would really help if they would put "book review" in the subject line, though.  I've run across quite a few that don't use the title of the book or "book review" in the subject line.  Proper tagging would also be a GREAT benefit to book reviews.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008 11:34:23 AM by sweets4ever » THIS ROCKS   Logged

leah
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

formerly "the craftster admin" - viva craftster!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008 01:16:07 PM »

I've thought about this too! It definitely one of those ideas rolling around in the back of my head to try and come up with a good solution for some day.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to support Craftster? Find out about becoming a Friend of Craftster!

{ craftastic.com | leahkramer.com | helloadorable.com }
smittenheart

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008 06:30:10 PM »

*blush*

I thought something Leah thought of ..wow..I am giggling with anticipation to see what happens..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

its ME!!

will trade some soap for a superhero cape which will be used by the kid in my avatar ^^
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008 06:31:00 PM »

Great minds think alike!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cinderwench
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008 06:21:06 PM »

I echo the sentiment. I haunt the clothing boards and I see many requests for book recommendations from beginners. Having a central place for them to go within their subject (sewing, knitting, etc.) would give everyone a place to browse without having to go through everything.

I'd also suggest that reviews and comments on older, classic books be given. Used book stores and the web make it easy to find almost any book, and sometimes the older books are better than the newer ones, especially if a trend "recycles." Who knows, macrame or candlewicking or netted purses may be next year's "in" craft, and people will want to know which of the older books are any good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

She selects wool and flax and works with eager hands. Proverbs 31:13 NIV
HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008 07:19:28 PM »

Ditto all said above. It would be very convenient to have other Craftsters opinions on books.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

antarcticraft

Head Counselor of Camp Crochet

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2008 07:04:21 PM »

I support this! I think it would be especially helpful if there were a separate section, because some books (Get Crafty, Anticraft) contain multiple crafts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vote for the winner of Crochet Challenge 9, our first Stitch-Off! For this challenge, participants explored Shell Stitch. Vote here!
umheried
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2008 06:44:22 AM »

I didn't even know that there was a thread about this topic, but I was totally thinking the same thing.  I just got a bunch of new books, and I wish that I had some "craftster" input before I bought some of them.  Sad  Reviews on Amazon are fine, but I would much prefer reviews from people who have similiar opinions to mine (fun & funky, not a grandmotherly point of view).  I can't wait to see how this will shape up! Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

canamharris
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2008 12:25:04 PM »

I love this idea. Like if there was book review section that would be so awesome. I usually just randomly check books out from the libarary and most times they aren't that great. Darn that library. I would love to have people's insight into what craft books rawk their socks off.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yorkshirebadger
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2008 05:46:44 AM »

I recently bought two books on beginners quilting from amazon, they both had good ratings and reviews, when they arrived one was wonderful and helpful and inspiring the other was a real let down, incredibly basic tips that you could pick up in half an hour of skimming the craftster quilting forums, with really boring designs.

My idea is on each subject forum (toys, sewing, quilting, etc) to have a board where we can post any resources we've found useful and inspiring, be it a blog, book or website giving a review stating in which way it it useful to us. I know when trying out a new tecnique or skill we all like advise on where to look for ideas and help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2009 10:59:53 AM »

I live in rural ireland and so dont have access to big bookshops, also in ireland craft is not nearly as big as it is in the US, so I tend to buy craft books via amazon, the problem is of course that I only have the reveiws on amazon to go by,

Is there a board/place on craftster where I can see craft books reviewed?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JadedJenn

Valar morghulis.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2009 09:33:27 PM »

This would be a great idea!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Also, I can kill you with my brain."
My Wists
Jinjeet Phoenix

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2009 12:48:02 AM »

Great idea.  When I think of it, I think it's strange that we don't have it.  I've seen a few posts all through Craftster but not a specific place for craft book reviews.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smittenheart

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2009 08:45:26 AM »

there isnt..but I know I suggested it a few months ago and I think there was a suggestion of putting a thread about it in the section that fits it..such as sewing books in sewing..and ask for recommendations or ask for a review for a specific book..

but I love it since I love books..internet is a good resource too but I love books..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

its ME!!

antarcticraft

Head Counselor of Camp Crochet

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2009 10:07:23 AM »

I almost feel like a separate general board would be good, because some books (like Anticraft, Super Crafty, etc.) have many crafts!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vote for the winner of Crochet Challenge 9, our first Stitch-Off! For this challenge, participants explored Shell Stitch. Vote here!
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2009 10:19:08 AM »

I don't think another board is necessary.  Each review can be posted on the appropriate/particular craft board and then tagged with "book review."

Then, if you go to the tag cloud (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?action=tags), you can click Book Review (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?action=tags;sa=showtopics;tag=book_review) and see a list of all book reviews.

Tag, tag, tag! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Atrandom
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2009 05:38:55 AM »

I remember, when first exploring the boards, that it was one the things I looked for and couldn't find. If a new board is not an option, maybe a pinned subject on top of each section?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2009 06:02:54 AM »

I remember, when first exploring the boards, that it was one the things I looked for and couldn't find. If a new board is not an option, maybe a pinned subject on top of each section?

Would tagging not suffice?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Atrandom
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2009 07:24:14 AM »

Would tagging not suffice?

I'm a good girl  Grin so I tried the method you mentioned earlier, clicking on the book review tag. It's not a bad solution but it brings up all books and not only the ones on the topic that interests you. For instance, i'm mostly into crochet so I don't really care about "Making your own soap" books. And vice-versa.

Let's say that this would be a "nice-to-have" feature rather than a "must-have" one since there are other options for those who want to look for a book review.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PimpernelSmith

I'm sooo over due to get over an ocean...*waves at far away places*

Jack of all Crafts -- Master of None

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2009 07:29:54 AM »

I don't think another board is necessary.  Each review can be posted on the appropriate/particular craft board and then tagged with "book review."

Then, if you go to the tag cloud (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?action=tags), you can click Book Review (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?action=tags;sa=showtopics;tag=book_review) and see a list of all book reviews.

Tag, tag, tag! Smiley

Okay, I know I'm dense and clueless, and this is probably obvious to others but: HOW do I get to the cloud?
Using Sweets link shows me that it would be uber-usefull, but I can't see how to get there from either the Home or Community pages...??  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.Dave Barry
leah
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

formerly "the craftster admin" - viva craftster!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2009 07:48:03 AM »

In the right-hand side bar on Craftster there's  button that says "View Topics by Tag."

I asked this in a different thread about product reviews but I wanted to ask here too...

What do you think of integrating Amazon book pages right into Craftster and using their review system? You wouldn't have to leave Craftster (because it would be embedded in Craftster) which is nice. But you would need to use an Amazon account to leave your own review.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to support Craftster? Find out about becoming a Friend of Craftster!

{ craftastic.com | leahkramer.com | helloadorable.com }
PimpernelSmith

I'm sooo over due to get over an ocean...*waves at far away places*

Jack of all Crafts -- Master of None

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2009 08:55:28 AM »

In the right-hand side bar on Craftster there's  button that says "View Topics by Tag."

*smacks self upside the head*  Grin  THANK YOU!!

I'm sorta indifferent to Amazon being included here, simply because I use it anyway; I like craftster reviews because I can see the poster's work and have a feel for how well their opinions align...if that makes sense?

*a tagging i shall go -- a tagging i shall go -- hi ho the craftster  oh -- a tagging i shall go!*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.Dave Barry
lil_abi
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2011 06:24:34 PM »

I was just glancing up at my bookshelf, noting with twinge of regret the craft books I've bought that have turned out to be disappointing, wishing I had been able to read a Craftster review by actual users.  I also know people often recommend books in the boards (like sewing instruction books).  Brainstorm!!

Wouldn't it be great to be able to read user-generated book reviews of craft books?  Wouldn't it be awesome to have a board where people could recommend books they love, and warn people about books they don't?

Example: I was looking forward to "Stray Sock Sewing", and purchased it on ebay, only to find out that very few of the adorable creatures in the beginning galleries were actually represented in the "instruction" portion of the book.  Disappointed!  On the other hand, "Generation T" has turned out to be a great book, full of wonderful ideas, easy-to-follow instructions, and variations you can do for each project. 

How about it, crafters?  How about it, Craftster?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mama to baby twins.  Frantic crafter while they nap!

My blog: http://SLiPsofthetongue.wordpress.com

DH's humorous and often offensive blog: http://mymasonicapron.blogspot.com
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2011 02:22:03 AM »

lil_abi totally agree, I cannot go into a bookshop and look at any of these books before buying as most of the ones that I like are simply not there..so a review would be great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Style Your College Campus Gear
Get The Blake Lively Style
See How Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Do Paris
Wear Your Chambray Shirt a New Way Every Day
5 Ways to Revamp Your Fall Wardrobe
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...